www.lakegenevacannery.com

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing gurus, experts, or just hacks like me???

Default Fishing gurus, experts, or just hacks like me???

Well with the thoughts of fishing seasons in the North approaching and opening soon, I thought I’d throw out some discussion points.

In many past weeks fishing LOTW, there are often times where it seems like certain areas can run hot and cold. Not specific spots mind you, but whole areas like the Windigos, Johnston Passage, South End of Tug, The Narrows, etc., etc. Do you agree, think, and/or believe that this is true and does happen, or is it merely an observational coincidence.

If you think it does happen, than what explanation do you offer to explain this phenomena?

I think it does happen, and there the obvious times where the bloom, wind, and/or water clarity are obviously the culprits, but there are plenty of other times that those indicators simply don’t explain the differences in fish activity. There are always days, where you make a plan to hit an area and at the end of the day you are left scratching your head, while other guys went to some other area and were all over fish, and vice-versa. Sometimes you can see what is going on, when it’s obvious, and you jump to another section of the lake to salvage what’s left of the day. Sometimes even that doesn’t work.

Is it just timing? Is it the alignment of the stars?

I know most of this discussion is about the same as long-range weather prediction in terms of its probable usefulness, but I can’t help musing about it.

What make you decide to jump from an area or plan? How long will you stick it out if things aren’t working, but seem like they should be? Is it just a feeling, or do you put yourself on a clock? Is it just about finding the right approach or key that will unlock an area? Thoughts?

Ryan

From one hack to another,i suspect its a combo of syzygy and water movement in general.Subject always of course to the 'Big Fish Theory'.
    (http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Fish_Theory).

If I could figure that out I'd be a guide!

Doug Johnson

Ok, so I'm not saying what are the answers, per say, but what are some ideas? Maybe if i start with just the basic question.

Do hot and cold areas really exist, or just a lucky connection on the spots in that area you happen to hit that day?

Thanks, Dick. That should open up a lot of doors for me.

I don't really think there are hot areas, or cold areas unless they are effected by something like an algae bloom. What happens from one hour to the next is very hard to predict.

You may go through an area, and get nothing, an hour later someone else goes through the same area and does well. Seen it many times.

There's no magic.

Doug Johnson

Default Rusty Crayfish

I think certain areas are Hot because of the weed growth...this is good info here LOL... Every year I will fish a spot area that has really nice weeds and the next year all excited to get there and bam no weeds flat as a board. I know last years weeds will probably be gone due to those rusty's. When will those weeds come back? Do the rusty crayfish die after all the weeds are gone?

T,I think it's anyones guess on the crayfish.Whats amazing is that if bass can't control them on the Woods,hard to believe they can be controlled naturally anywhere.
    http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/ais/rustycrayfish_invader

F Whiz,Did you conduct the experiment in the materials cited?Results from that will be as helpful as most speculation here.After that experiment,no harm in doing more experiments on the water on your own.
    There is only one true source for the answers you seek-the musky gods.Unfortunately they talk only to me and,to be honest,I haven't had any meaningful communication with them since I quit drinking.

Tim, The funny thing with the weeds is if they are gone I have found out that the fish still just use the sand there are bays that have no more weeds but still hold fish. And the hot area always seems to be the area we are not in .lol
    Darren

As someone that would come up for a few weeks each summer for about 12 years, I really never took the time to ask why fish related to an area or spot one year and then gone the next. Too busy getting on a pattern.

Now that I have had a couple full summers on the woods I have noted a couple interesting things.

Definitely a migration takes place in some areas where the fish pack moves towards the open water. You can kind of follow the pack in their progression.

Some spots can be terrible during the day and crazy good late in the day and evening.

Water temp is a big player on mid lake rock spots.

Wind direction is a big player on mid lake rock spots.

Speaking of rustys, one thing we noticed last year when we were up walleye fishing was that the bite was getting a little tough and people were just trying different things and one guy had a package of Powerbait Crawfish that he got on the Wal-Mart clearance pile and within minutes he was catching more and bigger fish than the rest of us combined. I thought it was a fluke but he just kept catching fish. I have added a few packs to my arsenal for this year as a result.

My philosophy is simple...fish as far away from DP as possible...that catfish stink bait aroma is a killer.

Having fished with DP must have been this cartoonists insperation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STINKBAIT-6.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	13260  

Here's another thought, and I find this at times. If you are going though what you think is a killer area and not having much action, it may well be that you are right behind someone else (Pearson?). Sometimes this happens and it will seem like the fish are off in an area, but that's because they where just caught. If you are running into a lot of fishing pressure in an area it doesn't hurt to move a little.

