www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: May 19th Report from Pete

Default May 19th Report from Pete

As a fishing guide I’m often asked “when’s the best time to come north fishing?” Of course I’m of the opinion that anytime you can get on the
    water is a good time but as far as the 2011 season is concerned to this point it doesn’t get much better than it is right now. Water temperatures are starting to climb to temperatures that activate the fish, aquatic weed growth is starting to come on and fish of many species are quite cooperative.
    Here’s what we are seeing right now. The sudden and long awaited growth of the weeds is coming on and it’s drawing fish into that emergent vegetation. Crappies are starting into their spawn cycle. I’ve been seeing them congregating in downed timber in shallow water. Largemouth bass are cruising the shallow water haunts looking for easy meals and are aggressively hitting both artificial and live baits. With the warmer water temperatures I’m starting to find more walleye in shallow water especially in the newly emerging cabbage. Smallmouth bass have not gotten into their spawning ritual just yet but expecting that to happen any day. They have been hanging near rocks and on primary drop-offs adjacent to their spawning habitat. Pike are also cruising the new weeds and will readily attack small crankbaits or spinners. This past week we’ve had a lot of east and northeast wind. That’s usually not the best condition for fishing but “they gotta eat sometime” and it seems that after what I would call a “spotty” week the fish have decided it’s time to get going. During a quick two and a half hour scouting trip today I tried a number of presentations and target species. In that short time I managed to catch 8 largemouth bass, one smallmouth bass, one walleye, and half a dozen crappies. That’s some pretty fair action friends. If you have an opportunity to make it up to our area in the near future I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Remember to check the walleye regulations on the lake of your choice and bass of both species are catch and release only for a while longer. Musky season opens May 28 and I expect it could be a good musky opener this year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waldo May 19 2011 001.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	13302  

Pete Stoltman Regular Fishin' Regular Guys
    www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142

Weston, WI weekdays; St. Germain weekends!

Default Thanks for the report . . .

Can't wait to get back up and on the water!