www.lakegenevacannery.com

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Fishing gurus, experts, or just hacks like me???

Ryan,
    As usual,you are my hero.Thank you.'Gradient' was the thought/word I needed to jump start a stalled mind when trying to think through cold fronts.Good stuff.

Or............

A rolling stone gathers no moss.

But dragging a spinnerbait does.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com

I get slime,not moss.Also,need you to rig up a couple of weighted 'bulls' with D10 blades for me,I have some stories for you.Please get on it,I know you have nothing to do but sit by the fire and watch Fiona this time of year anyways.

Ok, I am really late to the dance on this one but for some reason I could not get my login to work. Regardless, DP, you mentioned water clarity. Last year I really noticed that the water was definately much clearer, to the point where I felt that the "flame" blades were no where near as effective as in years past. That and I noticed other colors showed better and actually out produced my LOTW go to flame. I thought this was from a lack of bloom in the water since in July we did not encounter much and very little in August. Am I imagining this or are we truly seeing a water clarity change?

Very true Steve.

Sorry DP, did not realize this was being discussed in depth on the Year in Review thread until I read that this morning. I try to pay closer attention.

I'll throw out another observation-valid or not.IMO the incredible bait concentrations that I often keyed on in the past have,with 1 or 2 exceptions,disappeared.I'm not saying the lakes 'fertility' has changed(maybe it has or is) but that certain areas that nearly always 'blacked out' your graph no longer do.
    Implications?I think so,I have(likely far-fetched)thoughts on it,but.....Is it related to water clarity and simply a dispersion of bait?
    I guess all I'll say is think about it.All told,I suspect lots of new 'hot spots' will emerge.Some that in the past would never have been given a cast-or trolling pass.

While looking for info on water clarity I ran across this.Couple of interesting points made but was interested in the Rusty Crawfish tidbits.
    http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/...ownum=39000200

That is very interesting. I was very misunderstood on how long the rusty have been in the Ontario section. Perhaps another factor or element contributing to our recent weed loss???

Hi Andrew.Yeh I'm pretty sure they are the main reason behind the weed issues.What really surprised me though is that they have been in the system since the 1960s.

Too old to go early in this weather so will post a point i've been putting off awhile.This has been a year,still is,that allows one to 'see' water movement unlike ever before.High water,dams wide open,lot's of wind means flow patterns have never been more obvious in my years on the lake.IMO a real opportunity for those that believe water movement is a key factor in fish location.
    Some revelations have been stunning.A relative new spot Frankie and I have had success at consistently had a 'river within a lake' flowing across it 2 days ago that was very obvious.One edge of it so strong it was hard to pull against it even using the wind.And they were there.And some were big.:-)Suddenly a weird spot and structure found by accident made sense.
    And for those interested in doing the Bondy bait thing in deep current,well this year is Christmas near every day.Gotten to know a Canadian guide pretty well and the 'numbers' possible doing that this year in multiple locations are amazing.
    Get out there and observe if you can,some new spots will pay for years.Good fishing!

That's interesting Dick. We have always experienced some of our tried and true areas that were not as good with heavy current (indicator being buoy was leaning over too far) compared to when it had light current. My findings have usually been the following:
    Light current - best
    Changing current (coming back from high wind push)- very good
    Little/no current - good (maybe fish staging for/from current)
    Heavy current - worst

Obviously, the fish didn't just swim away, but maybe they just relocated on the spot? Maybe moved deeper? We did experience that, one year, when the fish moved deeper on a current spot (we call the S curve, I know you know where that is) that we found the fish by counting down tandems and using bull dawgs. They were high on the spot/structure one day when it had changing current and moved off to the deeper channel the next day when it went calm. We figured they couldn't have moved far so we went out into the channel and there they were. Maybe the case is the same for heavy current but we just haven't tried it yet.

Are you experiencing this in areas that are not the classic current areas near channels?

Jeff

Interesting. Do you find the fish hold in the current, or in the slacks off the current, like they might in a river?

Jeff n Tim,not sure there are clear cut answers to your Qs.What I am sure about is that they will be somewhere near it when it exists.I think they relate to strong current like in a river for the most part but there are exceptions to that as well.Many 'Bondy' fish are caught in VERY strong current.Many times we've caught fish with them when it's hard to 'hold' in it and impossible to fish straight down even though the large Bondys are quite heavy.
    As to wind current,there are so many variables and sudden changes(strength,duration,depth and direction)it's hard to say when it's best to fish.There are times it appears too strong yet that strength may make a spot fishable that otherwise is impossible cause of weedgrowth,algae or whatever.
    I could write a book(actually started one once)on my theories but that's all they'd be,theories.The more I fish the more important I think it is but the more exceptions to general rules I find.I know if you find 'rivers within lakes',you have found a great spot to fish nearly anytime weather and other factors are favorable.

Received some great info from a member here on 'rivers within lakes' and he asked about lunar effects and current.Too complicated for me so I fish when I can and focus more on weather BUT said remember,the 'moon' thing is the same,it's all about 'water movement' and keying on it.
    http://www.trails.com/about_5178_moo...s-fishing.html

I read somewhere that the moon related tide on a lake as large as lake superior was negligible, something like an inch or so of measurable change. Hard to imagine it would be noticeable for the fish or the angler?

