www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Late July advice....

Default Late July advice....

Headed to Little Bay DE Noc last week in July, never fished it before, can anyone help with some tips on what tackle to bring? Not sure if trolling gear is needed or mostly fishing the weed edges? I have a 19' lund fisherman so I can take some of the bigger water if necessary. We are only staying three days, we will fish whatever is biting, certainly would like walleye and perch if given a choice. Trolled a plenty but never used planer boards, are they necessary? what pound line is typical? thanks for any help.

Last year, I did well out here in late July trolling planer boards along breaklines (crawler rigs during the day, and cranks at night). Just my opinions...I find trolling to be the most effective way to find and catch walleye out here...and I also can't imagine doing it without planer boards. It all depends on the wind too. Sometimes trolling is all I can do because it's too windy to slow down and jig (especially on the breaklines in the Lower Bay). With a good 15-20mph southerly, the walleye will be active, but you'll be fishing 3-4 footers and trolling is much easier. I'm not too familiar with the Upper Bay. If you don't want to troll, maybe try up there? I'm kinda a beginner myself out here (in my 2nd year fishing LBDN). You'll get more help if you just keep reading this site and go through the back-logged threads. Good luck!