www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fall smallies

Default Fall smallies

Water temps in the bay have dropped into the mid 50's after this last big blow - time to start chasing smallies on the breaklines! Made my first trip this afternoon, and finally broke the 20 inch mark this season, (crossed paths with several since the opener, but they all managed to get off.) Worked the west bank between Escanaba and Gladstone this afternoon. Saw a lot of fish on top, but they weren't super active. Did manage to fool three into biting - 17, 19 1/2 and 20 1/4 inches. Also caught 2 small bonus pike. Caught them all on red tail chubs on a drop-shot rig.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	October bass 002_edited a.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	14783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	October bass 011 b.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	14784  
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

Default smallmouth

BEAUTIFUL fish!!! Very nice!

Default Big Fall Smallies

As Chris stated earlier this week the smallmouth are just starting to stage, warm weather and water temperature has slowed things down. My fishing partner and I did alright with minnows on Sunday. The quality (3-4lbs) of fish was there just not the quantity. Went back out Wednesday evening but this time without minnows since all the bait stores were sold out, what??? We threw out almost the entire artificial bait arsenal we had with us but nothing. Two hours later I switched to a 2 inch gobie green tube and started dragging it around. Keep getting nibbles from gobies or perch then a Tap, set the hook. Head shaker, yes! That almost always means a big one, then it came up and jumped. Kept the rod low and tension on back down it went. As my partner struggled to get the net unfolded I finally got a good look at it, at least 5lbs. He got a look at it as he netted it he agreed it was at least 5, that was until it was in the boat. What a hog!!! It measured out at 21" and weighted 6 lbs 3oz, that’s one big fat toad as Chris likes to call them! Snapped some photos and put her back in and watched her swim away. Biggest bass I ever caught, not bad for Little Bay, they just grow big up here in the Bays de Noc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6lbs3ozToadsmWEB.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	14822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6lbs3ozToadBellyWeb.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	14823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6lbs3ozScale_web.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	14824  

Now that is some high quality smallie action... good show... My wife has one a little over 21 on the wall.(only 5 3/4#) Caught a few years ago so I tell her in those days it was easy to get one like that... (What I have to say cause she set the bar high enough i aint beat it yet) Nice fish... Now I know she is out there next year .....next year......lol