www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 4 weeks

Default 4 weeks

Hi all
    I am down to 4 weeks (bass opener) til I get to visit for a week. I will be staying on the upper end of the lake in Victoria's.
    We stayed just across from there last year but it was the end of July.
    We will mainly be targeting smallies. As from Ohio I have lake Erie to catch and freeze plenty of Eyes.
    What kind of temps are norm for that kind of year?
    What would you say is the best areas to fish?
    What kind of baits?
    What would the best depth?
    Mayfly hatch?
    Any help would be nice?
    Dan

Wow I can not believe all the replys and help I am getting (-:
    Thanks to all that have viewed and posted.

smallmouth99:

We all understand your disappointment, but with all of those direct statement/questions and being 4 weeks away, they are kind of hard to answer... But to then put this statement in "Thanks to all that have viewed and posted." isn't a real warmer/upper if you know what I mean...

The fact that you are coming here to catch fish and enjoy the Northwoods and not coming to take fish home are positives to state, but the weather man can't predict what is happening up here from one day to the next and none of us can either.

In our part of the world, weather norms are just not that. Last year SMB had or were spawning right now, normally that happens into June. Mayflies are already hatching, but the big hexes were hatching in early June and this year may be closer to the summer solstice. The baits you use probably will catch fish, did you read Andrews report and Blue Ranger's??? They all talked about smallie fishing...

Keep reading and the picture will come clearer, also look at some of the smallie posts from last year at this time, just remember that when those things happened last year were a couple of weeks earlier than you will be here this year, I think.

Mark

Mark
    Thanks for the reply. The thing is I have a few extra bucks right now the the wife does not know about. I would like to take a trip to Gander to pick up a few items. What do I need for the normal. I understand that weather, water temps, and moon phases for this time of year changes the fishing tactics. What I am looking for is "normally for bass opener we catch fish in rocky areas 5-10foot deep on top water baits" or "catch them on tubes along the weed edges". something like that.

Anyone that is buying fishing lures with the $50 they found and kept secret from the wife is a friend of mine! I'll be up Wed-Sun with a blue/green bass boat (not to be mistaken with the legendary blue ranger) and feel free to pull up for a quick report. I've been targeting the bass this time of year for the last 6 with a 5 day camp/fish and personally I like to find them with search baits. Spinner baits, jerk baits, shallow cranks, etc. If they are active it won't be too tough to hone in. If they are finicky I either go to the tube, gulp, or baby brush hog, or cut my losses and go in search of a buzz and meal over a crib or river channel. Have fun, good luck, and you can't lose no matter what when you are on the flowage so enjoy, fish or no fish.

Quote Originally Posted by smallmouth99 View Post
    Mark: What I am looking for is "normally for bass opener we catch fish in rocky areas 5-10foot deep on top water baits" or "catch them on tubes along the weed edges". something like that.
    99:

First of all, you are right on in terms of where I would fish regarding the "5'-10' rocky areas" and then use BlueSprint's blueprint for baits...

BlueSprint said it well, ..."personally I like to find them with search baits. Spinner baits, jerk baits, shallow cranks, etc. If they are active it won't be too tough to hone in. If they are finicky I either go to the tube, gulp, or baby brush hog, or cut my losses and go in search of a buzz and meal over a crib or river channel. Have fun, good luck, and you can't lose no matter what when you are on the flowage so enjoy, fish or no fish."

I think he covered most of the applications that are necessary, so now its up to you to decide on the colors and I would say that chartruese and white for smallies is kind of like pink and white for crappies. Will other colors work, I am sure they will, but...

As for the mayfly hatch, it could be over or just starting... If its just starting, maybe a flyrod with some type of mayfly imitator...

Mark

Thanks guys that is kinda what I am looking for. My crank bait box is getting a little empty so I think it is time for some more.
    I will be in a Red and white 16 foot Nitro. As I stated earlier we are staying at the north end of the lake. Sat eve and Sun I most likely will stay around the north end. Mon - Tues I would like to venture down south. Is there any place on the lake to get gas?
    Stop and say hi if you see me.

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Default Gas

Gas may be purchased at the Dock at Donners Bay Resort. Good luck and don't forget to post a report.

just purchased 10 new cranks for my trip. Found money is always nice. down to 22 days. cant wait. Don's post has me fired up

We go early june every year. Almost always use spinner baits. Stike king mini whackers have always been good for me. When the conditions are right, Poppers are a blast.

When you lose those 10 cranks try beetle spins. They work as well as cranks and they arent 6 or 7 bucks a piece.

I usually by the Norman's middle-n I con get them most of the time for under $4 each. Gander no longer carry them so I got a new Strike king and they were $4.29 each. So did not get hurt to bad.
    Thanks for the tip on the spinner bait. I make my own. Can you tell me what kind of blades are on it. and what color.

Silver. 3" chartreuse twister tail. Crappie will kill that if you can find some. Smallies too

Silver single colorado blade is my favorite. But guys in our group use all kinds. I forgot to mention I always add a small trister tail of some sort. Blue and white or chartreuse and white skirts work best for me. Its seams I always get the best action when white is mixed in there. I'm no pro, but find fish every year. And seriously, those poppers right before dark are amazing... If its calm.

Default 2weeks

Down to two weeks. I have a final 2 day walleye tournament on Erie Sat. and Sun. Hoping for some pig walleyes. I think it will take over 80 lbs to win over the 2-days. can you vision what 5 - 8lb walleyes look like in the live well. I have several years ago in a FLW tournament a couple of years ago. Weighed in 40 lbs on day three.
    Any hoo. Been trying to get ahold of Mike (Doc) at Northland lodging for the last 1 1/2 weeks. Just want to make sure he has every thing he needs so i don't have any suprises when we get there.
    Thanks
    Dan Dietz

Default favorite bass lure

Hello Dan, I'm near 60 yrs. old and first fished the Mercer area (including the TFF) since 1959. When all is said and done if I could only pack 1 lure, the lure of choice would be the gold 3" Johnson weedless spoon. I've had wonderful success over the years including bass, smallie or large mouth. Personaly I like the weedless spoon, because you can cast it anywhere and it will retrieve through wood, weeds, rocks ........ you name it. In many cases those bass will be buried in places hard to get at. Anyhow ..... that's just my opinion. Oh, I forgot to mention I usualy use a red or white 1 1/2" rubber worm as a tail......... Best Regards and Good fishing !!! Lar