www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing Report and High Water Flows 6/6/2011

Default Fishing Report and High Water Flows 6/6/2011

Fishing has still been very good to awesome. Got threw a little bit of a curve on Saturday. Our guides made an adjustment or 2 and got ourselves into a very good bite again. We are catching 60 - 100 plus fish per day. Still doing most of our fishing on Case. There is also some fishing done on Sharpe. Not quite the numbers, but excellent fishing. We might get thrown another curve this week on Case with more water flows coming ahead, but I am sure we will figure it out.

A word on the high water flows. We have been getting hundreds of calls and inquiries about how safe it is out hear and if we can still fish and catch fish. Because of our geology of our area it is still safe and the fishing is still excellent. Up in Pierre, Bismark, and below Yankton the river is narrow and shallower below the dam. The water does not have enough room to handle the high water flow. It will slow down and back up looking for places to escape. Below Ft Thompson or the Chamberalin area the River is wider and deeper below the dam, so the water has time to spread out and run. I hope this helps out a little more.

Here is my report for the week, day off today to spend time with daughters. On Monday I had a couple out from Kansas. We had our limit (12) by 10:30 a.m. We caught around 80 fish. Excellent weather and awesome fishing.

On Tuesday I had 2 fathers with there sons from Sioux Falls, SD. The wind blew 30-40mph. The fishing was a little slower. We had our limit (20) by around 1:00 p.m. We caught around 30 fish.

On Wed we had a company group, with most members from Minnesota. We had 6 boats out with all boats having their limit by 11:15 a.m. Also hooked a 9 lb Northern Pike. We caught around 50 fish and quit a little after dinner.

On Thursday afternoon, we had a company group with members from Eastern South Dakota and Minnesota. This will go down as probably one of the best afternoons I have ever had on the water. We caught over 80 fish from 1:15 till 5:00 p.m. Limit had mostly 17-20 inch fish. Also caught alot of white bass. Non stop action the last hour of the day.

On Fri and Sat I had a group out from New London, IA area. This group was interested in taking fish home, so we went to where the white bass and walleyes are. On Friday we caught around 100 fish. We had our limit (16) by 11:00 a.m. Also brought in 44 white bass. On Sat. bit was a touch slower for my boat. Had our limit by 12:30. Brought in 36 white bass. That will be on big fish fry.

Sunday I had 3 generations in my boat from Oklahoma. We had a very good day with nice fish. Most from 17-20 inches. Took awhile to get our fish (20). Had our limit at 1:30 p.m. We caught around 40 fish. Good thing we had Nick (grandson), he put on a clinic, catching most of the fish in my boat all day.

Until next time
    Mike Allen
    Mike Allen
    Allen's Hillside South Dakota Fishing & Hunting Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.allenshillside.com

MIke, are you still thinking the dock-44 ramp will be under by this weekend? I have been watching the plate creek water levels and it has been going done not up. I hope to fish Sunday

The water seems to go up around 1/2 foot per day. I am not sure how high the ramp is. You will have to call Doc 44 to find out.

Mike Allen
    Mike Allen

Mike thanks for the report. Sounds like it still should be good this weekend. Still fishing the 10-16' depth?

Default lake sharpe

hey mike
    i would like to go to sharpe the weekend of the 17 th.
    will i be able to put in at north shore.
    any info would be appreciated.
    thankyou
    don

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen View Post
    Fishing has still been very good to awesome. Got threw a little bit of a curve on Saturday. Our guides made an adjustment or 2 and got ourselves into a very good bite again. We are catching 60 - 100 plus fish per day. Still doing most of our fishing on Case. There is also some fishing done on Sharpe. Not quite the numbers, but excellent fishing. We might get thrown another curve this week on Case with more water flows coming ahead, but I am sure we will figure it out.

A word on the high water flows. We have been getting hundreds of calls and inquiries about how safe it is out hear and if we can still fish and catch fish. Because of our geology of our area it is still safe and the fishing is still excellent. Up in Pierre, Bismark, and below Yankton the river is narrow and shallower below the dam. The water does not have enough room to handle the high water flow. It will slow down and back up looking for places to escape. Below Ft Thompson or the Chamberalin area the River is wider and deeper below the dam, so the water has time to spread out and run. I hope this helps out a little more.

Here is my report for the week, day off today to spend time with daughters. On Monday I had a couple out from Kansas. We had our limit (12) by 10:30 a.m. We caught around 80 fish. Excellent weather and awesome fishing.

On Tuesday I had 2 fathers with there sons from Sioux Falls, SD. The wind blew 30-40mph. The fishing was a little slower. We had our limit (20) by around 1:00 p.m. We caught around 30 fish.

On Wed we had a company group, with most members from Minnesota. We had 6 boats out with all boats having their limit by 11:15 a.m. Also hooked a 9 lb Northern Pike. We caught around 50 fish and quit a little after dinner.

On Thursday afternoon, we had a company group with members from Eastern South Dakota and Minnesota. This will go down as probably one of the best afternoons I have ever had on the water. We caught over 80 fish from 1:15 till 5:00 p.m. Limit had mostly 17-20 inch fish. Also caught alot of white bass. Non stop action the last hour of the day.

On Fri and Sat I had a group out from New London, IA area. This group was interested in taking fish home, so we went to where the white bass and walleyes are. On Friday we caught around 100 fish. We had our limit (16) by 11:00 a.m. Also brought in 44 white bass. On Sat. bit was a touch slower for my boat. Had our limit by 12:30. Brought in 36 white bass. That will be on big fish fry.

Sunday I had 3 generations in my boat from Oklahoma. We had a very good day with nice fish. Most from 17-20 inches. Took awhile to get our fish (20). Had our limit at 1:30 p.m. We caught around 40 fish. Good thing we had Nick (grandson), he put on a clinic, catching most of the fish in my boat all day.

Until next time
    Mike Allen

We are fishing 10 to 28 feet on Case depending on where you are at. Most fish in 10 to 15. Lake Sharpe will be fine to put in on the 16th. Should be a good and busy weekend.

Mike Allen
    Mike Allen