www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Freshwater Drum/Sheepshead?

Default Freshwater Drum/Sheepshead?

Hey everyone I was just wondering if my initial reaction to what this fish was was indeed correct. I caught a crayfish in the river and put it on my hook with a bobber about 4 feet above the bait and tossed it into a pool about 5' deep only 15' off the bank of the river. Let it sit for a while and actually saw the bobber go under from our horseshoe pits and ran down to fight the fish. I only have 4 lb test on the reel, so it was a really good fight. Its the biggest fish I've ever caught on the allegheny! I revived it after a photo or two and he just swam back off. For future reference are these guys any good to eat? Thanks for your responses in advance. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	340236_10100267930536993_14226452_49283948_2081441_o.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	14672

Yes that indeed is a sheephead. I know people that have eaten them, although i never have myself. Its supposedly a very white flakey meat, that being said i'm sure there are better eating fish in the river then the sheephead.

It is quite common that your fish is called sheepshead in western PA but that is a misnomer. What you have is a freshwater drum. A sheepshead is a saltwater fish with buckteeth and markings not too different from a perch.
    You may have heard the fish croaking. That noise is caused by a chamber in their body that resembles a drum which is where the name comes from.

Fun fish to catch. I've caught several while smallmouth fishing in a variety of locations around PA. Most were on jigs.