www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 5/14/11 Fishing Report

Default 5/14/11 Fishing Report

Fishing has been very good to start the 2011 season, Thursday I took Dick Ellis from On Wisconsin Outdoors and Dan Virnig from Birch Island Resort out for some fishing. We started off casting the shallow mud flats with stick baits and pulled a mix bag of Smallmouth Bass and Northern Pike. We were hoping for a couple of Walleye but with the calm winds I think the light was a little too much for them in the shallower water. We then casted slip bobbers with fatheads under them on a shorline and found some Crappie. Most of the Crappie were males but the action was fast. Look for the full story in one of Dick's newspaper columns.

Friday night my son wanted to go fishing, A cold front came thru earlier that day and I wasn't sure what to expect. We put the boat in and headed to the same area that we had pulled some Crappie out the day before. I had a 7'2" med lite Tooth Tamer rod rigged with a slip bobber and my son had his Buzz Lightyear rod. I thru the lines close to some brush and it was game on. I let Chayton reel in most of the fish, after about an hour and a half of fishing we ended up keeping 16 nice crappie and one 15" walleye. We caught a mixed bag of fish including Perch, Walleye, Crappie, Northern Pike and we even had a Musky on for a little bit. The fish seemed to like the bigger minnows and when an area slowed down we just moved down the shoreline a little bit. This is the best time of year to catch a mixed bag of fish in shallow water and when you get on them the action can be very fast.

If your having trouble catching fish stop in and get some tips from us at Ross's Sport Shop or better yet book one of our 4 guides for a half or full day on the water.

Good Luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	141r.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	13258  
    Last edited by John Carlson; 05-14-2011 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Added Picture
    Ross's Sport Shop & Fishing Guide Service
    John Carlson

Web Site: http://www.rosssportshop.com