www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky Report June 23

Default Musky Report June 23

Spent the whole day on the water today. Fished with Steve and Dan Murphy, two great guys who wanted to try the "old skool" thing. I rowed and they cast. Went pretty well until that north wind kicked in to high gear this afternoon. We had one musky blow up on a surface bait in shallow water this afternoon. Other than that it was all pike and a couple nice bruiser smallmouth. Sure hoping the warmup we're expecting gets these fish going. I can almost pick out locations that I know the fish are hanging out in but for some reason (could be the extended crumby weather) they just don't want to come out and play. Will be back on the job Saturday so we'll see if things improve a bit by then.

Pete Stoltman Regular Fishin' Regular Guys
    www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142

Pete:

Thanks for the call a couple of days ago, always great to know you guys are watching out for me!!!

No musky fishing for me as of yet, but I have been cranking shallow rocks and lighting up the 'eyes when out!!! Two Thursdays ago after the cold front ended up by myself as my partner said I wouldn't get anything after that cold front came through. Well after chasing some smallies til the magic hour I set up on a nice rock point pounded 6 on the first pass, 6 on the second pass and 3 on the last pass. I may have stayed later but left my headlamp in the truck, so packed it up around 10:15. Fish up to 21", water temps in the mid 60's*.

My bro bought a place on Shish two winters ago and I told him that I wasn't sure I could duplicate last night, but I would try. Silly me lost my first fish by not retieing my back to back uniknots, and that fish just slammed my Shadrap 9 in silver with the black back and it was game over just like that. Thinking it could have been a musky, but I'll never know...

Got retied, hooked on the chart over silver SR9 and picked up a 21" fish and my partner was sitting on a windblown weededge catching them on a slip bobber pattern in 11' of water. I went to pick up bro and his son and we were off to the magic spot at the magic hour. First pass 9 'eyes and 5 smallies!!! Biggest fish of the season for me at 26". Managed another 6 on the second pass and then were starting to get hassled by other boats so we ducked out to check out another spot.

Just got back from FL and the chance at some tarpon, 5 fish on five fish off... Over the two days we had more early a.m. action, just couldn't get hooks into the fish. On Friday after chasing ol silver, we did some inshore stuff and hooked up with seatrout, sharks, jack crevalle, spanish mackeral. There were enough seatrout for a limit and they were very tasty on the grill!!!

Got a friend in town right now that wants in on some smallie action, so going to blindly try to put him on some fish tonight, maybe tomorrow night before having to get back into the bartending action.

Got out last night just in case the good action was still going, but I think the succession of cold fronts has slowed them... Now I spent more time in a spot not getting any wind last night, so I may flip that and work the windy location earlier and try the other spot a little later... More, but gotta run...

Mark

Great report Mark! Sorry I missed you this year, but then again, there's always next year...

Jeremy:

Got to FL for a little tarpon wrestling, they won... And dat work thing seems to get in the way quite a bit right now and I am not complaining cause they are still willing to hire me!!!

Hope you had safe travels and hope you were able to get a fish or two in the Northwoods this trip!!!

Mark