www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing this week

Default Fishing this week

Getting ready to head out fishing, will be here until Saturday weather looks good today will post a fishing report tonight.

Default Sunday report

Fishing was good today south of the narrows. Our group caught many walleye and bass, including a 29 1/2 inch walleye and a 39 inch northern. Bass and northerns were biting grubs, husky jerks and spinner baits. Walleye were biting minnows and leeches.

Default Monday

Lots of rain and wind today. Our group jigged for eyes in around pipestone in the morning with good success on minnows and leaches. Caught several bass and northern casting in the afternoon in witch bay on clown husky jerks and spinner baits. The group we had dinner with had good success trolling in witch bay this afternoon.

Default Tuesdayreport

The weather wasn't cooperative today but fortunately the fish were. Winds were high all day so we started near the mouth of witch bay. The first minnow to hit the bottom was promptly eaten by a 28 1/2 inch walleye. Minnows were working the best in the morning producing good numbers of eyes and a few perch. After lunch minnows continued to produce, we tried a few leeches, the bite on them was a little slower than minnows but the fish were bigger including several over 20 inches. Winds are supposed to be high again tomorrow so we are going to stay close to camp. We are all looking forward to the camp shore lunch tomorrow.

Default Wednesday

Today started very windy, we did a lot of casting in witch bay today. Crank baits and spinnerbaits were the most productive for northerns and bass on north banks of witch bay. The witch bay staff fixed a great shore lunch at camp, after lunch the wind finally settled down a bit and at dinner time the sun began to shine. We are headed to the hay field after dinner to look for northerns and bass which have been reported there in good numbers.

Default Thursday

Sunny and very windy this morning when we left camp. It took a few hours but we finally located a nice school of walleye on the edge of a hump. The top was about 20 feet deep and dropped off to 35 feet and the fish were right on the edge. The wind made it a challenge to keep the boat in position. We caught fish on minnows and leeches as well as 3 inch powerbait minnows. White spinner baits have been producing bass and northerns casting along the banks of witch bay last evening and this afternoon.

Thanks Basscat. Keep the reports coming.

Default Friday

I wish I could keep the reports coming, unfortunately our group is headed back to Missouri in the morning. We had a great day jigging for walleye on humps in Andrews bay and on some flats on the south shores. Minnows are still producing more fish but leeches and soft plastics were working as well. Big fish for the day was a 26 inch walleye. Dick has been under the weather this week but came out this afternoon and located some nice walleyed and perch for us. The staff did a great job again this year and the trip has gone too quickly. The fishing was great again this year, we just finished our stuffed pork chops and are getting ready to settle up with Gail and make our reservations for next year. Hope everyone enjoyed the reports, I would enjoy reading some this summer if anyone has time during your trips. I think I'm going to head out one last time and try to catch one more northern before we put the boat on the trailer.

Default Reports

Sitting in my hotel room in Duluth. On my way up to WB. I will do my best to post reports this week. I have a friend of mine who will be bringing his boat up (first boat of his, so he's excited) so we'll be able to cover twice as much water. We will be at WB from Sat to Sat. fishing only until next Friday. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for us. Thanks for the reports Basscat!

Default reports

Sitting in my hotel room in Duluth, MN on my way up to WB. I will try to post as much as possible this week. My buddy has his first boat so we'll be able to cover twice as much water as we usually do when we come up. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for us this week. Thanks for the reports Basscat, they were very helpful.

Sorry for the double post...

Default Good luck Brian

Don't know about the weather but the fish are biting. We caught several northerns trolling in the hay field last evening. We just finished breakfast and are heading south. Hope you have a great week.

Default Thanks for the posts, Basscat!

Our group will be there in a week. Thanks for all the info. Changes take place rapidly as the winds and weather change at this time of the season.

Were there any weeds to interfere with trolling in the hay field? What lures were you using?

What weight of jigs were you finding successful for walleye when tipped with the 3 inch gulp minnows?

Our group is from Springfield, MO. (now or previously).

Default Report from 6/4 + 6/5

After arriving in camp on Saturday, 6/4 just after dinner, dad and I headed out to do some walleye fishing with my buddy Steve and his dad. We stayed close to camp and fished the outlet of Witch Bay near Andrew and tried some humps using Gulp minnows on jigs in depths from 22-30 feet. Did pretty good with our biggest about 20 inches in about 2 hours of fishing. Wind was blowing pretty good out of the west.
    On Saturday, the wind settled down quite a bit and still blowing out of the west/SW only about 7-10 mph. It was overcast and the water temp was 55 when we started. We headed south through the Narrows to fish some main lake points. Fished anywhere from 19 - 30 ft. with 22- 25 being the best. We caught lots of fish with 24 and 25 inch being the best and lots in the 21-23 inch range. The sun came out for awhile and the wind went completely away. We tried some smallie fishing at some of my best spots and came away with little to show. We through jigs, jerkbaits, grubs, every smallmouth bait you could think of with poor results. After dinner went back out and got some small walleyes and then the storm came in and it had lightning with it so we came in about 8pm. Water temp got up to about 60 today, but by the end of the day it was down around 57 in Andrew Bay. That's it for now. I'll try to post again cuz I know how it is when you are coming up and trying to get any kind of info. Sorry musky and northern guys, can't help you. I did catch one northern while smallie fishing up in the rocks. He went about 12 pounds.

Default Fishing report

Sorry, we "threw" jigs....not "through".

Default Reply

Chuwitt,
    The weeds were starting to come up in the hay field, we were able to troll husky jerks over the top of most of them, we had to stop once or twice and clean the weeds off. We were jigging with both 1/8 and 1/4 ounce jig heads, I was using the 1/4 ounce on the windy days but caught lots of fish on both sizes.

Brian,

I had the best luck south of the narrows on a 3/4 ounce white strike king spinner bait with a fairly small willow leaf blade combo. Thanks for the report, we made it back to MO this afternoon and have unpacked the boat and opened all the hatches to let things dry out in the sun.

Matt

I was part of the group from Missouri that made the trip with Basscat. Just wanted to thank him for getting the board active again. Don't think that I can improve on his reports. Now that we're back we sure would like to trade-in some of those 40 degree mornings for the 97+ days we are having in MO.
    I'm sure you will notice some new faces at camp. Gail and the kitchen staff are still keeping everyone happy. Steve has been putting in some good work on the road . Hank is in camp, so all is well.
    Hope everyone enjoys their trip as much as our group did.

Dakota Bob