www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Old Days - - again

Default Old Days - - again

Here's another visit to days gone by. About 50 years ago, I met a fisherman named Wally Wagner. He was the brother of Millie Weseman. She was married to Al Weseman, and Al and Millie owned and ran Al's Place. They rented-out cabins and camping facilities. They lived in what was originally the lodge, and ran the bar. Incidentally, even today the bar remains pretty much the same as it was back then. However, it is now part and parcel of the large rental unit that's now part of the Condominium Association. It is no longer open for business as a bar.

Al's Place was subsequently sold to Merle Wendt who, one year later, sold it to Earl Gitzlaff who renamed it "Fort Flambeau." Subsequently, Earl's kids sold it after Earl died and they morphed it into today's Fort Flambeau Condominium Association. One of Earl's daughters, Sandy, now has her own waterfront home on some property adjacent to the original property that was Al's Place.

Wally Wagner lived in Chicago, and was a frequent visitor to Al's Place. During summer vacations from school, Wally's son, Randy, worked as a chore boy at his Uncle Al's resort There was a small chore boy's cabin in which a couple of kids shared crowded quarters all summer. (Randy is now a lead aircraft mechanic for Continental Airlines.)

There were no piers on the Al's Place shoreline. In those days all of Al's fourteen-foot Alumacraft boats were landed, nose-first, onto the beach. There were two sixteen-foot boats for the lucky fisherman who obtained them. There was always some amount of beach sand that would accumulate in the bottom of the boats during a day's use. This would tend to blow into the face of whomever was sitting in the stern of the boat as they "sped" through the Flowage waters with their 7.0 HP or 9.5 HP Johnson of Evinrude. (Only the daring would mount a 15 HP, and only a "darned fool" would think of using something as powerful as 25 HP!

A daily chore of the chore boys was to remove the engines and gear from all the boats; haul them onto the beach; turn them up on their side; and hose out all of the sand, fish scales, blood and dead night crawlers. Then they would restore everything to be ready for another day's worth of fishing for the renting fishermen.

Al had a small shack on the beach. It was about the size of a decent two-holer outhouse. That's where he stored his unused engines and six-gallon fuel tanks. Incidentally, the gasoline pump was up near the lodge. The chore boys would have to lug those tanks up and down the hill to get them filled. It was a lso their responsibility to ensure that the proper fuel/oil mixture was maintained.

One day that shed caught fire. Al sought to rescue his engines. But all he acquired for his efforts were some burns. The fire threatened a nearby pine tree, It got scorched, but it still remains on the beach today. It's somewhat larger, of course, but none the worse for wear. The original concrete pad for this shack is still on the beach. Some of Al's engines were reduced to molten puddles of metal that were found on this slab. He used to keep one of these flattened metal puddles behind the bar as a souvenir to prove how hot that fire had gotten.

Wally Wagner only had one eye. He lost the other in a childhood accident. A person loses their depth perception if they have sight in only one eye. But, Wally had no trouble driving from Chicago to the Flowage, and back, again. He never bumped into anything along the way. He managed to overcome this lack of depth perception. And, to prove the point even further, Wally could toss a musky lure accurately into any bushel-basket opening alongside a promising patch of musky cabbage, and do it time after time.

I've tried closing one eye to see if I can make accurate casts, or can drive a car. I've never had any success. Try it, yourself, and it'll become obvious that Wally had a unique talent.

One day, Wally went musky fishing with Earl Tomek. Earl guided out of The Old Log Inn where he and his wife, Elsie, tended their bar and cooked food. They were the best hamburgers and fries and the best dinners east of the Mississippi River that you could ever hope for - - bar none!

Anyway, on this particular day Wally and Earl went up to Moose Lake and rented a boat from Al Kaiser. Al and his wife and daughter were the only folks who lived on remote Moose Lake. (Nobody lives there now - - and all remnants of Al Kaiser's domain have been totally removed.) Al's daughter used to keep a "Bambi" deer as a pet. It would enter the house much the same as a cat or dog. She once even had a pet fox, which remained on a leash and remained outside tethered in sliding fashion to the clothes line so it had some freedom of movement.

