www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Need suggestions for bucktail rod/reel combo

Default Need suggestions for bucktail rod/reel combo

My August trip is coming up. I'm going to get a new combo for bucktails. What do you guys like? In a related question, how much are you using double blades versus single? Could anyone recommend a reel that can throw either or do you recommend separate reels for doubles and singles? I've done a lot of reading but the Flowage is where I go so I thought it best to get advice from the guys who fish there.

In my oppinion if you can swing the initial sting of the purchase a Calcutta te 400 is the only way to go but they will sure hit the wallet but no less a great reel that is worth every penny . If you want to go a little easier on the wallet i would go with a saltist i bought my first one last year and that is a great running reell and you can really burn them 10's back to the boat its also a great reel to throw big plastic on also . As for a rod the best bang for the buck on the market is the 9 footers that mike hulbert is selling they are a one piece blank and a great feeling rod and you can throw anything from bucktails to pounders on them and they wont put you in the poor house .

Talking

It is very hard to throw all types of tails with one rod. Most guys have 2 rigs as a minimum.

Reel wise, the Calcutta 300 or 400 TE is very good if you can afford it. Putting a power handle on is even better especially for the 10's. You will not burn them back, but the reel will handle regular retrieves no problem with less pull.

For throwing 10's there are a number of good options in rods. Mike Hulbert's was mentioned below, tackle industries, and a st croix sling blade are all rods to check out. On the high end is Thorne Bros Predator.

For regular tails up to the double 8's and topwaters, the st croix top and tail is hard to beat in my book.

It all comes down to how much you can spend...

To keep costs down you might look at the various musky/fishing boards to find used equipment. What most people call "used" has been pretty much "new" to me. The people selling the stuff will tell you if it'll work for what you want. You might be able to get two used setups for the price of one new.

I have one rig for D10's/Pounders and another for smaller bucktails and other lures.

Yes, I agree, all my reels and with the exception of 1 old pre china diamondback rod, I bought all used...

I was not aware of Hulbert's rods. They sound very versatile and high quality especially for the price. It seems most people think the Calcutta TE is worth it, especially in the long run. I have never had one but had an old Shimano Catala (discontinued) that I liked. Since I just started getting back to musky fishing in the last 2 years, I started with a lower priced Abu Garcia 5600 C4 and I like it fine. That will become my topwater reel for this trip and I am looking for the upgrade for bucktails. Any other preferences? I am always interested in hearing and learning. Thanks much Brad, Esox and Ifishskis!

John,
    It depends on how you want to fish and the bucktails you are going to use. Here is my suggestion. If you are going to fish Topwaters and dbl blades 8's or smaller with a moderate speed I would look at a Abu Revo with a Elk River 7'10" top n tail. Very light weight comfortable rod n reel combo. on the other side of it if you want to fish them faster and dbl 10's i would go with the Elk River 8'6" or 8'10" in the xh with a Salitst 20 level wind. Granted the rods are rated as xh but they have a super fast tip and do not fish like a xh rod. you can pretty much fish anything with them. Stop in Phillips and talk with Marc and Chris and they can set you up with a nice set-up.
    The Calcuta TE is very nice but with a nice price tag also. The tackle Industry rods offer a very nice selection at a good price. James over there provides some great customer service also. Have a good trip and fun picking out your new combo.

The Thorne Brothers MH Legend Tournament rod is about as good as it gets. I actually like it better than the more expensive Predator blank. You can throw most all bucktails including Cowgirls. For reels, the Calcutta TE or Calcutta B works great as long as you get the power handle for it. The Revo's are also great reels.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Another addition to the reel selection would be the Shimano Curado 300. If speed is want you are looking for and want something that can handle the jar of a musky strike but is still easy to palm then you have to check out the 300. Larry Dahlberg was using them on massive tarpon last week on Versus HD. Best part is you can leave the 60lb power pro on them and put them on a flippn stick for big bass. Just a thought.....

Should have noted that I have my Curado paired up with a 7ft MH Fast Shimano Compre rod and it is sweet. I can throw the 700 series Bucher a mile on a dime and feel like I am doing nothing burning it back. You can get the rod for about $75 normally $100+ from www.americanlegacyfishing.com ....awesome site for rods especially if you want G Loomis.

I have become a real fan of the abu Revo I have the winch for the big tails the mid speed for the smaller tails and spiners and the high speed for my jerk baits and top waters

So basically there are a lot of good rod and reel combos out there from everyone's responses. Try some at Thorne Brothers or Rollies and see which ones you like for the buck.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

The feedback has been very helpful! Thanks to all! I will decide soon and let you know how the trip goes. It's great that there are genuinely helpful people here.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMG View Post
    It's great that there are genuinely helpful people here.
    One of the things that is consistent on Ty's fishinginfo page is the information given and numbers of people who are willing to share and all of that is fostered by Ty!!! Having watched the WI pages for some time now some good ones have come and gone, but Ty is still giving it his all when he has the time to do so!!! Congrats to all who contribute!!!

Mark