www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Going stir crazy here....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Going stir crazy here....

Any suggestions for some water to fish that isn't high or muddied up within about an hour or so from Warren? Thinking about hitting lebouf, tamarack or tionesta.

LeBeouf fishes well during this time frame but really heats up fast and drives the fish deeper. Lots of weeds there and some decent pike to boot. I always hear of at least 1 big fish being pulled out of there each Spring/Summer.

It is a small lake and easy to figure out plus there is a bar/restaurant you can access about 50 yards from the shoreline.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Default Congo

The Congo is fishable now. Some folks will tell you there isn't muskie up in the swamps, but I've seen some big boys pulled out while trolling for walleyes!!

Shhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Wait a minute, I have never heard of "Congo". where is that?

It is a place that does not even exist on any map. It would be too difficult to describe to you. Just pretend you never read this thread. lol

It is a feeder creek to the Allegheny River called the Conewango (and they meet in the city limits of Warren) that is the outflow of Chautauqua Lake. The lower portion appears to be too acidic from farmland run-off to hold muskies but once you get into the PA/NY border, the water "cleans" up and has pike/musky.

It is probably the most important waterway in this area for spawning Pike cuz there is a swamp at the NY border where this reproduction takes place. Since NY's season starts so late, it is not legal to take advantage of this area during the spawning time.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Ok thanks Red,

No need to worrie about me fishing it. Just a little to far away from home to go exploreing.

I guess when i read the name Congo, i was thinkin Jeremy Wade lookin for river monsters.

Default Congo

The recent article in Penn lines magazine has already blown the cover on this once secluded area. You are correct about the booby traps though! Oh and it WAS fishable, so much for that idea!! Looks like a creek of chocolate milk coming through Akeley today!!

McDunn, Where did you go and how did you do this weekend?

I didn't end up going anywhere but the river had a family event I forgot about I'm going to lebouf saturday or sunday though. No action on the river was only out for a little bit and I just quite haven't got it figured out when it's high like this.

They cut the river down abruptly on Saturday nite so Sunday's walleye fishing was not so good.....plus the downpour kinda stunk too. I went out with a couple of friends for some fun fishing but it turned out being not so much fun.

A friend of mine just sent me a pic of a 46" pre-spawn brute that came from the river this morning while trout fishing.....Looks to be in the 26-30 pound class. River temps are 50-51 North of Warren and 52.5-53 downstream.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Quote Originally Posted by McDunnoftheAllegheny View Post
    I didn't end up going anywhere but the river had a family event I forgot about I'm going to lebouf saturday or sunday though. No action on the river was only out for a little bit and I just quite haven't got it figured out when it's high like this.
    I was planning on Leboeof myself this weekend. I fish that often with my son who lives in Erie. He sent me a picture of the parking lot last night, It is still under water. We might be doing Lake Endinboro instead.

Default Walleye

Despite the high water Dad and I fished the Zua last night. He's heading to the St. Lawrence this weekend to open the cottage, and wanted to get the boat wet before hauling it 8 hours north. Ended up getting into some nice eyes even with the high water! However the gentleman pre-fishing for the upcoming tourny did not look too happy about the roughnecks in the 14 foot aluminum boat tossing eyes in the live well!!!

I have been hearing about some very nice catches at the Zoo during this high water period........and from the River as well. High, flooded water can really be great for fishing especially in a place like Kinzua that has very little structure.

Spence Petros would be chucking big rubber into those timber areas trying to connect with big walleye. He has written some interesting stuff relating to high water and walleye movements.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Hmmmm, what to do what to do......