www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Big Fish Come back question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Big Fish Come back question

This is somewhat related to the guru's thread, however I did not want to jack it.

When we locate a big girl - we usually come back on majors and minors. We throw different baits and change our cast angles. The fish will usually follow several times during the week, however we rarely get her to eat. Often times - we will catch another fish out of that spot - only to realize in the net - THAT ISNT HER.

Is that more common than uncommon? Or are we screwing something up?

That's how I roll. I fish. I leave the catchin' to the pros.
    GO BIG RED!!

My 2 cents.... I think that some fish are just territorial and chase baits out of an area but never eat. I think most here will agree that they have many stories of raising the same fish from the same spot all summer long.
    I know it’s not a popular theory that muskies can be territorial but it’s the only reasonable conclusion that I have come up with. Have see too many examples of what I thought were aggressive fish charge after a bait and follow it out of cover, then turn around and return back to its spot. Then do this same maneuver all summer long regardless of the bait or condition.
    Ed

I think that is more common than uncommon, but I'm a hack, so take that for what you will. I've only had a couple come-back monsters decide to eat and even they were able to avoid a photo session. Those fish that hit, did so on the original bait they'd followed in on. One fish I saw a couple times a day for three and a half days without hitting. I tried multiple approaches and baits, but she was just putting on a show. A true railroad tie with fins. Sometimes I can see why some guys would carry guns with them in the old days. I'm not saying I could or would shoot a muskie, but I understand.

Ryan

Along the same line. I've got another fishing guru question. How long is it after a big fish bites that she's ready to bite again?

Since opinions are still cheap I had intended to respond earlier but then senility entered the picture.I actually tried to find an article I wrote for EA titled(I think);'The Follow,The Return'.Actually had a few goodies in it so maybe Dave can come up with it????
    For now I'll just weigh in on jimmyb's question.Jimmy,they'll bite as soon as my wife returns.Almost without fail.For me?Rarely no matter what time I return.Nevertheless,I return quickly and often with the same bait IF the fish was hot.Real quick if it was hot and there are other people around.
    OK,time for a fish story-only cause my wife will verify it.Many years ago we were fishing a very clear lake.We each had a 50 inch plus follow on opposing points on each end of a lil island.Both low and slow but the kind that went around and around.I probably wouldn't have returned til dark,if at all that day,but the boss insisted.Stories ending?-30 minutes later we returned and we each caught one on figure 8s.Ask her about mine at Op M,she'll love to tell you.Particularly since while leaning over the side to release mine,I fell in and lost my brand new Sunnies.She periodically brings that up.

Maybe upon review I misunderstood your Q jimmy.Now I see the 'bite' thing.In that case,would need to know if it bit and got off,was caught and released,etc before I threw in an inflation proof opinion.