www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Need some opinions

Default Need some opinions

I never owned a boat before. I was looking at a 16ft sea ark with a 60/40 jet for fishing the middle allegheny. Is this jet motor big enough? I would like to stay in the 20K range. I definately want a jet motor. Any suggestions on what I should get. Thanks

I bought an Alumacraft 1860 AW CC with a 90/65 Mercury Jet and I'm now considering moving up to a 110/80 Jet. Once you fully "move in" to your boat, you'll usually add alot of weight. Thats why I would suggest a bigger motor if the boat is rated for it. Its easier to buy the package with the bigger motor than buy a bigger motor down the road. Used Jets are hard to find and new ones are expensive.

thanks for your thoughts. I figured the 40 wasn't big enough. I looked up the alumacraft and they seem to be a little nicer than a roughneck or sea ark. Where did you purchase your boat? Do they have jet packages?

I agree with Pescatore all the way. The only other thing I would include is to stay away from the heavier 4-stroke engines and stick with 2-stroke if maximizing shallow water performance is a priority for you. The major downside of sticking with the 2-stroke is an decrease in gas mileage and an increase in noise unless you go with an E-tec (Evinrude). The E-tec is probably your best answer in finding a happy medium regarding power-to-weight-ratio and gas mileage. The E-tec has virtually no maintenance for the first 3 years or so, BTW.

If you could ever find a nice deal on an inboard jet rig, I would jump on it. JMO
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I got mine from Boone at Tionesta Marine. He is a small dealer on Rt.36 above the reservior. He also manages the marina at Tionesta Lake. He associated with Robbins Marine.

thanks for the opinions. I want to make sure i get the right boat and motor the first time. i don't want to have any regrets. I was looking at an inboard at weigle marine ,i think its made by river pro?, but it was around 30K. It's a nice boat but a little too much for me. I'll keep looking until I find the right one.

Keep checking in with Weigel's. I'm sure they get a good deal of trade-ins spring and fall. They're very good people to deal with. You can find a handful of used riverpros out there if you liked it, but they're not much less. If you go to RiverPro's website to look at the classified, check out the article about "why an inboard jet". Very informative. Unfortunately, inboards are also very uncommon.

You should be able to find a helluva nice outboard rig for 20K. You can look online too if you don't mind driving. I bought one on Craiglist from Virginia 2 years ago for well under 10K. It was a 17' alumacraft with a 110/80 jet. Max out the HP rating of the boat if you can.

i was looking at a g3 1860. it is rated for 90 hp. It comes with a 90/65. Can I put a 110/80 hp jet on this or is the 90/65 the maximum?

In the jet world, the low number (true horsepower) is what counts. The 110/80 will be perfect on that rig.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by tyrusnash View Post
    i was looking at a g3 1860. it is rated for 90 hp. It comes with a 90/65. Can I put a 110/80 hp jet on this or is the 90/65 the maximum?
    I have a G3 1860 DLX with a Yamaha 115/80 jet 4-stroke and love it !

Does the g3 come with the 115/80 as an option or did you get it put on yourself. How much is the difference in price between the 90/65 and the 115/80 ? Thanks

I'll second Red's thoughts on a 2-stoke verses 4-stroke.
    The E-tec are awesome, as he said, first 3 years nothing! I just had my 3 year check up and they go all over it, change water pump, all the fuel filters, plugs, etc etc etc......when we were done I asked when it had to come back....they said another 3 years! Just said to change the lower unit fluid and that was it. Very good on gas, mine is not a jet and you'll loose some there but.....it still will be good on gas.
    You won't even have a lower unit so you won't have anything to do to it!

Like our 18' Tracker with the 120 hp 2 stroke inboard jet. They don't make them anymore. If you looking for a used one there is one sitting on the street that you turn down to go to Weigel brothers near the end of Joy manufacturing. Might be a 90 hp inboard by the quick glance I saw yesterday. It was a Tracker though, with an inboard jet.

thanks. I'll try to take a look at it tomorrow. I'll be up there floating down the river in my inflatable pontoon boat ( Maybe for the last time !)

Tyrusnash,

Check out Craigslist for the PGH area. There is a 1998 18' Tracker with a 120hp inboard jet for sale in Mercer.

Mike

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/2527168046.html

That's the boat we have but ours is a couple of years newer. Tyrusnash, that Tracker in Franklin is setting in a parking lot parallel with the street . You can't miss it.

Tyrusnash I bought the boat new , however there was an option on the jet 115/80 or 90/65 I went bigger glad I did "only thing better than power is more power " I don't like the fumes, smoke and noise of a 2 stroke and when you figure in oil, extra tank,etc. there is not much weight difference. As far as price I honestly don't recall what the difference was. Alot of the tournement bass anglers are switching to 4 strokes. hope this helps

All of your comments have definately helped. I went to Weigles today. They were very nice and helpful, although they dont have any new or used boats that would fit what i'm looking for. Their going to price a 2012 polar craft 1865 with a 90/65 evirude jet for me. I included an upgraded trolling motor(70), bimini top, vinyl floors, f/f, 2 extra seat bases, custom cover, Galvanized trailer, fuel tank. We'll see what it costs????

sorry thats a polar craft 1886 cc.

65 hp and a 70 TM, I'll guess $15 K

I would think more towards $20k

It's going to be 20k or more because they told me the base price is close to 20.

I would also check out east in the Harrisburg area for new jets.

Dido on what Toothy and Red had to say about the Etec. Been running mine 4 years and same experience as Toothy with the maintenance. It also has a very easy winterizing sequence to run if you need to.

I bought a 12V 55lb Terrova TM with my package from weigels. I have since upgraded. 70lb is probably sufficient but I had problems with the terrova foot pedal so I'd suggest staying away from that.

Got the 24v 80# Terrova with I pilot ( both foot control and hand fob control). No problems and wouldn't go with less thrust with river current. But that's me.

Ditto on the I-pilot. My boat's a tank and the 80# pulls it nicely and will fish all day even with wind and current.

Default polar craft 1886 cc

Price is almost 24,000 even. Includes tax and fees