www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Lakemaster chips?

Question Lakemaster chips?

Does anybody have any input on Lakemaster chips. I just found one that is compatible with my Lowrance unit that I want to buy... it has the 3' intervals. I currently use a Nav card that has 5' intervals, but here is a partial list of faults with it... At the Black Bottom break, it tells me I'm in 10-15 FOW when I'm actually in 30 FOW....same on the West Bank in certain spots. Last year, when I started exploring the Ford area, I almost lost my lower unit twice because it tells me that I should be outside that first 5' breakline when I was, in fact, MUCH shallower than 5'. In any event, I know that common sense must prevail in all circumstances and these are meant as a guide, not an exact replication; and common sense has prevailed thus far. But, I have to wonder....what else am I missing???? The card I'm looking at is a '09 version...does anyone have any feedback with Lakemaster; good or bad? Thanx for any help.
    BTW, I realize this is a fishing report site...Here's my report: Some walleye biting for me lately, mostly 5-20 FOW off breaklines this week...harnesses by day, cranks by night. However, the ones I have been catching have been all considerably smaller than last year at this time in the same spots (14"-19")...last year was all 18"-22"ers, with some 24's in there. So if ur fishin' the upcoming tourney...Don't follow me!!!! U won't win!!!!

Default Lakemaster / Navionics

Well this is just opinion and I don't want to start a debate over this issue. I use both chip's and each has it's qualities and downfalls. Depending on the situation and environment contour's can change. The later versions are updated and a little more accurate. Either is not perfect and as you stated are only a guide. I was talking to a Lowrance rep. and he stated chip's now are updated annually but soon units will be able to get real time depth contour like the Navy from satelite. I am certain they will cost an arm and a leg like any new tech. but it is coming.. Until then utilize what you have and learn from your experiences.. ... tight lines.....

For the money I don't think you can beat the lakemaster. I've used one in my Lowrance for several years. There are areas, especially in lbdn where it is out to lunch, just beware. I just spent nearly 3 bills on a navionics platinum plus for my new Raymarine. Not impressed so far. The LM has better detail at 1/3 the price.
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"

I run both Lakemaster and Navionics Premium (2009 N and 2010 LM) at the same time on 2 HB units.
    They both have strong points and definitely have errors on contours. I REALLY like the depth highlight option which has revealed many features that I would have missed just following contour lines. Which is best ? Depending on your prefered areas on LBDN.

Default Lakemaster

Thanx for input guys... I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Lakemaster. I got a new one shipped for under $100. I figured if they both have strong/weak points, it was worth the investment. I have run across fish, or stumbled on a pattern due to some seemingly stupid, trivial irregularity in contour... I guess it certainly can't hurt to have more homework to do; at least it sure is fun tryin'!!!