www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Three weeks on the lake

Default Three weeks on the lake

Again this year I had the great good luck to fish out of AML from August 20th through September 9th. In an uncertain world, I treasure every moment of it, and, in case you are wondering, it doesn't get old at all: by the end I was skipping breakfast and dinner to fish from dawn to dark. Everybody on the team at the lodge went far out of their way to accommodate everything I could need or want for a great trip. I hesitate to provide a fishing report because things are changing so fast up there at this time of year. We ended up with hot, flat weather and water temperatures in the high 60s or low 70s, and the fish were turning on during short windows determined by forces known only to them. You needed to be on good spots fishing hard when the window opened, and then exciting things could happen. Now it is cold and raining on the lake and things are undoubtedly very different as it begins to head toward turnover. When I first arrived in August, the fish were not moving in the weeds much, even though the weeds still looked very good in most places. Later, the fish were almost as likely to come out of the weeds as off the rocks, but I imagine the weeds are rapidly falling apart now. Most of the best action for catching fish was on blades, and it is a good idea to experiment with blades that make a different vibration than just the standard double 10s. Single blades, willow leaf blades...get creative. Fish were also following crankbaits and plastics, though it was harder to get them to eat them; and Herbie caught a fish on a topwater as third bait through behind a blade and a bulldawg. The fishing was often challenging, but we were seeing big ones up to supertanker size, and I boated 18 fish over 40 inches in 20 days, headed by a 52 and a 49, if that gives you any useful indication. I was terribly sad to leave and can't wait to get back to see friends, staff, muskies and Eagle Lake.
    Bill Hedden

thanks Bill,

quite possibly the coolest post I have ever seen on a fishing board.

Hey Bill was good to see you again! Hope to see you up again next year!

Cory

Cory, it was really nice to share stories and obeservations and ideas with an exceptional fisherman like you and with the rest of the Muskies Inc. group. That sharing is one of the real benefits of fishing at Herbie's place. Congratulations on getting a big one on the 7th cast of your trip. You must have been doing some exceptional visualization on the way up to Eagle Lake! And Hooper, thanks for the nice comment. I look forward to seeing you up there sometime.
    Bill

Bill:

Sounds like your trip was once again eventful in every sense of the word. Stories of success, frustation, anticipation, anxiety and mostly lots of long days and hard work in pursuit of this great trophy fish. I bet three weeks never pass as quickly back at home! Was a real pleasure being able to spend time with you this past August. Dan and the boys enjoyed every moment talking fishing with you and sharing stories and experieces. Just think...the countdown has already begun for 2012 at AML! Take care

Chuck

Now I really wish I'd gone with you! Next year.

Bill rules. He outfishes everyone in camp...and he does it by himself. Very impressive.

-Dan

Dan and Chuck, I will keep in touch about next year's plans, and Tom, I am going to drag you up to the lake again. As to my fishing, absolutely every time I begin to think that I am getting some little part of it figured out, a big muskie slides out from under the boat and makes me look like I've never even done this before. Ask Travis or Scotty or Cal or Mike or Herbie about that. I don't even want to hear what they would say! The only thing I can think of right now is that I would give a lot to be heading up to the lake to see if I could find a beast that has come up from the depths following the spawning ciscoes and whitefish. May you late season fishermen find the one you are looking for.
    Bill

Bill:

Missed you this year when I came up for cast and blast first full week of Oct. I am planning a three week trip for next year and would hope to coincide part of the time with you. Drop me an email with your thoughts. tsborecki@sbcglobal.net

Tom B