www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Sat. July 16 day trip

Default Sat. July 16 day trip

Ifishskis Jr. and I are meeting a friend for a day of ski fishing on the Chip this coming Saturday. As we do not own a boat right now, any time we can go is a good one, and we are VERY appreciative of the offers to go out.

The weather conditions for Saturday look to make for a tough bite...at least in my experiences. Partly sunny, upper 80's and dewpoints in the upper 60's to low 70's with a light south wind. I have only fished the Chip a handful of times, and 2X we have had these conditions and saw and caught ZERO.

We'll keep the channels to our backs and thoroughly fish the water columns with various baits to see if the fish are active on anything in particular.

Can anybody offer up any tips they have found to work on hot, humid, flat days on the Chip? We're going to be out at sunrise but I honestly don't know if I'll physically be able to fish until sunset.

Thanks and good fishing!

Jerkbaits and gliders can be pretty good on those days but for the most part it is going to be a tough bite. Stick with what you know works and at some point in the day you will get your hit.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Sennett View Post
    Jerkbaits and gliders can be pretty good on those days but for the most part it is going to be a tough bite. Stick with what you know works and at some point in the day you will get your hit.
    Ty, thanks for the reply. My guess is that you were on the water and know the conditions that we faced. We started fishing at 5:30 AM in what I thought would be grade A conditions......overcast/haze/light chop. Had a bass or something roll a Pacemaker but that was all we saw. Then around 10:15 AM a good fish rolled and hit hit my sons Mag Dawg...he hit the fish hard 2X and had it on for a few seconds (nice bend in the rod) but it got off. Not too long after that the skies cleared and it got HOT. We called it a day at 2 PM. We didn't have an option to come back at 7PM like we normally would have.

We mixed it up as far as baits were concerned but stayed with the ones that are typically the most successful on the Chip. Went shallow and deep (for the Chip) and everywhere in between. Weeds, rocks, mixed....they just weren't moving for us and that's musky fishing!

No complaints other than the weather 4casters prediction of a mostly cloudy day that didn't pan out. It was comfortable out there until the sun beat on us for a couple hours. It was weird in that about 15 minutes south of the Chip it was overcast again and by the time we got home (Rice Lake area) it was 10 degrees cooler (80) than was when we left the Chip (90).

The Chip remains my favorite body of water!