www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Muskie Report 9-6-11

Default Muskie Report 9-6-11

Muskie fishing over last few weeks has been unbelievable! Water surface temps have been hovering around 70-75 degrees and winds have been predominantly out of the south. The shallow weed bite has been the ticket as we have been catching most of our fish in depths of 4 to 10 feet on the Three Lakes and Eagle River Chain. Heavy spinnerbaits dragged right through the weeds and worked deep along the edge has been a very productive technique and it also enables you to cover water at a good pace. Magnum shallow bull dawgs popped and jerked hard over weed flats and edges has also been producing well – the key has been to really pull these lures hard to get those reaction strikes. Now that the water temps have cooled off I have started to see more muskies interested in the “walk-the-dog” style topwaters too and this is just a plain awesome way to catch one! Be sure to have a “toss-back” bait rigged and ready on a separate rod for fish that follow but dart off close to the boat and don’t stop fig-8ing until your senses tell you that the fish is not around the boat. Many times these muskies will still be hanging around for several minutes after darting off. I will many times fig-8 for as long as 5 minutes (which can seem like and eternity!) and catch these fish when they just can’t take watching that lure zip around in circles. This is yet another area where I think having a long 9ft rod really helps because it allows you to cover such a large area, both vertically and horizontally, at boatside. It is no surprise that my top spots right now are loaded with baitfish clouds and these spots have many times been producing up to three fish out of a small area throughout the day at different times. Catch one and within an hour another moves into the spot and takes the dominant feeding position. Be sure to be on your best spots at moonrise or moonset.

Good luck and fish hard!

Chas Martin
    http://www.muskymastery.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chas46Musky1Aug.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	14666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chas46muskyRelease1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	14667  
    Chas Martin
    Musky Mastery Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.muskymasteryguideservice.com

Sweet Fish, Chas! I did the same thing all weekend and only caught big northern. Had fun but kind of got angry when I saw spots instead of stripes! Unfortunately, I won't be back up until the sucker bite is in full swing for "Burn Stuff Weekend". I had fun fishing with you this summer---still thinking about the big one we lost. I'll be up the last week of October to chase them again!