www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Some recent reports

Default Some recent reports

Well, despite the lack of reports here lately, the fishing has been fairly good. Personally, I've been too busy to post, or the trips were nothing special. I guess a "ho-hum" report is better than no report at all, though. Let's get this ball rolling again - here's what I've been up to over the last week, and some of the reports we've been getting at the shop.

Made one night trip with a buddy last Thursday, south of Ford River. We limited out on walleyes in about 2 hours, pulling Reef Runners in 15 to 20 FOW. Most of the daytime reports we've heard are still coming from the East Bank/ Black Bottom area, drifting or trolling with harnesses and floating jigs.

There are still decent numbers of salmon being taken at Fairport, but they are mostly smaller fish, now. I headed over there with my Brother-in-law on Sunday. We went 4 for 6, fishing the north end of the gap. Three were shakers, and one was about 5 pounds. We lost one fish behind the boat that was about 10 pounds. Took two hits on the riggers, two on the dipseys, and two off the leadcore. One of the dipsey fish hit a flasher/fly combo, the rest were all on assorted spoons.

Pulling the boat out of the access at Fairport we noticed I had a flat tire on the trailer, so we had to leave the boat there over night. My dad and I headed back the next day to pick it up. Since we were already all the way over there, we decided to fish Garden Bay for bass and pike. We saw a lot of smallmouth along the shallow inside weed edge. Many in the 18 to 20 inch range. We tried every trick in the book, but all they would do was look and follow! We consider ourselves fairly good at catching smallmouth, so this was really frustrating. We finally gave up on the bass and started casting and trolling the weedbeds for pike. No action with them, either. We didn't feel so bad about the bass not biting after that because in our experience, if the pike aren't biting, nothing is. Finally at the end of the trip, I hooked into a big bass while casting a spinnerbait in the reed bed next to the access. Got her to the boat, she jumped, and threw the bait. It was at least a 20 incher.

Perch fishing is still going good. The Gladstone beach area has been the most consistent, but the Escanaba ore docks have been good, too. I've spent the last couple evenings fishing the Escanaba harbor, looking for perch and bluegills. I've been experimenting with those Cubby jigs with no bait, and doing quite well. It's a great spot to bring the kids right now. Basic bobber fishing with worms along the weed edges should keep them busy. Good pike fishing in there, too. My dad has been doing well casting spinner baits and fishing chubs under a slip-bobber. He took 6 suckers out mid day Tuesday, and caught 4 pike and lost 2 more. Biggest one was 36 inches.

Guess that's all I've got for now. Have a safe holiday weekend.

Here are a couple pics from last nights harbor trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harbor panfish 001a.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	14632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harbor panfish 002a.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	14633  
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

Thanks Chris. I have not had a chance to be out there much this summer. I was thinking of hitting it this weekend maybe. Thanks again for the info.
    Always better than a good day at work!!

Fished the Escanaba harbor for a couple hours on Sunday. Trolled musky baits looking for big pike, but all I caught were little ones. Landed 5 and lost 3 more, best one was only about 29 inches. First one was on Bionic Bucktail, the rest hit a 7 inch Grandma bait. Did see one caught in another boat that was around 40 inches!
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

Default what color reef runners?

Chris- couple quick questions if you could please...

1. Were you using the 800 series?

2. Which colors were best?

3. What speed (on gps)

thanks a ton,

Matt

Mostly 800s, some deep little rippers, occasionally husky jerks. Any color, long as it has purple on it. If I could only have 3 they would be day old muffin, naked muffin and purple naked. After that I like lights out and several variations of the above. Anywhere between 1.2-1.8 works, I like to start at 1.6.
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"

These were very productive last night. They should be, for what they cost they should fillet the fish as well LOL

Gary
    "SeeSwell"

Hey Doofighter,
    Let's hear some details. I am always excited to hear how many, how big and with what. You are getting me revved up to get out.

Hi doofighter looks like new colors where did you get those

Bayshore. They have 6 or 8 custom colors just in. Bring your checkbook. Seem to work, though.
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"