www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Kayak Fishing

Default Kayak Fishing

A buddy and I are looking to get kayaks specifically to fish. I have done some research and really like the Jackson Coosa, the Wildy Ride and Commander. I would like any and all suggestions as I am new to this kayak thing. I will mainly be fishing the lakes along the 79 corridor and the Ohio, Beaver and Shenango Rivers. I do like to have my gear with me: a bunch of plano boxes and I would like to carry several rods. I am looking more for stability than speed. I have a full size truck to carry it. Also the weight is not really a factor, I can carry it If size is important I am 5'8" 260. Sorry this is long, but just want to give as much detail as possible. I can't wait to catch a musky in a yak.

Thank you for any suggestions,

Mike

My favorite subject. Large cockpit, 55+" front to back. Comfortable seat a must.

Avoid fishing package kayaks as the rod holders are probably not where you want them and they will come with either scotty rod holders which are great with spinning tackle rods with relatively short handles but a good sized fish and a musky rod handle will pin the rod in the holder. I use Folbe rod holders which are released by lifting the rod straight up. The rod holders set behind the seat are tough to use. Almost any turn will cause two trolled lines to tangle as they are set within the width of the kayak. I've also seen rods knocked out of these holders and to the bottom of the lake.
    Since August 2006 I've been using a 12' Wilderness Systems Pungo. I'm 6', 190 lbs. My friend who uses the same model is 6'2" and 290 lbs. 325lb capacity on the kayak. I carry 2 plano large boxes (1 behind the seat and the other just below the front edge of the cockpit) and one box from a first aid kit with more lures under one leg. Also carrying an ice fishing depthfinder with reg transducer.
    Never forget musky release tools even if you aren't fishing for them when in musky waters. I land the fish with a lip gripper but recommend against a Boca because the thing spins and can cause problems with gripper and hand being line wrapped even after fish is unhooked (There is youtube footage of Jaime Pistelli from kayak angler mag being hooked while releasing a musky). Hook cutters, jaw spreaders, long needle nose, and lip grippers never leave my kayak unless I'm fishing out of a friends boat.
    I also carry a telescopic lure retriever which has saved me hundreds.
    Ask questions and I'll answer to the best of my ability and I'll think of more in the mean time.

If money isn't an issue check out the Mokai. An old thread for it may still be here or go to the website.

Thanks for the info MuskyJ. Thanks for the advice on the Scotty holders, I thought Scooty was the only company that made them. Do you prefer a SINK as opposed to a SOT? I immediately liked the Coosa because of the seat height. The Wildy Commander I like because it seems like tackle would be secure inside the boat, and one can sit on the kayak for a higher seat. It seems to have the dimensions you recommended. There is actually a Pungo on Craigslist, I should take a look at it. As far as the tools, I always carry them when I am fishing musky water even if I am fishing for bass. I did see that video, ouch. I never thought about being able to troll. I guess if trolling in the prop wash works, a litlle kayak paddle surely won't scare any fish. If you think of anything else please let me know I am all ears or I guess all eyes online.

Thanks again,

Mike

Sit insides are a must to me if you want to winter fish.
    Kayaks are trolling machines. Casting is easy enough but rod positioning on the retrieve can take some getting used to. I've caught bass and crappies with a lure over the edge while moving so fish will eat in an arms reach of kayak sometimes.Two rod holders in front of the seat in arm's reach and just out of paddle reach is my preference.
    For walleye and trout I have a steelhead sized rubber wading net for landing and holding on to fish with plugs in their mouths. The lure doesn't tangle in the net and seems less likely to end up in me.
    A small plastic bottle to pee in can save you some wet shorts if you are further from a pull over spot then you thought or you don't want to leave a good bite. I've gone dawn to dusk without getting out of my kayak.

I have a SOT that I used to use a lot. I never used it in cold water, so I never considered a SINK. I have a 15' OK Prowler Trident and really like it for lakes and larger rivers. No good at all in streams and creeks. It's hard enough to turn even with a rudder, but in a creek, it's a real PIA. My favorite way to fish was trolling. I liked the longer yaks for that reason. More speed and less zig zag. If you want to cover a lot of water, a longer yak will work too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73700008.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	14382  

Thanks MuskyJ, I never considered winter fishing. I will be fishing in cold water. A SINK is good to consider. Lowbidder thanks for the info on the longer kayak. I am more of a casting guy than a troller, so I think an 11-12 footer might be a better choice. I really appreciate the info guys. By the way, where do you fish? I don't run into any kayaks where I fish.

Mike

Get the Coosa! It's the cat's caboose in fishing yaks right now!!!! I am trying to get into one now. My buddy has one and he has owned 3 other yaks and he feels it is THE best thing going for a fishing kayak. Also, for stability and stand up casting to muskies, that is the yak I would have no doubt about it!!!

Thank you, I appreciate the info.

Mike

My daughter and I went to Raccoon State Park and rented a tandem Old Town tonight for about an hour and a half on the water. This was my first time in a kayak. With experience am I going to stop getting drenched in a kayak? This would really suck if it was below 70 degrees.

Mike

Tandem kayaks are not good in my opinion. For tandem paddling, I would always choose a canoe. If your going to use the boat more on flat water you might think about something longer like a Ultimate 14, but if using the boat on any rivers or creeks then shorter would be advantageous imo. Again, if you are going to fish a river for musky from a kayak; then I think you would be hard pressed to find a better kayak option than the Coosa.

Double kayaks are nicknamed divorce makers. To stay drier there are rubber rings on the shaft by the paddle. Move them in 1-1.5' so they don't dip in the water. As you raise the paddle these rings should stop the water and it will drip before it reaches you.
    If I'm right a rudder on the kayak is for staying straight when on big water with winds and not turning.

I am not planning on buying a tandem kayak, it was just a "nature paddle" at the park and I wanted to take her out. It was a rental and was all that was left, same with the paddles. On another Forum a very experienced kayak fisherman recommended the Commander from Wilderness Systems. Basically a canoe/kayak hybrid. He said it would be better for lakes. Can also sit on top of the helm for the higher positon. I will have to compare. Thank you for your replies, very much appreciated.

Mike