www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing gurus, experts, or just hacks like me???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Keep a hold of your hat Doug!

Good going Doug-although it likely was calm only on the surface.
    I hope someone posts a few pics,I should give photo lessons I guess.

Damn wind.
    GO BIG RED!!

This wind is causing me to lose hats but I love it.The ducks and geese are knocking them off they are so low.

Did I ever tell you my duck hunter joke Dick?
    GO BIG RED!!

Speaking of Frankie,went to the Operation Muskie website,clicked on the Flag Island web cam and scanned the area closely.Pretty sure I caught Frankie 'working' the open water around the Red Buoy.Looked like a double 10(red/copper of course).

There aren't any fish over at the Red Bouy, the spot is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by dpear View Post
    Speaking of Frankie,went to the Operation Muskie website,clicked on the Flag Island web cam and scanned the area closely.Pretty sure I caught Frankie 'working' the open water around the Red Buoy.Looked like a double 10(red/copper of course).
    see now, Dick, that's just not nice to do to a guy in MARCH...

Hi Andrew.Yeh I'm pretty sure they are the main reason behind the weed issues.What really surprised me though is that they have been in the system since the 1960s.

While looking for info on water clarity I ran across this.Couple of interesting points made but was interested in the Rusty Crawfish tidbits.
    http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/...ownum=39000200

Why do you think Frankie bought a high speed air boat?

I'll throw out another observation-valid or not.IMO the incredible bait concentrations that I often keyed on in the past have,with 1 or 2 exceptions,disappeared.I'm not saying the lakes 'fertility' has changed(maybe it has or is) but that certain areas that nearly always 'blacked out' your graph no longer do.
    Implications?I think so,I have(likely far-fetched)thoughts on it,but.....Is it related to water clarity and simply a dispersion of bait?
    I guess all I'll say is think about it.All told,I suspect lots of new 'hot spots' will emerge.Some that in the past would never have been given a cast-or trolling pass.

I'm leaving shortly to deal with wave after wave of snow geese that are crapping on my roof but need to respond to an e-mail I just received from a 'friend' regarding this thread.

YES,my new Evinrude will go 20 knots(23 mph)so I will be able to troll these lures.

Quote Originally Posted by dpear View Post
    YES,my new Evinrude will go 20 knots(23 mph)so I will be able to troll these lures.
    very interesting; i've heard of people toying with these high-speed saltwater baits for muskies but haven't heard about results...is that because they didn't work well or because no one wants to let the secret out???

and i know plenty of guys are speed trolling, especially places like LStClair, but 15-25mph? wow. those big saltwater fish are built for speed and endurance...a muskie can swim that fast easily, at least for short bursts, but will it expend the energy to chase down food moving that fast?
    only one way to find out, eh? let me know how you do. ;-)

what do you think about these slightly smaller ones? they can be trolled at speeds in the 5-10mph range and are wayyy more affordable.
    http://www.candhlures.com/billy-bait...-game-kit.html
    maybe try one with a bucktail blade rigged in front of the leader for some added thump?