Well with the thoughts of fishing seasons in the North approaching and opening soon, I thought I’d throw out some discussion points.

In many past weeks fishing LOTW, there are often times where it seems like certain areas can run hot and cold. Not specific spots mind you, but whole areas like the Windigos, Johnston Passage, South End of Tug, The Narrows, etc., etc. Do you agree, think, and/or believe that this is true and does happen, or is it merely an observational coincidence.

If you think it does happen, than what explanation do you offer to explain this phenomena?

I think it does happen, and there the obvious times where the bloom, wind, and/or water clarity are obviously the culprits, but there are plenty of other times that those indicators simply don’t explain the differences in fish activity. There are always days, where you make a plan to hit an area and at the end of the day you are left scratching your head, while other guys went to some other area and were all over fish, and vice-versa. Sometimes you can see what is going on, when it’s obvious, and you jump to another section of the lake to salvage what’s left of the day. Sometimes even that doesn’t work.

Is it just timing? Is it the alignment of the stars?

I know most of this discussion is about the same as long-range weather prediction in terms of its probable usefulness, but I can’t help musing about it.

What make you decide to jump from an area or plan? How long will you stick it out if things aren’t working, but seem like they should be? Is it just a feeling, or do you put yourself on a clock? Is it just about finding the right approach or key that will unlock an area? Thoughts?

Ryan