www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: munchman

Thumbs up munchman

Am going up to Squaw lake on the 9th (tomorrow) and will be up there for the week.
    I have never fished this lake before and would really appreciate any help the experts could throw my way.
    We will be fishing for walleye, musky and norhern----and the occasional crappie.

I just hate going to a lake blind ---------- HELP!!!!
    Thanks in advance,
    Tom

Really shallow lake w/ dark coffee colored water. Due to poor clarity and lack of much depth it's best fished while casting towards the shallow cover - weeds, rocks & boulders.

Until you get a good feel for the lake I'd suggest taking it slow out there because there are quite a few areas that will come up shallow on you. And there's a lot of submerged boulders along the entire west shore and off of points that can easily take out a boat.

I fish it best during the evenings and crappy weather days.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    I fish it best during the evenings and crappy weather days.
    Spot-on, especially on the boulders... Not that you have to be scared, but definitely spend your first boat ride checking out the shallow spots from your home base to other fishing areas and back again!!! There are plenty of areas that can be run and others you need to pay great respect to!!!

I have only fished it once with a pair of friends and at the same time AR does, but as dark as it is, I would think it would be a good lake to be exploring/fishing anytime during the daylight hours as well... I just can't get there during the daytime very often...

Mark

munchman:

I hope you are able to see this, and sorry if it so late that you read at home following your week up at Squaw... It seems like the lake has stayed horribly warm as of the past week or so, resulting in a pretty bad blue-green algae bloom as well as pretty warm water temps. Not sure if you can fish any other lakes, but if you can, it might be worth trying to do.

Mark

Thumbs down Munchman

Well, let me tell you that the fishing was (in a word) CRAP, CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!! OK, 4 words.
    Water temp was very high and yes, we did see that blue algae bloom - quite a lot of it. Been fishing many years and have never seen anything like it.......very "blue" and extremely thick.
    I caught a total of 12 fish in 8 days and my friend (who strictly fished for musky) caught a big fat ZERO (not even a follow), and believe me he/we threw everything in our box.
    Nothing was biting-----bluegill, walleye, northern bass, crappie, you name it....must have been the bloom and the temps (several days @ 83 and several nights @ 26).
    Needless to say I will not be fishing that lake again------we'll stick to Big and Little Saint.
    We did have fun though----thank God for Blink Bonnies, the Riverside and Golden Pines!!!!

I do appreciate the feedback--------next time I take the advice to fish another lake.

Sorry to hear it was that bad. I'll likely be out that way this weekend.
    Andrew