www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Kayak Fishing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tandem kayaks are not good in my opinion. For tandem paddling, I would always choose a canoe. If your going to use the boat more on flat water you might think about something longer like a Ultimate 14, but if using the boat on any rivers or creeks then shorter would be advantageous imo. Again, if you are going to fish a river for musky from a kayak; then I think you would be hard pressed to find a better kayak option than the Coosa.

Double kayaks are nicknamed divorce makers. To stay drier there are rubber rings on the shaft by the paddle. Move them in 1-1.5' so they don't dip in the water. As you raise the paddle these rings should stop the water and it will drip before it reaches you.
    If I'm right a rudder on the kayak is for staying straight when on big water with winds and not turning.

I am not planning on buying a tandem kayak, it was just a "nature paddle" at the park and I wanted to take her out. It was a rental and was all that was left, same with the paddles. On another Forum a very experienced kayak fisherman recommended the Commander from Wilderness Systems. Basically a canoe/kayak hybrid. He said it would be better for lakes. Can also sit on top of the helm for the higher positon. I will have to compare. Thank you for your replies, very much appreciated.

Mike