www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Planer board questions

Default Planer board questions

I'm a newbie when it comes to planer boards. My daughter got me a gift certificate to Amazon for Father's Day (sorry, Chris!), so I thought I might use it to buy a couple of planer boards and try that out walleye fishing.

Some questions:

--Which make and which size would you recommend? I notice they come in various sizes and various companies make them.

--Do I need just the planer boards themselves (aside from the obvious rod and reel), or is there other hardware I need?

I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible (if that helps your answers). Talking maybe 2 rods going at a time at the most.

Thanks in advance for any tips and input.

Cant help you Yoopertroll, but Im gonna start. I bought a nice 2 reel mast with the planer boards for $20.00 at a yard sale 2 weeks ago! Lookes like a exspensive unit at one time, but the guy said he wanted out. I also got 2-10 ft eagle claw downrigger rods with the reels for $10 each. Next stop I bought a JC Higgins alum tackle box with about 15 old lures for $20. I was having a field day. The last stop of the day I got a brinkman smoker/grill still in the box for $10.00

Default Planers...

If you're fishing walleye, don't buy Big Bird planer boards... they're way too heavy and you can tow a 15" walleye behind it and not even notice. Personally, I have 3 sets of Church Boards (the Walleye Board) and I'm as happy as can be with them. I don't have a single complaint about them and will not even try any other boards because I don't feel the need to. I use them to pull harnesses or cranks. I know some guys prefer Offshore Boards, but I've never ran them...from what I hear they are good boards too. No additional hardware needed with church boards. You can buy tattle flags, but I don't use them, and again, I don't see the need to. Not saying any other brands aren't good, but Church Boards get my vote. Just my .02
    Last edited by nitecrawler128; 06-20-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added text

If you'll only fish walleye, id get the offshore with tattle flags. The flags help detect light biters, imo. I tried the church tattles on the church walleye boards and the board tended to be too nose heavy and dive prone, even with weight adjusted all the way back. However, I prefer church walleye boards for salmon because of the attatchment to the line (easier to remove quickly) . If you want the best multispecies board, imo it is the church walleye board.
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"

Default Planer boards

I have not tried the church boards before. But I do use the off-shore boards. They are little more expensive ($30-$35) but very well built and easy to hook up.
    When I was looking into getting planer boards I had went online and looked for the best feedback on planer boards. Off-shore by far had the best feedback, so that is why I spent the extra. They last a very long time and you don't want to just settle if you don't like the board.

Default planer boards

I use the offshore brand and am happy with them. I did some checking around and found that you can find all the components needed to create your own tattle flag kit. Just go to your local hardware store. You will be amazed at the difference in the price. You will use the original flag. Good luck.

Thanks for the info, guys!