www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Possession limits

Question Possession limits

Do you think there should be a change in the possession limit on perch from 50 to 25? Or maybe like it is in the rest of Lake Michigan south of the 45 parallel which is 35.

Not really, just think there should be a limit on the Perch of 25 per day. I did notice you caught 373 perch last week. Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by clubchamp View Post
    I did notice you caught 373 perch last week.
    Where is the popcorn smiley when I need it?
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"

Default limits

i would like to see the limit on perch dropped to 25 from 50. the perch fishery is just starting to make a come back, lets keep it that way. in the 90's there wasn't very many perch caught. now we have alot so lets not spoil it by over fishing.

Default Perch limits.....

Glad to see someone else noticed how many(#'s) perch TomJohn posted. Just how many perch does a guy need to take????

Perch fishing is starting a comeback and if we have the attitude of "I"m entitled to take this many" we'll be back to WISHING we could even catch 25!

Default rights

who cares what one has in there freezer and what one keeps legally. Wow you guys are something else , pretty soon nobody is gonna post here ! If i was able to go out and catch my limit every time i would keep that many too ! But yah i would also like to see the daily limit dropped to 25 just like the panfish limit

I think it comes down to just how many fish can you eat. I don't beleive in handing them out to the neighborhood. What is legal is the possesion limit, including what is in your freezer.

373 fish ???? Now I can see why the resort my father has been going to for nearly 40 years, me 25 years, is pretty much empty in the summer. This has to have an effect on local economy, I can remember many different businesses up and down Delta Ave that are no longer there. Its a shame that there are locals going in and overfishing the bay. Between this kind of greed and the Indians gouging the bay not many visitors are returning year after year

That's a ridiculous comment. I really don't think you can blame one person for the collapse of the local economy. Open your eyes, the economy is a joke everywhere right now and it has nothing to do with fishing. Also, if youre mad about someone keeping too many fish don't blame him but blame the regulations. Maybe people who keep this many fish distribute it to their family and friends, that's legal. You have no idea what people do with the fish they keep and it really isn't anyone's business the last time I checked..

Default Really?

Good fishing reports promote the great fishery we have here, which in turn helps the local economy. This is a fishing report site, put in place to help promote & encourage people to come out and fish here. However the bashing of the sportsman who legally fish these waters is a major turn off for those who might want to come here to spend time and money! You all should be more concerned with making people feel welcome and not having them think that if they are lucky enough come here and catch a limit, that they need to hide it for fear of being bashed! The legal sport fishing that goes on here will never hurt this strong echo system, and don't forget the more people who fish here, the more money there is for stocking and managing the vary waters your worried about!
    Outdoor Network should start to ban the people who bash someone just for posting a fishing report. If they don't take a stand on this bashing problem, they are going to see a lot of use leave this site. There are two other sites that post reports for lbdn and there is no bashing on them.
    -Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    That's a ridiculous comment. I really don't think you can blame one person for the collapse of the local economy. Open your eyes, the economy is a joke everywhere right now and it has nothing to do with fishing. Also, if youre mad about someone keeping too many fish don't blame him but blame the regulations. Maybe people who keep this many fish distribute it to their family and friends, that's legal. You have no idea what people do with the fish they keep and it really isn't anyone's business the last time I checked..
    I'm not saying its one person, I'm just saying what I've seen over the years. I live near Chicago, I know of at least 3 families that used to go up there every year for 2 weeks that no longer go there. What I'm getting at is people just no longer come up like they have in the past and its due to the fact that the fishing has slowed

Questioning or bashing someones legal limit should result in banning from the site. I've been fishing BBDN since 1993. There hasn't been enough fisherman targeting perch in the last 18 years combined to damage the perch population. I spent a couple hours watching a few hundred comourants eat a few thousand perch in garden bay a few weeks ago. This was nothing compared to the hundred thousand birds I used to see darkening the skies years ago.
    Driving away the only guy posting decent reports for BBDN does nothing but hurt the local economy

Default get real!!!

