Hi all,

I took my boss Derek Siddons out on Wednesday evening, and it was his first musky trip ever. I worked with him on how to throw big baits and do proper figure-8's, etc. the first fifteen minutes on the lake. Well, we were just discussing hook sets, when I hear Derek say something in the middle of my cast. I look back, and here is an upper forties to fifty incher with his bucktail in it's mouth on the surface and Derek's rod was loaded up a bit! Well, because he was so new to this sport, he didn't think to snap the hooks home hard (kind of like buck fever) and the fish shook the bait free and swam off before I could yell set the hooks. He was disappointed obviously, but as I explained to him afterwards, it's all part of the learning curve.

Over the years, I have seen big muskies turn grown men to mush, and this case was no different. Neither of us expected a hook up that quick in the day, and had this even happened an hour later with Derek more comfortable with everything, we'd have been snapping pictures! That was our only chance that night unfortunately.

Muskies are really picking up on many area lakes. I will be headed out Saturday evening on the night of the Full Moon. I'll post a report afterwards. Good luck!