www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Weed Growth on ER Chain

Default Weed Growth on ER Chain

I was out for the opener looking for some weeds...I checked Lynx, Otter, Eagle and Catfish...what I found was scattered weeds at about 5.5 FOW with not much growth deeper or shallower pretty much everywhere I looked. I'm headed back this weekend with my boy and was wondering if anyone can get me an update on the weed growth.
    Thanks,

CowboyHannah:

I would submit with yesterday being the only day on the water that you will find the weeds you left in very much the same condition, though I may know more after tonight as I intend to fish again, just not sure if I will see the same water as I did on Monday or last night.

As I have talked to others through the week, it would seem that water temps are struggling to get to 65*. Monday on the small lake we were panfishing 61.5* was the best we could come up with on the windward side of the lake in the shallows.

Last night we fished a different small lake for 'eyes and had 65*-66* in the NW corner of it (wind blowing in from SE) and as we went away from that portion the temps cooled in the 65-64* range. I was fishing with a B-fishing jig which has a bait holder on it and once I switched to the slow poke, I couldn't tell if there were any weeds there. I was able to find a few with my first jig choice though, but not a lot.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks. By opener I meant musky opener last weekend. So I guess its not too surprising little has changed. I pulled out to fish a lake with good weed growth with much better results.

Default The weed growth on the Eagle River Chain

For those that are interested, the weed growth on the Eagle River Chain is good. I have been pounding fish in the weeds from 3 to 6 deep for 2 weeks. Our Weeds N Walleye school held May 18 -22 also found good weeds but VERY SHALLOW. Here's the difference from other years........ the cabbage weeds and anacaris held most the fish and they were very shallow 1 to 3 feet with the weeds in 4 to 6 feet developing very slowly this year. Why is this happening this year??? Simply because the water flows north here which means it comes out of the Three Lakes Chain. The water levels are so high the dam between the chains are wide open. The current is tremendous. The very "dark water tanic water" from Big Lake, Medicine, Big Stone, Deer and Dog lake is "blowing" though the Eagle Chain making it very dark in relation to what it normally is in the spring. The fish went very shallow. We caught most the fish at Weeds N Walleyes in 3 and 4 feet and I caught several in 1.5 to 2 feet in new cabbage. The normal coontail beds in 4 to 7 feet were void of fish until just recently.

The water is still dark as the dam is still open. Watch your depth finder closely, there are plenty of good weeds on the Eagle River Chain and they are holding fish!

See you up north,

Ranger Rick
    "Ranger" Rick Krueger
    Guide's Choice Pro Shop
    Web Site: http://www.guideschoiceproshop.com

CowboyHannah:

You remember we talked a little via private messenger last year and I knew you were a musky head!!! So I was pretty sure that you were speaking of last weekend and my answer regarding was based on that time frame.

Ranger Rick:

Great explanation regarding the dark water and weed growth!!! Because I never get to the two chains over there, it was very interesting to note the amount of tannic water you are dealing with from south of you.

We have been watching some of our waters be much darker that we are used to as well and it is interesting to see how people are fishing it.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
    For those that are interested, the weed growth on the Eagle River Chain is good. I have been pounding fish in the weeds from 3 to 6 deep for 2 weeks. Our Weeds N Walleye school held May 18 -22 also found good weeds but VERY SHALLOW. Here's the difference from other years........ the cabbage weeds and anacaris held most the fish and they were very shallow 1 to 3 feet with the weeds in 4 to 6 feet developing very slowly this year. Why is this happening this year??? Simply because the water flows north here which means it comes out of the Three Lakes Chain. The water levels are so high the dam between the chains are wide open. The current is tremendous. The very "dark water tanic water" from Big Lake, Medicine, Big Stone, Deer and Dog lake is "blowing" though the Eagle Chain making it very dark in relation to what it normally is in the spring. The fish went very shallow. We caught most the fish at Weeds N Walleyes in 3 and 4 feet and I caught several in 1.5 to 2 feet in new cabbage. The normal coontail beds in 4 to 7 feet were void of fish until just recently.

The water is still dark as the dam is still open. Watch your depth finder closely, there are plenty of good weeds on the Eagle River Chain and they are holding fish!

See you up north,

Ranger Rick
    We had some luck two weeks ago around the bridges from 6:00 pm-8 pm or so. Jigging produces Walleye, Pike and Perch.

Question, as I have only fished the Eagle River chain and not the Three Lakes chain, does anybody recommend a lake and launch down there? I am bringing my kids this weekend and I don't have a whole lot of time to scout out spots.
    thanks