www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: PA's Proposed Walleye Management Plan

Default PA's Proposed Walleye Management Plan

I was a little late in finding this proposal and I think the public comment period ran out on the 9th but nonetheless, here it is:

http://fishandboat.com/pafish/walley..._plan_2011.pdf
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I sent in my comment and this is the reply I got back:

Dear XXXXXXXXXX:

Thank you for your comments on the walleye program in the Allegheny River. We are currently assessing the ability of the Allegheny River walleye population to support itself solely through natural reproduction. We should be finished with this five year study in the fall of 2012. If we find that we have good levels of recruitment of walleye from natural reproduction and it is consistently providing new walleye year in and year out we will be able to rely on natural reproduction to maintain the walleye fishery. If we find missing year classes and/or very low numbers of walleye we can resume stocking with the knowledge that it is truly necessary to maintain the fishery. Right now we are trying to gather information to make that decision.

With the rollout of the walleye plan we are also collecting any and all comments and suggestions from walleye anglers concerning potential future management changes such as regulations. These are coming in from across the state and will be important as we consider what we should do in the future.

As for the management of the tailwaters area for both walleye and trout we believe that these two species can be successfully managed together. The specific environmental conditions of the tailwater area of the Allegheny River allow for both species to be present in good numbers and trophy size. I have received lots of feedback in the past from both walleye and trout anglers and from people who enjoy fishing for both species and I believe they both are providing outstanding fishing opportunities. Since the two species have been managed in this water together for many years I do not see a conflict and on the plus side the trout fingerlings may provide a source of forage for many hungry walleye helping them to grow even larger.

The trout fishery must be stocked to maintain the fishery. We are evaluating the walleye fishery to see if stocking is necessary. If we could provide a trout fishery while not stocking we would do that. If it is shown from the study that stocking walleye is necessary to maintain a high quality fishery we will resume stocking but if it is shown that stocking is not needed and we get a high quality fishery solely through natural reproduction then we still have a great fishery in the end. Sometimes stocking is just not needed to get a high quality fishery.

I hope this gives you further insight into our management of walleye in the Allegheny River. Thank you for your comments and suggestions on the walleye plan.

Sincerely,
    Allen Woomer
    Area Fisheries Manager
    Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission
    172 Fish Hatchery Lane
    Tionesta, PA 16353