I hear ya Tim,the moon thing is way beyond me.

Ya gotta look at the cows, if they are laying down, turn around and go back to sleep!
    Of course, it may be kinda hard to find a cow up in your area?
    GLP

Maybe the next big accessory? The Strike King KVD Camp Cow. Better than moon charts or electronics, it will tell you whether you even need to get up to go fishing or not. I can see this thing selling! Might be interesting seeing them with sponsor's wraps on them too.

Heard from a friend and Op M guide who has a place on the Winnipeg River system north of Kenora.He has recently caught muskies jigging and 'dawging' right in extreme current.(full power on trolling motor to hold)No doubt they are right in it at times.I suspect 'feeding' is one of the times.

As usual I browse near every article I see dealing with current.Here's a quote from a bass article I just read.Interesting to ponder awhile.Brings back some experiences I've had fishing 'rivers within a lake' and places like the English River.I even recall times years ago(over 30 yrs ago) on Lac Suel where I put the 10 Believers away n threw Jakes or Grammas.One of those things one never fully thinks through perhaps-but should.Think there is a little meat on this bone.

"Because of their design, flat-sided crankbaits handle current better than rounded baits. They're less affected by the flow and tend to dive and "hunt" immediately, making them more productive in the early part of the retrieve. Rounded baits seem to struggle to right themselves at the beginning of the retrieve, and their hooks will foul more often.

Especially when you're targeting shallow water cover in current, that little advantage for flat-sided baits can be a big deal.

Locate, catch and win!"

You expect us too believe you remember things from 30 years ago !!!!! Come on
    Hope to see you up in August.
    Darren

I can't remember my name or your name(related to a former Prez though I think)but I remember about 4,967 reefs in detail that I could hit or catch fish on in about 50 different shield lakes and doubt I ever forgot a good lure.I do remember Carole and even a few of her predecessors though.:-)
    Yup,see ya in August.

Dick, get your heavy dbl tens. Did you try a 5,6,or 8 oz spinnerbait. 5 ozer is manageable to cast, But I tend to troll them mostly.
    JIm and Lynne

Jim you should feel sorry for the ol man n get me one of them 6-8 oz Sp baits.I have a use planned for them this year.

29k views over 4 years?!?

I think there are books out there that haven't been read that much.

No offense but I think it was 'dumb founded'.

Can't argue that.

But, a catchy title and insightful content from the experts goes a long way.

Aw shucks,can't even start a fight anymore.When you coming up?It's a year to study current.Too much of a good thing actually.Also,sure you remember filming a 50 I caught on a pink Suick-film we never used as I'm sure you recall.I have new pink Suick stories for you.

I'll be there in 4 weeks.

I vaguely recall the 50" on the pink suick, but not why the footage was no good.

I definitely remember the suick muskie that you had hit and not hook up while I was busy getting the camera ready. Just across the way from the grinder spot. Always remember the big ones that get away. Speaking of grinders and fish that got away, I also remember that one on Four Rocks with the blade just fluttering along on the fishes cheek swimming right at the boat. You ever think about that one?

Never happened.

Location,location,location.Whether real estate or fishing it's obviously key.Many of us are wondering where the 'bigs' are located this year and I can now answer that ? with respect to one at least.Yesterday I was headed from the Angle to Warroad in the batmobile.Maybe about 45 minutes into the trip I see a huge white raft of something ahead on the horizon.As I get closer I realize it's pelicans,comorants and gulls and they apparently have found a big mess of baitfish.As I'm going by about 80-100 yds away I'm astounded to see a 'big' explode out n go completely airborne apparently chasing one of many bait fish also flying out trying to escape.
    I'm stunned and stop a minute or 2 but no repeat.As I'm sitting there I look around and there is no land in sight in any direction.I think about punching in a waypoint but then I realize heck,no problem,I can find this spot by dead reckoning.If interested all you need to do is head SW from Garden Island til the western shoreline is no longer visible.Travel about 11 minutes more at approximately 35 mph and look for the white raft on the horizon-voila,there you are,you've found a 'big'.
    Good fishing.

And probably not another musky boat in site!!!!!! The new frontier

Just got to post this.A friend and top notch fisherman recently informed me about a very unique feat.Last saturday he caught a fish in a narrow current channel that measured 48.75 inches.Nice you say but..????

Well he also had caught the same fish in 2010 when she measured 49.25.Again,nice,and perhaps not that unusual right?

But,turns out he caught her in twice in July of 2012,2 days apart,and she measured 50.Now i suspect everyone would agree we are getting a bit unusual correct?

Not really when you consider he also caught her in August of 2013 when she was still 50.

5 times over 6 yrs.In a 100 yd stretch of water.Now we are talking unusual-and a real accomplishment.For man and fish.
    All gospel,all fact.Good fishing!

So the fish shrunk when it got older ?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast