www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Post Your May 2011 Trip Reports Here

Default Post Your May 2011 Trip Reports Here

Here we go again for 2011. Let's hear what you found, saw or didn't find, didn't see how there on the water during your time in the Morson area of LOTW.

My first report is that it's still a lovely boat ride from the resort out past rabbit point and around the north end of rabbit island, through burrow bay and elm portage and then back to the resort on the east side of Big Raspberry Island.

I did an extra long test beatle on the new-to-us 40 HP electric start 4 stroke Yamaha and I can report that it purred like a well fed kitten.

Looking forward to more trip reports from all of those anglers that can't get enough of Lake of the Woods.

Bring on opening day!!
    Justin Gaudry
    Mylie's Place Resort

Lake of the Woods
    Morson, Ontario, Canada
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/myliesplace
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MyliesPlaceResort/feed
    Twitter: @MyliesPlaceJMan https://twitter.com/#!/MyliesPlaceJMan
    E-mail: jwgaudry@hotmail.com
    Toll Free Phone: 1-866-395-3449

Sounds like its beautiful there. Cant wait to see it.

Howdy. I fished out of Taylor Bay Sat and Sun. Sat morning went to the Gooseneck/Harbor Island area. Caught all of the walleyes we wanted. We only stayed for an hour, and caught 20 fish (not kidding - even for a fisherman). Lots of eater fish and a 22 and 25 incher. Trolled spinners and minnows in 62 degree water in 5-7 feet.

Fished closer to Taylor Bay area in the afternoon and scratched out a few fish. Water temp was 52.

Sunday headed back to Gooseneck/Harbor Island area and fished for about two hours and again caught many more fish. Biggest was a 27" and a few more 22's along with a bunch of eaters. Water temp dropped to 60 and they were in 7-8 feet.

Heading up to the cabin in Hanson Bay this weekend. So far, the weather looks decent for the weekend.

Justin I'm going to be pulling in some time Friday morning with two of my buddies. We are only going to be staying till Tuesday. I can't wait to get there talk to ya next week
    Matt P

Fished out of Morson over Memorial weekend. Night and day difference from last weekend. We worked pretty hard to find walleyes along rip-rap/sand shorelines and rocky points. Mostly caught fish in 10 feet trolling spinners with minnows. Also worked humps off shoreline, but nobody home. Water temps were 58-60.

Default May 27-30

We had the family up to Sabaskong for Memorial Day weekend. We were on the water for a few hours Fri afternoon and had great success in total. The wind was from the S so we concentrated on the boulder / rip-rap shorelines that were getting hit with wind. The first few spots we would catch or 3 right away, then have to move on. The last spot was the most productive and was when the wind really started kicking from the S. Boat control was difficult, but the fish were willing. The largest of that day was a 21". Spinners started out more productive than jigs, then everything was on jigs.

Sat the family went out in Sabaskong and caught many more on jigs in 6-10 ft with the largest being 22". Storms rolled through with lightning, so we cut the day short. Still plenty of fish for a big fry that night.

Sunday we pitched shorelines for a couple hours in the early afteroon, but everything was dead. A beautiful day, though, to be on the water. Later in the day, once the wind picked back up, we tried some jigs in deeper water. It appears the fish slid off after the previous days storms. We caught a bunch in 18-22 feet, including a PB 30.5". Judging from the grayish color, that fish had been deep for a while.

All in all, it definately seemed there were windows throughout the day. We only spent at the most a few hours at a time in between projects at the cabin. The fish always were active in bunches, though, and usually just prior to a weather change such as an incoming storm or a wind shift.

Sure was fun to get back out for baitfish season. Next trip will be for muskies!

Rich

Default Opening Weekend

I apologize for being a couple weeks late on this.

There were six of us that came up for the opening walleye weekend and stayed through Tuesday. The walleye fishing during the entire time was phenominal. It was probably the best we've had in many years of trips to Mylie's.

We were fishing with a mixture of jigs and spinners. Minnows and leeches worked equally well as bait. The walleyes were found in anywhere from 8 to 16 feet on the rocky shorelines. We caught a large number of fish in the 15 to 18 inch range plus a good number over 20 inches with 28 inches being the largest of the trip.

We didn't target any other fish but we did catch a good number of northerns in the 20 to 26 inch range, a few smallies, and a couple large crappies while we were going after the 'eyes.

As always, the accomodations were great. We want to thank Justin, Ellen, and everyone at Mylie's for their wonderful hospitality making this another fantastic trip. We look forward to our return for the walleye opener in 2012.

Happy fishing this year from all of us in the group.
    Jeff S.

Very late report on fishing between May 24th and 28th. Three days and one evening on the water. Fish were shallow and tougher than usual to find. Average size was larger than usual. Caught five five over 22". Released one over 25"