www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Post Your August 2011 Trip Reports Here

Default Post Your August 2011 Trip Reports Here

It's August? Huh? Where the heck did July go? Well, where ever it went, it's gone and the summer wind-up is in swing.

Excellent fishing opportunities this month as the water will be less crowded for the majority of the month with summer vacations coming to an end and kids activities starting to crank up.

How was your trip to LOTW this month?

Let us know!!
    Justin Gaudry
    Mylie's Place Resort

Lake of the Woods
    Morson, Ontario, Canada
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/myliesplace
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MyliesPlaceResort/feed
    Twitter: @MyliesPlaceJMan https://twitter.com/#!/MyliesPlaceJMan
    E-mail: jwgaudry@hotmail.com
    Toll Free Phone: 1-866-395-3449

July 29 - Aug 1...

I figured since this trip tilted into August I could open the August fishing posts. Well, the new moon phase was very active. We started out trip out with a bang on Friday the 29th catching a PB 52" beast. Over the 4 days of fishing we saw around 50 fish, but only coaxed 7 to eat and a couple of those were peanuts. Lots of followers. All of our fish were caught on smaller baits. We had several fish follow 3 or four times on many different lures, so we know they were interested, but just wouldn't eat. I've seen similar reports from around the lake that attribute this to the late spring.

Most of the larger fish we saw (and caught) were from rock reefs. We saw more numbers, but smaller fish coming from the weeds. I know some big girls live in the weeds, but we didn't see them on this trip. We're just happy we got to hold a 52 incher and see her swim away effortlessly!!

Had a really nice weekend up in Morson. Saturday and Sunday had beautiful weather. Walleye fishing was really good numbers wise. I think we boated around 70 walleyes Sat - Sunday without trying too hard. Biggest for the weekend was a 22 incher, otherwise just good numbers of 12-18" fish. Trolled spinners with bouncers and crawlers, anywhere from 10 - 20 feet, with the best catching from 12-15 feet. Best structure for us was more island points and reefs/humps off of islands. We only found small fish at the reefs up by Dawson Channel or west of Manitou. We did best around Sunset Channel and south of Obabikon Bay area.

My 10 yr old and I put a solid effort into muskie fishing this weekend. We fished on the east side of Burrows Bay without much luck. A couple of northerns was about it. This was my first time muskie fishing "for real" and we plan to try them again over Labor Day weekend, along with smallies.

A little late with my report. Got back from two weeks at our trailer. Endof August. Had good walleye fishing. Worked shorelines and points, 14-20 FOW. Bottom Bouncers and spinners. Minnows or crawlers. Lots of fish in the 15-18" range. Afew larger ones and lots of small fish. Didn't do much on the few reefs we tried. Brought home 3 limits of crappies. Really good size. They weren't concentrated yet and had to work for them. Back in 7 days for Fall fishing and duck hunting.

Aug.30-sep.2.
    Justin and bob were up for a few
    Days and fishing was really good wed
    And ok on Thursday and fri. Mylies has
    The best bait around. We went thru 8 doz
    Minnows on we'd alone. We boater a 27"
    That weighed 8 lbs . We also had a 23.5"
    22" and tons in the 10 to 20 inch range.
    All are fish were caught on points I'n 20 to
    25 ft of water with deeper water near by. 3/8
    Ounce jigs was the ticket. Spinners and crawlers
    Was ok but jigs and minnow was the best. If I can
    Figure out how to post pics I will later.