www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: TigerMan's Annual Report

Default TigerMan's Annual Report

Fished for Muskies 2-3 hours each morning on the family vacation and had some success.

Caught two muskies (38 and a 35), five minutes apart Tuesday, August 9th at sunrise. Throwing bucktails (Buchertails - black / chart.) at a grass island on the East side that is usually surrounded and choked with weeds. Weeds are pretty much non-existent in places you'd normally see them. Spots that are typically un-fishable with heavy slop are wide open and have six feet of water. The water is as high as I've ever seen it in August.

Fished a bit at Pete's - actually decent weeds there and due to the high water you can drift over good water for 1,000 yards a pass. Saw a guy land a decent (low forties) fish when I pulled up one morning. Zippo all week for our boat. Not even a follow.

Friday the 12th, tried the grass island again - attempting to put my 12 year old daughter (and best First Mate) on her first muskie and accidentally hooked into her musky! - a real chunky 36" that ate my bucktail on what was possibly the worse executed figure 8 ever attempted. This one on a Buchertail, black/orange.

Although not what she was after, she did land a real nice northern - mid thirties and fat - that was a musky right up to the point it found its way into the net.

Other than muskies, we nailed tons of football-sized smallies, several northerns, a walleye and enough bluegills to make your hands raw. Went through 10 doz. crawlers easy.

Three decent muskies in the week despite devoting only marginal hours casting felt pretty good.

Good weather, and a great time.

Tip of the week: Avoid Ray Jays. Trust me.

TM

PS.
    I have digitally edited the photos using advanced imaging software in order to change the background in the pictures in the event someone tried to zero in on the exact location.
    // joke //
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2499.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	14412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2494.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	14413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2561.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	14414  
    Last edited by TigerMan; 08-13-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: embellishment

So what type structure do you catch the football-sized smallies on?

Quote Originally Posted by B rod View Post
    So what type structure do you catch the football-sized smallies on?
    The ideal spot is a sandy point with a deep drop off on one side with weeds on the other.

There are probably hundreds of spots like this on the chip. A bunch of small islands have this exact set up too - like Chipmunk Island on the north end.

We always have good success with crawlers, light (4lb) test line and #6 hooks with a small split shot 24" above the hook.

Cast out, let it sink and slowly drag it back in.

Good luck,

Mb

Congrats on the fish. Sounds like you had some fun.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com