Quote Originally Posted by D Dil D View Post
    I think it comes down to just how many fish can you eat. I don't beleive in handing them out to the neighborhood. What is legal is the possesion limit, including what is in your freezer.
    1 meal maybe 2! 50- 8" to 9" (I know, some Bigger Tommy) perch wont feed an army, I for 1 can eat 20 myself, and if Mom's hungry there goes your 50! If you want to blame someone, blame the alewives, zebra mussels, comerants and so on, 1 perch will spawn more then Tommy John can catch in a year! Im no fish biologist (cant even spell it!) but I know for a fact, Tommy aint hurting the Perch in LBDN!

PS_Tommy send mine too...........

Quote Originally Posted by D Dil D View Post
    This was cut & pasted from the DNR web site fishing regulations:

"Possession Limit: In addition to one (1) day’s daily possession
    limit of fish, a person may possess an additional two (2) daily
    possession limits of fish taken during previous fishing days provided
    that the additional limits of fish are processed (canned, cured by
    smoking or drying, or frozen)"

With that said it doesn't say ANYTHING about giving legally caught fish to someone. So if he gives fish to friends & family or eats them before he goes over the limit, good for him. I'm sure every fish he caught wre not jumbo's .. As the one poster stated he can eat 20 at one time. So a fish fry for five guy's could see 100 perch eaten. For someone to come on this board and BLAME someone who catches fish legally for the poor fishery in LBDN is crazy!! One pull from a illegal net is more fish then any fisherman will catch in a lifetime!! Maybe ALL the lacal's should stop fishing & then the poster who comes up here for his ONE week at a cabin can get his limit & go home happy. With all of the netting, zebra mussels, comerants and other factor's that REALLY affect the fishing, I just had to vent in this post

Most other outdoors sites have a "no questioning a persons legal limit" rule. I don't know why this site never did, but I'm going to work on changing that. In theory Tom, his wife, and his two grand kids could LEGALLY have up to 600 perch in their possession. Michigan has such liberal limits because it does not allow commercial perch fishing in the state. The sport catch taken from a handful of small fishing areas in Lake Michigan is just a drop in the bucket compared to the overall perch population of the lake.

Go fishing. Have fun. Eat more fish.
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Bait Shop Guy View Post
    Most other outdoors sites have a "no questioning a persons legal limit" rule. I don't know why this site never did, but I'm going to work on changing that. In theory Tom, his wife, and his two grand kids could LEGALLY have up to 600 perch in their possession. Michigan has such liberal limits because it does not allow commercial perch fishing in the state. The sport catch taken from a handful of small fishing areas in Lake Michigan is just a drop in the bucket compared to the overall perch population of the lake.

AMEN to that!

Default times

Most people don't come up here anymore cause they simply can't afford it , was gas $4 a gallon then , no ! Its our " Economy ", and like the old saying goes " you have to make hay well the sun is shining " Im sure those perch tomjohn is catching don't bite 365 days a year. I dont know too many people that dont freeze fish for future meals , like when they are not biting or during winter.

Default Perch Limits

I'm from the Chicago area and live on a lake where the fishing is pretty decent. Friends of mine have cabins on LBDN at the end of Stonington. I must say while we enjoy the fishing, the greatest assest for us "flat landers" is that your area is just beautiful. The solitude, the lack of congestion and noise, the UNBELIEVABLE view of the night sky is a great break from the hectic life of living in a region with 8+ million people. I totally understand the passion of the sportsman, but seriously, everyone who lives in the LBDN/BBDN area should not take for granted the raw beauty of what you have. I get up there as often as I can and if I catch enough fish for a dinner or not, it really doesn't matter. My family and I have been there for 30+ vacations and have never had a bad experience. I look forward to being back up again in a few weeks, and if we get fish or not it just doesn't matter that much, it's about hanging out in one of the greatest locations in the county.

I Think all sites have that rule, its too bad that you have to do this! I thought you northern boys played better than the rest? Tomjohn did nothing wrong.....I am sure the commercial fisherman (bye catches in walleye nets) do much more damage than one fisherman!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bait Shop Guy View Post