www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Camping

Default Camping

I'm headin down to kinkaid this coming weekend to do some camping and fishing. Are there any rules and regulations for camping on the shorelines of the lake? I've seen others out there the last few trips, but i didnt know if there were certain areas only for camping. Also, is the water temps cool enough to start musky fishing?

From IDNR website:
    Camping is permitted by the U.S. Forest Service, Kinkaid-Reed's Creek Conservancy District, and at Johnson Creek Recreation Area at Kinkaid Village Marina who can be reached at: 618-687-4914. Camping is not allowed on DNR property. Hope that helps

Plenty of Shawnee forest to camp on, but it might be hard to find a level tent pad. Some good spots in hidden neck. Water is cool enough for muskie fishing.

Good luck fishing. lot of tourneys going on! FLW Collegiate and high school world finals are on oct 6-8 and there are two this weekend with close to 80 boats!

Thanks for the info guys. This whole season has been terrible for me. It seems like the weekends i do have off there just so happens to be a tournament. As badly as i want to go is it even worth it? If i knew the fishing was somewhat decent i would contemplate. Thanks again

Well, you've probably made a decision by now.

If you went, then leave a report. If you didn't, sleep well knowing you missed what likely turned out to be a zoo. Fished yesterday, first light till just after moonrise. By the time I left bass baits were being flipped, cranked, and tossed everywhere the eye could see (have to say...some strange places occupying an aweful lot of time). The "end-of-the-year" should lighten up in a couple of weeks and you'll only be competing for space with crappie and muskie guys and the occiasional hard-core-bass guy (and while I fish for bass too...the "crowd" is more pleasant and managable). Of course, a muskie tournament or two lies ahead.

Fish are starting to get plenty active. Prime times have been the most predicatable windows of feeding activity for me. Biters have turned to followers as the day progresses. Water temps never made to 70 before I left (just before noon).

On a side note, just a reminder, with bass tournaments at the end of the year when the muskies start to inhabit similar locations, our careful practice of good CPR, becomes all the more important. People note our care and respect for the resource. And, be willing to lend a hand to someone dealing with an incidental hooked muskie.

hawkeye9...how did you do? Where were you catching bass?

Thanks

Sam