www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing Report July 11

Summers: Lake Mille Lacs, Mn, Winters: Lockport, IL

Default Fishing Report July 11

Fished with repeat client Fritz Piel from Buffalo, Mn. last week. We found fishing to be tough, as the bass were still in their post spawn funk. We saw lots of fish looking at our baits but very hard to catch. Have to hand it to Fritz, he gutted it out, stayed focused and by the end of the day he caught 15 to 20 smb. Fritz had 4 fish over 4 pounds and lots in the 2 to 3 pound range. Most all fish were caught on plastics. We tried topwater early in the day only to have one fish blow up on the bait but didnt take it.

Look for the bite to pick up on a daily basis. The water temps are warming and the fishes metobolism is kicking into high gear, which means they eat alot and often and will become agressive.

Here are last weeks lake conditions:

Surface Temp: 74 degees and rising.
    Clarity: Lake is still very clear....some parts of the lake visibility to 6 feet.
    Algea Bloom: Occuring in some parts of the lake...light green color.
    Lake Bug Hatch: Lake bugs continue to hatch, mayflies and small white knat size bugs. (Can be annoying)

Observation/Question. The lake in general is the clearest that I've ever seen for this time of year. Wonder if we are starting to see the effects of the zebra mussles? Would appreciate your observations on this matter.
    Jim DaRosa
    Jim DaRosa's Smallmouth Bass Guide Service

Web Site: http://www.FishSmallmouthBass.com

Co Host Fishing and Outdoor Radio Show
    Web Site: http://www.FishingandOutdoorRadio.com

"If man concentrated on the important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing poles and duck decoys."

Hi Jim,

I was out on Thursday on got about 20 smallies and a bonus walleye during the am wind. All smaller fish in the 12-16" range. All plastics. I couldn't get them to go on topwaters even though I spotted some fish crashing the surface. Saw some bigger fish int he schools but they seemed more intent on swimming than eating. Typical post-spawn action for me. Craws all over a couple reefs and the smallies were coughing them up. Combine that with the perch and bugs and there is no shortage of food on the ML buffet line.

Agreed on the greater viz this year. Even with the algae bloom, I can still see bottom in 6-7'. My sense of time may be warped after several years of high winds and green water, but this might be the clearest I've seen the lake in July since the early 2000's . . . which may explain why I also seem to be observing more loons than past years. Clear water and plenty of 4" perch. I had 3 adults around my kayak for about 15 minutes and saw another pair at the next reef.

Kurt

Summers: Lake Mille Lacs, Mn, Winters: Lockport, IL

Kurt,
    I agree with your assessment of last weeks fishing.. our reports say the same things. Saw lots of fish few interested in eating. We too saw fish caughing up crawdads and a few slurping lake bugs.

The reason for the clear water still has me puzzled. I do know that in lake Erie, lake michigan, and lake hurron, the zebra mussles have definetely made those lakes clearer...wonder if it's the same reason on ML. I might have to call the DNR after they get back to work.
    Jim DaRosa
    Jim DaRosa's Smallmouth Bass Guide Service

Web Site: http://www.FishSmallmouthBass.com

Co Host Fishing and Outdoor Radio Show
    Web Site: http://www.FishingandOutdoorRadio.com

"If man concentrated on the important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing poles and duck decoys."