www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: boat trailer lights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks Chris. I'll try the WD40. It sure would be nice having lights when I go early in the morning or late at night.

Default Light Maintenance

I'll repeat a tip I passed along last year, but first, the most common cause of light failure is the ground connection on your trailer near the plug in. It should be a small screw through a Sta-Kon eye connector which is crimped on a white wire and screwed into the trailer frame. Back this screw out and clean the spot it contacts the frame with light grit sandpaper. It can also help to add a star type lock washer between the connector and frame. Re-install the screw and tighten down solidly.

Another source of problems is in the plug-in connectors. To clean them thoroughly, get a .22 caliber, nylon bristle gun bore cleaner of the type you screw into the end of your gun cleaning rod. Chuck this cleaner into a cordless drill. To clean and protect the plugs, buy a two-part cleaner/protector set. These are small aerosol spray cans. I got some at Menards. Spray some cleaner on the bristles and power it into the female plug using the drill. Run it between the prongs of the male side. When the plugs are both clean and dry, spray on some protector on both male and female plugs. You can clean and restore green, corroded plugs with this tactic. You will probably have to do this twice a season and it only takes a few minutes once you have the proper supplies. Good luck!

Default ground

a couple of years ago my brother had the same prob. went and bought all new wire and rewired the whole trailer . same thing ? was not sure? started looking closer and found each light had there own ground right by the light fixture , cleaned all the contacts tried it again . they worked! we waisted a half a day on somthing that could of been completed in 30 min. Good Luck!!!

Cool

I fought those problems for years. Then I got tired of the fight and rewired the trailer with a complete harness. Then I soldered all connections and treated them with dielectric grease, then shrinkwrapped each connection. That's a permanent fix. No moisture or corrosion can get to the connections...except that white wire for ground. Keep it clean with wire brush.