www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Montreal River - Float trip fishing?

Default Montreal River - Float trip fishing?

Not related to the TFF or Mercer area in any way, but it's just a tad bit to the north.

I love fishing smaller rivers by boat, and frequently do float trips out of my little 12ft aluminum w/ 6-horse motor down the Wisconsin River from Eagle River to Rhinelander (where river is essentially like a creek).

I have been trying to expand on my horizons a bit and the Montreal River on the WI/MI border has piqued my interest.

Is this river navigable by boat?

I've never seen this river in person, but have heard of some folks fishing it. Anyone know whether it is doable for float trips with small craft?

Also, any word whether the West Branch (running south of Gile Flowage) is good for a fish n float also?

Thanks for your input.
    Andrew

Of what i have seen from this river before it gets to the gile, I would say not even a canoe. It looked narrow shallow and full of rocks, at least what I seen. I am sure it has fish in it though seeing what it flows out of and in to.

The mouth below Superior Falls is a decent spring/fall coho spot, and I think there's a boat landing at the Saxon Falls Flowage that might allow you to go upstream a couple miles before you ran into rapids. Black Bear Sports in Hurley would be a good place to call for information.

The West Fork above and below the Gile is not navigable, at all really. It's either too high when the floodgates are open, (class III and IV rapids) or too low when it's closed (portage way too much). I'm not sure about the east fork. There's only about 1/4 to a half mile of river between the falls and the big lake, I'm told fishing can be good there certain times of the year but I wouldn't even consider a float trip on that stretch.

do the flambeau. you won't be disappointed

Thanks everyone for the responses so far.

Croix Kid - I started fishing the Flambeau a lot last summer. I'm able to run my glass Lund from Park Falls, into Smith Lake, and then the entire stretch from Pixley Dam to the next one downstream. I've enjoyed good fishing for everything but looking for other options with the little boat and fishing the places less traveled.

How good is the navigation for small craft on the N. Fork Flambeau downstream of the TFF leading into Park Falls? Now that might be an option for a full day float.

The South Fork Flambeau near Fifield also looks like it's worth a try in some areas.
    Andrew

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Default Flambeau River Trips

AndrewR. What so you mean by "small craft"? The trip from the dam down to Park Falls can be done in a canoe, but don't use a fiberglass canoe as you will bump rocks. Midway runs the the trip with Flat Bottom Wooden boats to Holts Landing. I've run it in a canoe down to my home on the Flambeau River near Hines Park in Park Falls. You can take out at Hines Park or at the Agenda Landing if you don't want to paddle/motor the flat water into Park Falls.

What I mean is 12 foot aluminum boat with 6 horse motor. Thanks.
    Andrew

Default navigation of north fork

I just ran a good bit last week, from Robinson's down about to Holt, it is canoe or kayak country - the water is high/normal with some junk in the chutes here and there. I suppose you could run a shallow draft boat but I wouldn't run anything glass... royalex is ideal for this kind of water. Expect class 2 to 3 rapids right now.