Jeff n Tim,not sure there are clear cut answers to your Qs.What I am sure about is that they will be somewhere near it when it exists.I think they relate to strong current like in a river for the most part but there are exceptions to that as well.Many 'Bondy' fish are caught in VERY strong current.Many times we've caught fish with them when it's hard to 'hold' in it and impossible to fish straight down even though the large Bondys are quite heavy.
As to wind current,there are so many variables and sudden changes(strength,duration,depth and direction)it's hard to say when it's best to fish.There are times it appears too strong yet that strength may make a spot fishable that otherwise is impossible cause of weedgrowth,algae or whatever.
I could write a book(actually started one once)on my theories but that's all they'd be,theories.The more I fish the more important I think it is but the more exceptions to general rules I find.I know if you find 'rivers within lakes',you have found a great spot to fish nearly anytime weather and other factors are favorable.