www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: RFRG 5/15 Fishing Report w/Muskie Matt

Default RFRG 5/15 Fishing Report w/Muskie Matt

We're a week into our 2011 open water season and results have been mixed. A cool spring has extended the duration that fish such a walleyes will remain shallow - a good thing. Water temps for the most part are hovering around the 50-51 degree mark, down a bit from 54-56 the middle of last week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	damfish1.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	13261

On the Eagle River Chain the walleyes have been a bit tough to nail down to one particular spot with mostly little males being caught in the 3-6ft shallows. As the season opened most those little males were still "milking" or in their spawn. That seems to have ended as of this writing. We've caught a few from deeper holes but most are shallow in new weed growth or using the channels between the lakes. The powers that be have the dam opened up, creating current in those channels, a good place to start looking for walleyes on the Chain. The bigger females? Been a few caught but it hasn't been easy, we suspect they're laying right where we're fishing but have developed "lockjaw". Being directly post-spawn and a bout of very cool weather, dropping water temps drastically, may have slowed these bigger females down.

Crappies - Beginning of last week, we were picking very nice crappies from deep holes on our walleye jig/minnows by vertical jigging them, a nice bonus for a slow walleye bite. A couple very warm days last week saw water temps rise and crappies moved into the shallows, 3-5ft of water, making easy targets with a slip-bobber and fathead minnow. The last couple days cold weather pushed them off deeper and turned them off. Beginning today warmer temps and sunshine should bring those fish back into the shallows.

Some very cold nights are predicted, it'll be a crap-shoot as to what that'll do to both the walleye and crappie bite. Long daylight hours and sun should just about override the effects of cold nights and we should see water temps remain steady or slowly rise.

May 15th - Muskie opener in Michigan and our boundary water lakes. Waters such as Lac Vieux Desert, Tenderfoot, etc. are fair game for an early season muskie here in the northwoods. One of my favorite very early techniques for muskie? Sight fishing a small streamer on a flyrod. Otherwise, small minnow baits such as Rapalas, Slammers, etc. are a very good option this time of year.

On RFRG Outdoors Radio this evening we'll talk a bit on "jigging" walleye and about early muskie techniques. I got to thinking while fishing the other day (danger!) and thought the term "jigging for walleye" is a very general term and kind of holds an aura of mystery like another term - "slip-bobbers". Tonight we'll discuss jigging and attempt to uncover some different styles of this very effective method of catching many different kinds of fish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23in.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	13262

Use one of our "listen live" links here on the website at 7pm to tune in. Can't listen live tonight? No worries, we've got ya covered here at RFRG Outdoors. Every show is archived on the website for your listening pleasure at a later date. Burn the file to disc or put it on your ipod, take RFRG Outdoors with you on all your travels!

Here's the real reason we fish for walleyes. Saturdays catch made the foundation for Sundays supper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cookin'.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	13270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fish Supper.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	13271  

Pete Stoltman Regular Fishin' Regular Guys
    www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142

Pete:

Those potatoes look so nice did you pipe them on the plate???

I was going to call with an on the water report, but got a late call from Rob and Kaye at Fibbers and went to help them out eliminating my opportunity to call in... I hope to get back to calling the show soon!!!

Mark

I was a lurker and listened to the show last night. I was just about to call in when officer Kevin called from the Bay of Green. When he finished up it was close to 9:00 and I didn't want to hold you guy's up with my jibber jabber. I thought the discussion on jigging was great. Sometimes you have to change up and let the fish tell you how they want it. It looks like I will be back up there in June to camp at the lake. Some of the relatives want to show the new guy to the family the lake. If I can I will come to the show on June 19.
    Hope to see you guy's then. JJ