www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Muskie behavior starting to pick up?

Default Muskie behavior starting to pick up?

Murph,
    Are these warm temps putting the skies over the deep weeds and rocks yet? Heading up next week. Hopefully the skies are getting somewhat predictable. Any skies on rocks and reefs around Pelican?

The fish are starting to move with the warmer water. Mostly weed fish so far but the rocks should be good soon. I am hitting them tomorrow, will report any activity. Surface temps are near 80. We have to take care when handling fish. Long picture sessions should be avoided and cutting hooks important. Hooks are cheap.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

Glad to report the skies are in the shallow rock reefs today. First day out. Will try the 10-15 ft weeds tomorrow with any luck.

Saturday I worked hard on the big lake. Began at 5:00AM. Took a couple hours off, then braved the waves later on. Didn't see a muskie, other than the ~40" a guy 100 yds from me caught/photo/released. Things have got to "pop" soon. I'm hoping the full moon this weekend does the trick. Any exciting reports out there?

Default My 2 week report on muskies

Got up there on the 29th. With the warm stable weather we figured the skies would be turned on during the lower light morning/evening bite. We were right. On the 31st I had a huge fish on a rumbler out of a sparse cabbage bed on the east side of the lake. 19 year old swung at the fish with the net, hung the bait on the edge with only the fish's head in the net- muskie slid out and the bait stayed in the net. Michael felt awful but I didn't feel bad as it was a great fight and just the start of the 2 week trip. After that we had regular hits on topwaters and follows on bucktails in the weeds with no hookups. Later in the week we had one 45 minute period on the North Bar where fish followed every direction- but that was beginning of the end. Starting August 6th, the storms and the north winds and rain kicked in, and by the 13th the temps had dropped 10 degrees to 71. From the 7th on we saw only one upper 30's fish on the North Bar- and we were fishing Pipe, Pelican, Battle Point. The 11th, 12th, 13th we hardly saw a fish, couldn't catch a decent perch to save ourselves- they hadn't gone into the bulrushes yet, weren't in the weeds any other depth. I think we caught only a couple small northerns at that time. Never seen anything like it. Need some stable weather again Going back up Labor Day wkend.
    djwilliams
    Ames, Iowa