www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Water temps and weed growth.

Default Water temps and weed growth.

Water temps yesterday were 68 degrees on the Big Lake. I look for the temps to warm with predicted warmer and sunny weather.

Weed growth is advancing daily with the warmer weather. Saw some weeds topping out on the surface in 10 feet of water. Sucker Bay has excellent weed growth. Portage Bay is also coming along.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

Cool Grand View weeds

Murph: During the last few years the weeds (cabbage) at Gand View have been almost non-existant. Have there been any improvement? Portage also was looking pretty thin the last few years as well. Does it appear we are going to have a more normal year for weeds? Thanks!

Default Murph

we'll be there' on the lake in about a week, watch your report, everyday for some insight, thanks for the update.....

The weeds in Grand Vu are coming back some. This weed bed comes and goes periodically. Same in Portage Bay, Two Points area. Many state that the Rusty Crayfish is the culprit and has destroyed the beds. They certainly have damaged some weeds beds, not only on Leech but several northern lakes including Lake of the Woods. With that said, trolling through these weed beds has resulted in more damage and destruction. There are several areas of the lake that have very thick lush cabbage beds that are not effected by trollers who cause damage to the weeds. You be the judge.
    Jim Murphy

Default Thanks again

Murph: Thanks again for your comments and taking the time to help.

Water surface temp was 75 in Walker Bay yesterday. Warm water should jump start the muskies, time to hit the water.
    Jim Murphy

The weeds are definitely coming along Murph.
    I shared this story with Murph and he thought it would be nice if i passed it along to you . Saturday i spent the somewhat post frontal morning beating the weeds to a froth with nothing to show for my efforts.I tried a shallow line and a 9-11 mid depth line without even a sniff.Noon came around and i decided to go in for lunch and come up with a game plan to attack it once again as an early afternoon major was about to happen in a few hours. I asked my youngest daughter Karly (6)if she wanted to join me and she yelled out a resounding "I want to hold a big musky dad!" With that kind of enthusiasm on tap I was hoping...(praying) something would happen so we walked down to the boat and headed out . Since success in the shallows was dismal at best (for me at least)i decided to try a deep line on a tip from a buddy that the only fish he was seeing on another lake were showing up this way.I figured it was the only thing i hadnt tryed so i started hucking away keeping the boat in 14-16ft tossing in.
    Not ten casts went by when the rod doubled up and the fish immediately surfaced headshaking. It was very evident it was a long fish and as My daughter saw the fish come up she started yelling hysterically "its huge dad! dont lose it!" As if there wasnt already enough angst and pressure involved , that comment ...made failure not an option but we know how these battles can go ... I yelled at Karly to try to drag the big Frabill closer to the bow and she did just that.To my best recollection There was a pretty stiff WNW wind that day and every time i would get the fish close the boat would blow away from her and she would run. After four short runs i got smart enough to try to net her on the other side and she dropped in. Quick pic and back in she went for someone else to enjoy.It was high fives with my daughter and a very cool moment I'm sure neither one of us will ever forget. A dull day turned into 52.5 inches of muskie in the net....right on the major. If you arent using the moon and Solunar tables to your advantage you are simply missing opportunities at fish. Turns out that was one of only two fish i saw all weekend. But what a weekend it was!

Dan
    Want to make some memories?Take a kid fishing!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52.5.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	13978

Dan: Nice to know things are picking up. Thanks for the info.

Great story MuskyDan.

I was also on Leech for the 4th of July weekend with my wife and kids staying at the Chase. Was able to sneak out Saturday morning and was able to get a nice muskie just short of 47"es in the morning about 6:15 AM using a Magnum Bulldawg in about 16-18 ft of water. I went to the spot thinking I would burn a bucktail over the shallower cabbage bed but noticed alot of bait hanging off the edge so I switched it up to the Magdawg and 5 minutes later BAM. Only fish I saw but well worth it. Had a great rest of the weekend boating and hanging out with the family in town and enjoying the festivities at the park on the 4th.

It's 7-21. What are surface temps now? Murph have you checked temps in Walker Bay? Is there a depth at which there's a big temp break there?
    Do you think these cooler nights coming up in the next week will be enough to get surface temps down into the 75-78 range?
    djwilliams
    Ames, Iowa

Water temps were near 80 on the big lake today. Walker Bay should be the same or a few degrees cooler. Thermocline should be around 38 feet, maybe a little deeper with the warmer water. The cooler nights will bring the temps down some.
    Jim Murphy