I remember an occasion when I was eating a paper-bag lunch with Earl Tomek. We pulled up on shore and used Al Kaiser's picnic table. What exotic comfort for a shore lunch! Earl then demonstrated to me the survival instinct of that fox. He took a piece of meat from his sandwich. He mentioned that if it were tossed to a dog, the dog would gobble it down. But, unless he was REALLY hungry at the moment, the fox would save that morsel for a cold winter day when he needed it more.

Sure 'nuff, when Earl tossed that piece of meat to the fox, he ran with it to the other end of the clothes line and buried it.

Now, this was back in the days when a legal-sized musky had to be 30 inches. And, "catch and release" was not yet even thought of. If you caught a legal musky, you brought it in and acquired momentary bragging rights while enjoying a cold Kugel at the bar. If it was a decent size, you took it to the taxidermist on Highway 13 and had it mounted. If you cleaned and ate it, you would remove the head. Then, you'd nail that head to a nearby tree with its gills spread and its mouth open. There used to be quite a few musky heads nailed to trees all around the Flowage as indications of successful hunts back in those days. 'Ya just don't see such things anymore.

It was on this particular day that I've already mentioned that Wally tossed an accurate cast into a pocket in a weed bed on Moose Lake, and a 42" musky latched onto it. It was a beautiful musky. And, since it was his first musky, Wally had it mounted. It now resides upon the wall of a cabin on the Flowage, and still looks great.

Wally, Earl and many other old fishing buddies are no longer with us. But, those memories sure do live on. And, I still have to wonder: whatever happened to all of those old musky heads that used to be nailed to those trees?

When I was just a pup I remember the resort we stayed at outside of Glidden had heads nailed up outside the main lodge. Birds would build nests in the larger heads. C & R started getting popular with the resort owner around the time I started visiting (early 80's) so the heads were already fairly old, and every October when we were there the heads (not being treated with anything) would show more and more deterioration until the mid 90's when the heads were gone. The heads along with the skin mounts in the main lodge were defenitely a lure to muskie hunting and the Northwoods in general (I made them my permanant home almost 15 years ago).

WOW!!!!!
    maybe you should start a blog.
    thanks for the fishing report????!!!

Or write a book.. I'd buy!
    Andrew

awesome! more, more!

Thanks for the stories, Musky Mauler!

Default Great Stuff

Thanks for the stories - keep them coming. Anyone have any about old Joe Miller or his son-in-law who runs the place now?

what a great story MM....sure enjoy reading them. publish a book with those kinda stories and i know 6 guys in our crew that will purchase one.

well done............thanks so much for the entertainment!

Thanx for the compliments. If the story brought pleasure to readers, then that brings pleasure to me. Glad to hear that some folks enjoyed it. And, glad to have experienced so many great days up in the woods. Musky Mauler

What a great story. I came across it looking for some history of the Fort. It's become an annual tradition for us. I think our crowd this Summer is up to 11 or so and we rented another cabin over at Cedar Cove for overflow.

I grew up going to Shamet's (Joe lived a block away from our family in Cicero) and when Joe passed on we'd stay with the Daly brothers at Cedar Lodge. I'm an old fart now but I'm thrilled to see our young ones see the magic of the Flowage. Although it might be our last year since we are driving from Seattle and I think the Mrs. might kill me in the car.

A gaggle of teenage boys, focused on being "hip" and "cool" until about 30 minutes after arrival. Then they become "normal" kids and make sand castles and fish.

What a priceless place.

My dad and stepmother also used to stay at Cedar Lodge. When you said that the kids became "normal" and resorted to building sand castles, it reminded me of another "old days" thing. If you watch documentaries of World War Two, you might be able to see how the Army would cross a river after a bridge had been blown up by the retreating Germans. They would anchor big rubber rafts beside each other all the way across the river. Then, they'd build a bridge onto these floating rafts. I think an example appears in the movie, "A Bridge Too Far."

