www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Update June 19

Cool Update June 19

Happy Fathers day to all you dads out there!
    We just finished several days of great sunny weather and are into a couple of days of cloud cover now. Winds are low though so it should make for great fishing conditions.
    Musky opened yesterday and they were active! Our friend CJ caught 2 with his fly rod, one guy spotted the biggest musky he's ever seen and there were many follows and hits.
    The bass are on their nests right now finally. I have heard mixed reviews, one day they have hit great and the next not so much. What I know for sure is you should cast right to shore for them.
    Pfessor, some time you will have to come up this week or even the next to hopefully get into the better bass fishing.
    Crayfish hunting was pretty good to for our young guys last week. But I think we should save our crayfish boils for later summer when they aren't spawning, right CC and RF?
    Walleye have still been slow during the daytime but the evening bite has been great. Some evenings it doesn't matter where you are, they seem to hit but others you have to work to find them but when you do it has been great. They are well into their summer spots down deep during the day and coming into the shallower waters in the evening.
    Enjoy the rest of your day dads!

Lydia
    North Country Lodge
    Web Site: http://www.musky-fishing.com

Lydia,

How are you? Well the crew is looking forward to the trip in late August again this year and hope that the musky fishing picks up a bit this year. I"m sure the water is up a bit, is that the case??

Thanks Matt Zelenc

Hey Matt. Things are going great here. I just spent the afternoon out on the lake and aside from the sunburn it was a great day. We didn't do so great on the bass today but another group from camp did pretty good. They are still right up on shore right now.
    If anything the water is probably lower than it should be for this time of year. We really haven't had a lot of rain, most of the systems have been moving more to the south of us.
    I am happy to tell you the musky have been stupid. There were lots of musky boated in the last week and tons of monsters spotted. I heard a rumour about a 52"er boated but I haven't heard who caught it.
    The morning and evening walleye bite has started to get really good. They are anywhere from 10-40' deep which is a bit unusual, they are more in later summer patterns. There was a couple of 28" walleyes caught last week which must have been a blast to bring in!
    Say hi to the crew for us!
    Lydia
    North Country Lodge

Good to hear...those smallmouth are great fighters and better eaters...Great to hear that the musky are being stupid, now we just need them to stay that way for about another 60 days or so and get real stupid when we arrive..Those are some big eyes and they are a bit deep already...Mayflies hatch already??

Well my brother just got to Bemiji, MN for a 4 day musky trip, wish I could of joined him on that one. I will definitely say hi to the crew and we are looking forward to another great trip.

Keep me posted on those monsters that keep getting spotted and a clue on where wouldn't be a bad thing. ha ha.

The may fly hatch crested about 4 days ago and are on the serious decline now. I haven't heard a whole lot about the musky so far this week but the walleye have been good. They slowed a little bit a couple of days ago (full of May flies probably). The bass have been very active. One lady in camp caught a beauty 18"er yesterday which I know she will share with us for the website. Last week Wayne and I got out for a few hours in the afternoon and I caught a little ling (burbot, lawyer, whatever you want to call them - the fish of many names). We catch them more often in the winter but it is rare to catch them in the summer. I was bouncing a jig in between some big boulders about 30' down and it hit hard for a little guy.
    North Country Lodge

Did you catch the ling cod in Canyon Lake?

Yes it was on Canyon, right across the bay from our lodge.
    The may fly hatch is finally done and I think the walleyes had their fill.
    The bass are still turned on and still up on shore. One guy today caught a nice 46" musky while casting in for bass today. I'm sure we will have a picture up soon of that monster!
    North Country Lodge

Well, I can't wait to get on the water. 29 days to go..Its going to be a glorious trip (I feel it in my bones). Any updates on the musky, their behavior or any big ones landed in camp recently? I"m sure the water is in the high 60's low 70's currently..

6 days and I'll be on the water at my favorite lake hunting the 50' incher Ive always wanted.