www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Big Chip report 5-15-2011

Default Big Chip report 5-15-2011

Hi everyone,

Guided a half day yesterday. Took Rob and his dad Bob on a run and gun tour casting crankbaits over shallower areas hoping to find weeds and fish relating to them. With the howling wind, I used a drift sock to try and slow our drift. It worked somewhat. The wind was so strong that it blew us past our structures faster than I wanted. What we did was just make more passes by the structures. It worked pretty well actually. Tried to find areas out of the wind, but that howling North East wind was blowing around every where.

We wound up catching a lot of Northerns during that time, and even a Perch on a crankbait. Then Rob hooked into a beautifull Small mouth Bass. It stayed down for the longest time making us think it could be a Walleye. After seeing the size of that gorgeous fish, we were not dissappointed. (picture at botom). Toward evening, the wind died down to a more manageable level. Still using the drift sock, we were able to make better drifts at a slower speed. Rob kept throwing crankbaits, and his dad Bob and I swithched to drifting jigs tipped with minnows. The crankbait action was nonexistent, but Bob started to catch several Perch and Crappie on the jig minnow combo. Every thing was released to be caught again.

We had a howling NE wind most of the day untill the evening when it died down to a Walleye chop. We had a crystal clear blue sky all day, with air temps in the 40's. The water temps stayed between 52-52.5 all day. Still to cold. The weeds are just starting to emerge. In one place, we saw a lot of weeds, but most places, they are just staring to grow. One spot, we had a loon keep chasing our baits. It would swim under water and follow our crank baits to the boat. Then it would surface right at the boat. It did that several times. I was thinking of moving because I did not want to hook a loon, but then it swam away leaving us chuckel at how wierd that was. Fishing the Big Chip is never dull. Good luck fishing everyone.

Waleyemaxx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Robs released 19 inch Small mouth.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	13272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bob was catching the Perch and Crappie.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	13273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loon from hell.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	13274  
    Last edited by Editor; 05-20-2011 at 10:16 AM.
    Tom Christianson
    Professional Fishing Guide

Author The Walleyemaxx Systemhttp://www.walleyemaxx.com/pages/the...ystem-book.php.
    Web Site: http://www.walleyemaxx.com/
    E-Mail: walleyemaxx@yahoo.com
    Cell Phone: 715-617-0894
    Land line 715-945-2138-Radisson
    Tackle manufacture "American Traditions Fishing Tackle CO.LLC.www.americantraditionsfishingtackle.com.

Default Report

Fished the AM on the east side with little success. One walleye in 21 fow and one perch and one crappie. All released and the walleye was 14 1/2 inches. I agree with you Tom, hard for me to control the boat in that wind. After a couple of warmer days in the near future hopefully the bite will pick up.

Default Walleyes still tough

Hi everyone,

Walleyes are still tough to pattern. Getting some deep and shallow, but no consistency. Crappies are picking up, and the Northerns are providing action. Walleye action should improve when the water warms up. Warmer temps with lots of sunshine should do the trick. Good luck fishing everyone.

Walleyemaxx
    Tom Christianson
    Professional Fishing Guide

Author The Walleyemaxx Systemhttp://www.walleyemaxx.com/pages/the...ystem-book.php.
    Web Site: http://www.walleyemaxx.com/
    E-Mail: walleyemaxx@yahoo.com
    Cell Phone: 715-617-0894
    Land line 715-945-2138-Radisson
    Tackle manufacture "American Traditions Fishing Tackle CO.LLC.www.americantraditionsfishingtackle.com.