www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: June Bass

Default June Bass

Hi guys, 1st post.
    I am heading up to Andy Myers in early June for Walleye & Bass. I have never fished bass this early in the year. Any tips on what areas we might find them, in the 2nd week of June? Will they be shallow? Will they be staging prior to spawning? I guess it will depend on the water temperature, or is that so early that there is no way they will be on beds? Suggestions on what to use? Spinnerbait? Crankbait? Jigs? Senkos?
    As you can probably tell, I am pumped about the bass fishing side of this trip! Walleye taste great but catching bass is more fun.
    While I am asking what about Pike? Big? easy to find?
    I have a thouasnd quetions, but I'll save them for future posts.
    Thanks, & looking forward to your replies, but not as much as the trip!!!!!
    Keene

Default herbie-bass fishing

love your enthusiasm man!!
    typically you should be fishing shallow and depending on the section of the lake,type of spring/weather,and water temps they should be in varing degrees of bedding through 2nd week of june.so a real late cold spring they could be pre spawn,a real early warm spring they could be post spawn. the way things are going right now i'd say in most areas they should be right in the middle of it.
    jigs and gulp minnows,jerk shads,seinkos,x-raps,topwaters,spinnerbaits will all catch fish depending on just what is going on. if all else fails a split shot rig with a mud minnow or fathead or leech will do the trick.
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Web Site: http://www.andymyerslodge.com

Default Thanks Steve

I will be watching the weather in your area!!
    What colours of plastics do most people use on your lake? Is it a pretty clear lake?
    K

Default colors

there are diff sections of the lake with diff water clarity from clear to brown.
    in our area and sections easily accessable you will be fishing clear to green so a good place to start is more natural like smelt/black smelt/shiner etc in gulp minnows and flukes/smoke/watermelon/black tubes with diff color fleck accents,whites and white color combos with spinnerbaits,shiner/crawfish/perch with minnowbaits and cranks. while we do use alot of natural colors there are a ton of perch and multi colored dace/minnows so don't be afraid to try hotter firetiger,or rainbow colors.
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Default Excellent!

Thanks for the tips Steve. I will be sure to share them with the other guys. NOT!
    I look forward to meeting you.
    K

Default We're all booked!

Hey Steve, I am part of the Campbell group by the way. We got our flights booked the other day and I understand you & my brother have worked out the lodging.
    I know a few of us, at least, plan on going out in the evenings too. I assume there is good pike fishing also, on the lake? Spinnerbaits & bucktail in line spinners do the trick? Any other suggestions?
    Is there good bass & pike spots reasonably close to the lodge?
    K

Default pike

spinnerbaits and smaller inlines like #3,4,5's will work ,rattle traps,spoons,suspending jerkbaits like husky jerks or similar work real well early,a big chub on a jig with a short wire leader,and untill weeds come up good alot of the bigger pike are caught incidently while fishing walleyes on jigs and minnows or casting crankbaits in the same areas.
    there's some big weed bed and reed/weeds combos in the immediate area of camp,hopefully they will be starting to sprout up and grow by 1st of june or so.we've had alot of nice weather but water is still working hard to warm up. lots of minnows coming in shallow so thats a good sign for gamefish like pike,walleyes,bass,etc moving up shallow and feeding there.
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Default Water Temp?

Hey Steve can you tell me what the water temp is doing re: what the bass might be doing? I see its been a little cooler lately up there but they are calling for warmer weather.
    We arrive late Sunday night & I'm counting the days. Actually Muskie opens here Saturday & I am planning on getting out Saturday & Sunday before we fly out.
    Thx.

Default herbie

water temps low 60's most places.
    bass moving up and action this past week has been going form very good to working fpor them depending on the weather which has ranged for sunny and nice 60-70's to windy ,drizzels,and 50's with best action obviously which typical for this time period coming on the sunnier stable days. should start peaking this next week
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Default Wahoo!

Alright, timing is everything! LOL!
    PS Musky opened today in Southern Ontario & I was luckily enough to catch this one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Musky opener 001.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	13491  

Default herbie

way to go!! you're making me jealous can't wait for opener myself.
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Default Thanks Steve!

Thank you Steve for making our trip a blast. As you could tell when you stopped by our cabins, or saw us in the mornings, we had a great time there. Scotty, Danny & Marty all were great. We caught lots of fish, & 6 different species I think. The food was great also.
    I hope to get back to fish Eagle again soon.
    Bryn.

Here is a picture of my biggest Eagle Lake smallie...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eagle lake smallie 1.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	13739