www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: FRV 2011 Fall Tournament

Default FRV 2011 Fall Tournament

Finished up the FRV Series with my very good friend Sam Wilson this past Saturday. 40 teams on the water and only 3 muskies registered. Congrats go out to good friend "Musky" Russ Schaller and his son Chris who boated 2 of the 3 muskies for 1st place and Big Fish. Lakes were in the middle of turnover with temps in the 53-55 range; clarity poor to fair with weeds still very green in areas. Sam and I fished Petite, Bluff, Marie, Channel and Catherine. We did not even see a muskie. Spent some time trolling and ended up snagging a couple of carp with one of them in the 20 lb. range. Talk about some "dead weight". The scale I got back on this thing was the size of a half-dollar. We were one of the lucky teams to get into the money as the FRV raffled off the other 8 places. "Life is Good"
    Phil Gutmann
    www.muske62.com

phil,
    I have a quick question reguarding turnover whats the typical time frame that it will last. I know it is probably weather related but if the chain is in the middle of turnover right now when would you expect it to be complete.

Thanks,

Erik

Erik:

Turnover for the most part will begin when the water temps are around 58-59. As the water cools, it sinks which forces up the warmer water from the depths. As this occurs, if the the lake has developed a thermocline (which the Fox Chain does) the thermocline will break down. Weather is the biggest key to how fast or how slow turover completes itself. Cool temperatures and wind are a plus. Usually, water temps will be in the 50-53 degree range once the process is over and the water colomns stabilize. At this point, the oxygen levels are the same thoughout the lake and the fishing should start to pickup again. Hope this helps!
    Phil Gutmann
    www.muske62.com