Al Weseman (of "Al's Place," now Fort Flambeau Condo) bought one of those big war-surplus rubber rafts. He'd anchor it a little way off the beach. The kids would have a ball climbing, diving, and bouncing around on that big rubber raft. Al would put it out there every year, and the kids loved it.

(Incidentally, Al Weseman died a few months ago. His wife, Millie, still lives in the house on the hill alongside the old trout farm at Spring Creek.)

There was a former Chicago Bears football player by the name of Hal Schumacher who was a "regular" up at Al's Place. A great guy. He had enough surgical scars on his knees to prove that he was a running back. (Ouch!) He eventually bought some land on Lake Bastine, and parked a large travel trailer home over there. He's gone now, but his offspring still own the property.

He once brought a hot, orange speedboat up to the Flowage. This was back in the days when 15 horsepower was "risky," and mounting 25 horsepower on the back of the boat was "nuts!" Hal's new boat was powered by a high-horsepower "water jet" rather than a prop. He figured that he would outfox the stumps and leaners that were costing him so many shear pins, props and even an occasional lower unit. He could zoom along and ride up and over a leaner with no problems at all. It had an accelerator pedal just like a car. He bemoaned the fact that, while on a demonstration ride, I wouldn't floor the accelerator and "Damn the torpedoes - full speed ahead!" He wasn't molified by the fact that I had done my "hot rod" thing back when I enlisted in the Air Force during the Korean War and had became a 20-year-old fighter pilot. (That's another story.) I wasn't looking for thrills anymore, but he didn't see it that way.

Buyng that particular boat was a good idea - - at least, it seemed so at first. He could zoom around and even pull water-skiers. That was a rare thing in those days. However, it wasn't long before his teenage son managed to impale the boat on a submerged stump while traveling at a bit more than "cautious speed." He, like his dad, submitted to the urge to "damn the torpedoes!" The engine and waterpump powerplant were none the worse for wear. The teenage son was okay, too. But, the hull was totaled.

Hal didn't bother to replace the boat. He surrendered to the fact that the Flowage (and his teenage sons) were going to have the upper hand for some ongoing period of time.

Like I say, the Schumachers are still "regulars" up at the Flowage. That area still has its magnetic pull, that's for sure. The bar in "the lodge" is still much the same as it always was. If I go into it, I can still hear the voices of old friends sitting around the bar while engaging in a contest of liar's dice to see who buys the next round of "Kugel." The conversation would vary from the one that got away, to the one that got away. And, the kids asking for another dime so they could play the bowling game while Al cooked up another Tombstone pizza. (Do you hear these voices in there when you and yours stay there these days?)

Great memories - - absolutely great!

It's not easy to grasp, but 50 years from now, THESE will be "the good old days."

Default Those Were the Good Old Days

The memories do indeed flood back. We were staying at O'Meara's in the early 60's. A guy showed up with a Wood Cabin Cruiser and he would race around all day long, mostly in the Bastine area. One evening my dad and I were fishing near the Pink Rock and the fool was tooling around in that area. I'm no genius, but from all the stuff we would touch, brush against, or even smack into on the trips to and from, I knew the days were numbered for that boat.

A day or two later, my dad and I are up getting ready to head out at about 4:30 am. I went down to the minnow shack to pick up some mud minnows and Bud O'Meara was there, but the Cabin Cruiser wasn't. So I asked Bud if the guy had headed for home. He says "nope". I asked where the boat was and Bud smiled and said "on the bottom out somewhere near the Pink Rock. He ripped the bottom right off the boat and it sank in about 10 seconds." The guy swam to a log and hung on screaming for help for quite a while. Not many boats went too far from the resorts back then.

I took my wife up there in October 1971 (the year we got married). We were at the Midway one night and it was packed with regulars. My wife and I were the only people renting a cabin and didn't actually live up there. It was awesome. The stories were flying about huge muskies, and huge walleyes, and I was just taking it all in. Then I remembered I had a story and I told it.

