www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Escanaba -washing gear

Default Escanaba -washing gear

Tried finding some salmon last night fishing from stoningon pte north to the red can-ish. Not one knockoff. Lots of warm water stacked in from the south winds, had to go nearly to the bottom in 85-90fow to get 54 degree water, 62-63 surface and not much stratification. Marked some suspended bait off portage pte, with hooks nearby but no takers.

Anyone seeing alewives in walleye bellies yet? Or in the shallows? That'll be a good sign.
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"

yes and yes,

what are you running to determine temp at depth?

Subtroll and a fishhawk.

Thanks. Are they big ones? As in 4"+ or smaller ones?
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"

Not to interrupt on the conversation... but out of curiosity, why is seeing alewives a good sign? Do salmon follow them into the Bay? Sorry for dumb question...I don't salmon fish...just curious.

Absolutely. The salmon follow the alewives into green bay waters. The alewives are here to spawn.
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"

I've been seein Alwives for about two weeks out there.. gulls were pickin em up all over the water, down between the Shoals and the FR can this AM. Nothing biting by the way, Gary. Didn't mark as much as last weekend either. We worked from just South of Mnpls Shoals north along the east then cut over to the west side before pullin the pin. 0-0 Surface temps were 59 by the shoals - 63 as I got away.. no probe.
    OK... 10 More Minutes

right around the 4 inch mark. Subtroll and fishawk x-4? Why both?

Is that why the gulls were going crazy around Butler's Island yesterday? I thought maybe it was fish flies they were gorging on. There were hundreds and hundreds of gulls squawking and feeding on something over there.