www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky Report 08/30

Default Musky Report 08/30

I got a morning of musky fishing in before my 1-9pm work shift and the hot bite continues! I nailed this nice forty-three and a half incher on a Baby Loon Topraider and I had opportunities at two other nice fish, including a fifty inch class musky! The big fish took a bad attack angle and missed my Topraider and I hooked and lost a fish that was at least forty inches, after she threw the hooks after five or six head shakes.

I'll be out on Saturday morning, and I'll post another report after I get off the water. Good luck fishing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01662-best-web.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	14625  
    Tom Dietz Outdoors
    Web Site: http://www.tomdietz.com

Tom:

I remembered finding you back a while ago posting here and for some reason you got misplaced again. I had thought that I had posted something to you, but after rereading both years of posting, I find that I didn't. We talked at R&H's Musky Shop one night when you were looking for Stoltman maybe three years ago. So that little tidbit will make me easy to remember, eh??? LOL!!!

At any rate, I have had one of my best 'eye seasons over here and am just starting to get my groove on musky fishing again here over the last few weeks, nothing moveing for me yet, but fishing a lot of new water west of Minocqua. Spent some real quality time with an old musky head Dave Stetko on Tomahawk fishing from 6:30 til a little after midnight last night. Didn't move any fish, but a wonderful night to explore one of my favorite lakes and tonight begins the new moon phase with a little weather moving in. Might make a tomorrow a.m. a little bit better, but can only fish tonight.

Quick question about the topwaters and cooling water, do you find that pattern to be an morning pattern or will it hold all day during these cooling days??? Also along the same line, does it seem that this pattern works better with the fish relating to weeds or are you looking at both weeds and/or rock to dial the pattern in???

Good Fishin'!!!

Mark

Hi Mark! The cooling water really triggers muskies whether it's in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio or Kentucky. Obviously this surface bait pattern runs a bit later down south, but once the steam starts coming off the lake after several days of cold fall like weather before turnover, topwater fishing is simply dynamite! Weeds, rocks, and standing timber all will produce fish during this period. That is not as critical as is the rapidly dropping water temperatures prior to turnover. I have my best luck early and late on sunny days, or all day long if it's overcast.

I saw five muskies today up to 48", and had another shot on a Pacemaker, but the fish swung and missed. I hope this answers your question and good luck this Fall!
    Tom Dietz Outdoors
    Web Site: http://www.tomdietz.com

Good stuff on the fish again!!! Was on Tom again last night (water temps @ 72* and currently not dropping, but should start again) and figured out I can't read JB's calendar, last week was the start of the new Moon (LOL @ ME)... I knew something was wrong when something was supposed to be happening at 5:30 and the sliver moon when it finally peaked its head out from behind some clouds was on its way to setting @ 9:00. Still best to be on the water and the wrong time got me on the water earlier and kept me from watching the Badger or the Packers (got 'em both taped though). Four hours last night on Tom again, maybe the Flambeau Chain tonight...

Mark