It was our first year on the TFF (1960) and my younger brother and myself were out fishing. We came upon 2 gigantic snapping turtles fighting. They had to be at least 2' across the back and they were rolling around and around in the water. Finally one of them got the better of it and held the other turtle under water. So we moved in to rescue the turtle that was being held under water. We started pounding the stronger turtle on the back with our oars. Finally, the one on top released the other one and they both swam off. We had saved the day!

One of the guys at the bar then loudly said (and I'll never forget this) - "hey, city slicker, what time of year was this." I replied "spring". He then laughed really loud and said "them turtles wasn't fighting, they was fuc#&%@!"

Needless to say, the joint went nuts, and because I laughed along with everyone else, I was "in". Guys started coming up to me and asked where we lived, what I did for a living, etc.

I could go on and on!

I had the opportunity one winter on a sabatical to stay at the Hiawatha, true experience. Really a north woods hideaway, wood heat and really good burgers. Just really nostalgic to say the least, gone now but still a good memory. The bartender that ran the place is still around and I get to talk with him at the Midway. Good person.

Default Hiawatha Resort Trivia

O.K. George and the two Don's .......... let's see how smart you guys are ! The Hiawatha Resort wasn't always the Hiawatha, can you recall the prior name ? It became the Hiawatha in 1971 or 1972............... Don H. you beat me, My first trip to the Flowage was 1962, guess that makes me a member of the "fifty year TFF club" you and I can be charter members !!! ........ Oh by the way, remember all those log jams, stumps and driftwood ? We always started out at Popko's Resort, and I thought the Flambeau Flowage was the coolest place on earth !!!

Jeez, the Midway. Ed Beechler and his son Eddie. Dad would go there for the daily "beer & a shot" and I'd get a Sundrop from the pop machine in the game room. After Dad had his brew we'd grab a dozen crawlers from Ed and head back to the water.

Speaking of Cedar Lodge, if I remember correctly the Daley brothers ran it. One year there was a turtle head nailed to a tree.

They had a regular customer named "Stash" if I remember. Retired Chicago cop. Stash had a beautiful Lund boat that was absolutely beaten to Hell. He'd head out in the morning with a 12-pack and some Bourbon. Mid-afternoon one of the Daley boys would say "gotta go get Stash" and head down to where Stash was asleep in his boat bumping up against the dam.

We're staying at the Fort this Summer. Man, what memories. It truly is a magical place.

I found a pic of Shamet's from 1949. I will try to figure out how to post it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog caster View Post
    O.K. George and the two Don's .......... let's see how smart you guys are ! The Hiawatha Resort wasn't always the Hiawatha, can you recall the prior name ? It became the Hiawatha in 1971 or 1972............... Don H. you beat me, My first trip to the Flowage was 1962, guess that makes me a member of the "fifty year TFF club" you and I can be charter members !!! ........ Oh by the way, remember all those log jams, stumps and driftwood ? We always started out at Popko's Resort, and I thought the Flambeau Flowage was the coolest place on earth !!!
    Hi , never new it had another name, always the Hiawatha to me. Now they took the name down for some reason. Oh well things change. At least Donners Bay is still Donners Bay. Nice place .

I just have to answer the question above. I am not sure how many names the Hiawatha has had but at one point it was called Art Schmidt's musky camp. There is even a picture of this in one of Eli Singer's musky chronicles series of books.

Default The Prize to Musk-eye

Hello, "musk-eye" gets the prize !!! he is correct. It was called Art Schmidt's Musky Lodge. My father and I stayed there in the 1960's along with Bob Roders. Way back in the early 1970's (40 plus yrs. ago) a friend of mine Duane Amos and his folks Dick and Florence Amos bought the resort. Prior to buying the resort, they resisded in Sturtevant, Wi. They were propietors of the Hiawatha bar. It was a real cool Polka place with dancing every weekend. Dick and Flo along with Duane sold the tavern and purchased the resort ...... hence the name "Hiawatha" ........Regards, The "old" Frog caster, Larry F.

