www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Looking for some opinions!!!!

Cool Looking for some opinions!!!!

I'm looking at picking up a Lowrance Elite-5 Fishfinder/GPS Chartplotter. I was wondering if it's worth the $550.00? If anybody is familiar with these units I would greatly appreciate any advice that you are willing to give, whether it be good or bad. Thanks in advance!!

10# Hunter

I've been on the lookout for a deal on a new combo myself. It seems to be a good unit for the price from what I've heard and read. Although I saw a "like new" go on Ebay last week for $440, and an HDS5 is going for around $600, only $50 more and a much better unit. It's "New In Box". That said.. seems there is always a unit thats "only $50 more".
    Doofighter's LMS 525 is a nice unit too. "see thread a few days ago." and at least he's local. But, you'll need to find a puck and Transducer.
    I havent made up my mind which way to go yet. I will be watching this thread.
    OK... 10 More Minutes

Smile Elite/HDS ?????

I looked into the Elite before I purchased my HDS. The decision was easy for me. It all depends what you want to do with it. The HDS has way more power and power means it will pick up more. I know people with the Elite model that are perfectly happy, it is a great unit. But if you want to see perch in 50 fow you will need power to bounce sonar with definition. Also a deciding factor for me (also for my friend and dad who bought HDS for same reason) was that we already have chip's in sd format. The elite only takes micro sd cards. Your regular sd cards will not fit in the unit. But, if you have micro cards you can use the adaptor and use them in the HDS. I guess for a hundy more (even less if you can get rebate through Lowrance) You have to ask youself what will I be using this unit for. The HDS also can add side scan (cost as much as unit though) The elite is not able to upgrade to sidescan. Again it is all in what you use it for. With either unit I am certain you will love what you can see...

Cool

Thanks guys! Now you've got me wondering which one to get. I appreciate that you will take the time out of your busy days to help me out with your opinions. That is what makes this site awesome, keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!

10# Hunter

I too am considering said units. One thing to keep in mind if thinking about a used unit is there is no warranty. With these things and the frequency at which I've seen people posting about issues a warranty is invaluable. Not to say all or even any used unit would need service but it seems the coin saved isn't worth the chance. I know there are folks that feel different about it and I'm not saying people can't be trusted, but money doesn't grow on any of my trees.

Quote Originally Posted by steve l View Post
    I too am considering said units. One thing to keep in mind if thinking about a used unit is there is no warranty. With these things and the frequency at which I've seen people posting about issues a warranty is invaluable. Not to say all or even any used unit would need service but it seems the coin saved isn't worth the chance. I know there are folks that feel different about it and I'm not saying people can't be trusted, but money doesn't grow on any of my trees.
    I've been thinking on the same line.. and it might be worth a few extra dollars to buy from a known retailer.???
    OK... 10 More Minutes

http://lr.factoryoutletstore.com/cat...FQLrKgod6WDo1w

Reconditioned units from Lowrance with warranty..... saw this after I got mine but oh well......