www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky Patterns

Default Musky Patterns

Yo Herbie! How's it hangin'?

I am attempting to plan a musky trip next year with my cohorts for a week other than the first week of the season. I need some help.

When do the ski's typically "turn on" for Eagle? Or better yet, when is the most productive time one should look to go? I have been monitoring your fishing reports this season and they are full of quality information. Paints a solid picture of what's happening on Eagle. However, it always seems like the muskies are just about ready to turn on report after report. Quality fish are always caught out of your camp which is a testament to your staff / guides and how hard they work to put your guests on fish but it doesn't seem like this year has shown defined, classic patterns. Seems like you always have to check all structure on a daily basis. That's probably just the classic pattern of musky fishing, or lack thereof. Wondering your thoughts on timing.....and also whether or not this is an off year or if it's just a classic situation of finicky musky habits.

See you next time,

TJ

tj,
    good to hear from you and it would be great to have you in camp.
    kind of season it's been man. got to stay positive.we've boated alot of good fish and some big ones as you can see on the pics posts and i haven't posted a pic in a month+ with a bunch to do but as i'm sure you're aware of all over musky country it's been an up and down season mainly because of weather patterns being so inconsistant. really eagle has held up better than many and most.we've had a consistant bite if not consistant patterns throughout but anytime we get off the e-se winds into predominate w and any stable weather things light right up into an awesome bite,seeing 10-15+ getting shots at multiple fish and we get all excited then the weather turn horse%#$& again and it goes back to working for them,seeing 4-10 a day,getting a shot or 2 a day and making them count.hey thats musky fishing and regardless here you're never more than cast away from a jumbo.can't change the weather,just adapt to it and go for it.
    taht being said you needd to just pick a time that fits you're schedule and the time mof the season/weather you like and pray for good conditions because regardless of time of the season,moon phases,etc,weather on any given week you're here trumps all. neither of us can predict in advance. main thing is spend the time and learn the lake well and when it's so-so you'll do ok and when shes hot you'll kick ass.the big fish don't leave the lake,like i said any cast...... if you like topwater/tails,and a predominate weed,weed/rock combo bite with long days and a long pm after supper then july aug is hard to beat, sept and oct is more rocks than weeds and add cranks,rubber,livebait,and trolling.eagle has always been famous for big fish during the fall trophy hunt.
    under a NORMAL weather season we see peaks in mid july through labour day and last of sept thru mid oct again which weeks are all about the weather though this season several of our biggest so far where caught end of june.
    no matter when you'll get the latest and up to date skinny daily ,much more than on the reports,you'll be on some of the best trophy water there is, and we go from there.thats musky fishing!!! we'll mdo our best for ya.
    herbie
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Web Site: http://www.andymyerslodge.com

TJ,

I can opine for you as well. Been going to Eagle for 10 years now. I have been there in July, August, September, and October. Been there, done it all, from a timing standpoint. Steve is right, you are never more than a cast away from a JUMBO on Eagle Lake. There's distinct sections of the lake and the same thing isnt happening all over. So, let me tell you how I would approach choosing when to go...

I would choose to go to Eagle based on what/how you want to fish. If I had to boil it down, this is how I would classify each time-frame (this is in a VERY GENERAL sense):

July - if you like to fish weeds and/or topwater, I think you want to go in July. I think there is something cool about seeing those big girls come after your lure out of the weeds. Fish are still on rocks too. So you get the best of both worlds. Now, the risk with July is you can get some of that hot & flat weather that can KILL you. The days are long, and you get a lot of time on the water.

August - many years, this is the time of change. The water temps start to drop later in the month. This can drive some bigger fish really shallow. Usually, the weeds are getting a little slimy/iffy, but there are still good ones. You are likely to find fish on weed/rock combos, or on rocks. Occasionally, I have seen fish out of pure weeds, but to be honest, I have not really seen a JUMBO out of pure weeds this time of year, maybe others have. double 10's, Depth Raiders & Dawgs are primary baits to throw. And now some of the Grammas and Triple Ds start moving a lot of fish.

September - much cooler weather. Some days you may need gloves, other days jeans and a sweatshirt is all you need. This is the time of year you are looking more at pure rocks being the dominant pattern. So you're tossing Spanky double 10s running deeper, ripping grandmas & Depth Raiders. Im sure dawgs work (but not for me! ). Late in the month, you can also run suckers with success. Yes, turnover happens. But with so many sections of the lake to fish, you can always find good water. I would say this time of year, you see fewer fish per day, but many times the ones you see mean business and the big girls are getting fat. Trophy time has begun!

October - this is for the die hards (or masochists ). You'll be bundled up most of the time. Weather can suck, and you can be miserable. But man...are the fish usually fat this time of year. Weeds are basically gone and you're fishing rocks and fish are coming off deeper edges. Dawgs and grammas, and don't forget the DRs.

So, those are just my general observations. I've caught 50s in July & August. And i've seen other catch absolute pigs in September/October. I happened to be there in September one year when Steve Schwengel got his 50lb'er. Everyone was so excited, and that day is still one of the highlights of all my years on Eagle Lake. Steve's dad's eyes were open so big, they were like saucers. LOL Big girls are just a cast away any time. So, ask yourself. Do i want to fish a lot of weeds? Do I want to wear a lot of clothes to be warm? What kind of lures do I like working? Do i want to run suckers? Answer those questions, and that will help you decide when to go.

Now, all this moon stuff. This is sure to start some controversy...I don't buy full moon vs new moon, etc. I don't proclaim to know it all, so don't get me wrong. What I do buy is moon rise and moon set. Overall, weather on that day is the biggest factor. But on some days when weather is less of a factor...I have noticed moonset can be magic. And I've noticed this not just on Eagle. Take it for what its worth. And not matter what you believe, another thing to consider is what others think. If eveyone else thinks full moon is so good, you're liable to run into more fishing pressure during full moon, soooooo...maybe do the opposite. See what I am saying?

If there is one thing Herbie has taught me (and he and lot of others have taught me a lot, I have been truly blessed), I would have to say its to not overthink everything. i used to read every magazine and book and watch every video. I would memorize all this stuff. If the wind is going this way, and is somewhat cloudy...then work some rocks with a white painted blade. It was the dumbest shit ever, and I am almost embarrassed that used to be my approach. But thats what happens when you try too hard and you are led to believe everything you read (which is usually meant to sell you something). Now, I got a handful of baits I know work. I work in a few new variations (color, size, action) of those baits here and there. I am technically sound in my casting and figure 8's....like money every time. I look what's happening around me, and think not only of TODAY...but also what happened YESTERDAY...and what's supposed to happen tomorrow. I know when the sunrise, sunset, moonrise, and moonset are that day. i don't have any secrets...I fish spots other people have showed me...known spots that produce. Baits that produce + good spot + react to whats going (or gone) on around you = best chance at success. It's that simple. And every time, I start to go back to overthinking...Herbie is there to smack me in the head and say, "You're overthinking man. Just get out there and fish." This year i was worried i wasn't running the boat at the proper depth. He told me, "who cares, what matters is where your bait is landing and you fished these spots enough to know where your bait is supposed to land." Hahaha, he's right. Simple. Effective.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

-Dan