I second the motion - - "Art Schmidt's Musky Camp" was indeed the place.

I confirmed that with a mind that is younger than mine. My own "memory chip" isn't as sharp as it once was, so I sought confirmation from one of the kids I used to bring along. But I DO remember when a bottle of Kugel cost a bit less than it does today. Even back to when a Coke or a Hershey bar only cost a nickel. TFF was known as "the Flowage," and the words, "the war" always meant World War Two. Things DO change, don't they? MM

Great story Musky Mauler. You do a great job of painting a picture in our minds of how things used to be, and I certainly enjoy hearing stories like this.

I am lucky enough to have some historical photos from throughout the years on the TFF and signed up for the board just to add a few.

And somebody else mentioned the old stone bar, Hiawatha. Cool place...
    Here are a couple shots taken maybe 5-10years ago before the place was taken down.
    The chimney says 1941, so about 15 years after the construction of the Dam.

Here is a familiar scene for those who have pulled up front in their boat.

And did somebody say LOG JAM!?!?

Hope this helped make some of those memories a bit more vivid. ENJOY!!!
    Last edited by pma1123; 03-08-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Great pictures of the Hiawatha.A relative of mine owns it now.Wanted to refurbish the old bar building but it would have cost a fortune.Had to tear it down which was still costly due to asbestos removal.We wanted to save some of the stonework but it would been costly to do.Wish I could have seen it" back in the days" ! More pictures would be great to see.As for the original Hiawatha sign was taken down for refurb and never got it back!Anyone know how many cabins used to be there?I love it up on the Flowage and hope to get up there more this summer-damn gas prices are a killer.I'm a disabled vet who lives in Hartford Wi. so its quite a drive to get up there.If you see my red Chevy Lumina there this summer stop in for a beer!

Good fishing and good living,

Bob Schwartz (Bupa)

Thanks for the great pictures! And check out that Corvair!
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Default Als Place Stories

Time line Circa 1977:

We always camped on one of the islands and pushed out from Al's and left our cars there. I am the one who posted the pics of Als wooden boats from 1953 as that is when my dad and uncles started going to the flowage (FYI we still call the flowage Al's place to this day).

Anyway back to the story from 1977 - that year my dad had taken a few extra days so we decided to go all week instead of just the traditional Memorial day island camping trip and we rented a camp spot from Al. The resort was pretty much at its largest then and the only camping left were three spots in front of the bog. The old timers will remember the bog it was a left hand turn when heading to Donners from the Dam and it was where he allowed campers with electrical power.

My brother was standing in the back of the boat (the boat is pulled up to shore with the anchor and bow of boat on shore) and he was casting a flatfish to the bog when a Musky nails it. The fish takes a huge jump and some guy runs out of one of the Als Cabins and is screaming "Musky, Musky, Musky". My brother is also really nerveous as he has the biggest fish he has ever caught (true to this day and he is pushing 60) on the end of his line and this guest screaming Musky and waiving his hands. My Cousin Rodger runs to the boat and is beggging the guy to hand him the anchor as the guy is now standing numb with the anchor in his hands. Rodger desribes the scene as like the guy was in shock and was frozen from action. Rodger takes the anchor from him and pushes the boat off of shore and tells Reid (brother) to just fight the fish and let him deal with the boat and net. The fish made three airborne leaps like a smallie and several good runs.

My brother ended up mounting the fish and it was a story re-told at the Al's Lodge bar for many years.

When we took the fish to the Lodge to get our pictures taken, etc. the news of the fish had already spread over the entire property. Some guy in the Lodge was making a big deal out of the fact that my brother did "not deserve" the fish because they had been up there a week and had poor luck. I got really upset and talked about how "my" family had been coming to Al's every year since 1953 and how my dad and uncles started the site by pump island and really stood up for my brother. Reid to this day laughs about how mad I got at that guy even though I was just a kid.

JR - if you happen to read this maybe you can post a picture of the fish, I don't have one.

Anyway - this is a true story from the shore of Al's place.