Over all (45 years of trying it) I don't think I've ever seem an area that was slow and another area that was hot on the same day. However, I've seen lots of areas that are effected by fishing pressure, or at times bad water conditions (muddy/algae, etc). Then it's time to look else where.

Doug Johnson

Gotta love all the great info you get on Frank's BS (Bay Store) Outdoor Reports forum. Here's my hackers 2 cents worth.

Predictability is always a tough subject. But... In the early part of the year it goes without saying that for the most part, weeds play probably the most important role in finding fish.
    When it comes to weeds one thing I notice that does come into play quite a bit and varies from year to year, spot to spot, hour by hour is how current effects them. Not only where the weeds are growing and how fast, but what they're like under the surface. How you'll fish a spot and notice the weeds that were so thick and up near the surface last night you could barely get through them with your 300# of thrust trolling mtr, yet this AM they are now lying down so much you don't even know they are there.

The problem is there are so many things that effect current. The weather, not only where you are but several miles away. Wind direction, and even wether or not they're letting in or out water, etc. etc. I hate to admit it but Dick's right. Probably one of the best ways to predict current is "Syzygy".

you see the same thing around here where the fish will be absent on one lake while a hot bite is going on another lake just a few miles away. since the Woods is a "lake of lakes" might it be a version of the same phenomenon? that doesn't do anything to explain the cause, but it might suggest approaches.

when approaching that issue around here, people will "lake hop" until finding somewhere the fish are active. once those fish are found, it's often true that other lakes nearby with similar characteristics are also going.

if we have the luxury of multiple boats on a trip, we like to plan out a coordinated approach: each boat fishing different kinds of structure or different kinds of water to get more information more quickly. it's a version of "lake-hopping" on a big lake like the Woods. and rather than fishing the same kinds of structure over and over waiting for the fish to show up where we're fishing ("you will eat a bucktail on shallow rocks or else!"), we also plan out a run for each boat that forces us to fish different kinds of structure, depth, and water during the day - especially the first couple days of a trip. by sharing info, once someone's on fish the other boats can seek out similar areas and pick up the pattern.

Mike I like that 'lake within a lake' concept and once upon a time actually gave a seminar in your State on that subject.Will comment in a paragraph or two but first I see Mr Sully has been active since my last visit so a brief comment on that first.
    Sully I love ya man but these last posts confirm the validity of 'string theories' and the concept of 'parallel universes'.(I hope the few friends you have will do a search on those cause undoubtedly it would lead to a better understanding of you).No doubt you are in or from a dimension or universe the rest of us can't access.
    Mike my earlier thoughts and feelings on this arose out of my travels from one part of the lake to another within a day or a few days-finding some areas productive,others not FOR ME.This lake is not only large but many parts are significantly different from others.For instance contrast the 'trout water'(Whitefish or Clearwater Bays for example)from say other Meso parts.Differences in temps,depth,fertility,water clarity,weed growth and on and on are very significant.
    Then consider geography a bit.Small bays vs large open tracts;deep underwater ravines and narrow necks/channels often running for miles vs massive shallow flats;etc.
    Then throw a number of inflows into the lake and a massive natural water movement generally south to north in opposition to massive wind induced water movement often prevailing from the west and north and one can certainly conceive of 'differences' occurring throughout the system.AND,all this before considering day to day weather influences that may well present one with pre front opportunities in one section vs post front misery in another.(god,isn't this chit great!!!I love the lake!)
    I honestly could write a book on this but in an effort to wrap this up i'll try to sum up my view briefly:This lake is in constant change and transition.Always has been and will be.Every day is somewhat different at least in some respects from one section to another.We not only have(I believe are blessed to have)daily changes to challenge us and keep us focused but we,of course,have the seasonal changes or transitions(feeding peaks or valleys???)occurring and varying from section to section.Soooo,MY 2 CENTS=When we experience hot/cold areas it only means an area may not be conducive to OUR chosen locational and presentational approach.Where we are focusing and how/what we are presenting and doing-keeping in mind that others usually are doing things different successfully in the very same lake sections.AND,as Doug mentioned,their 'doing it' in itself(ie,'pressure')can be a factor that screws us in that lake section.(as can algae at times)
    IT always IMO boils down to applying the formula- F+L+P=S.
    Mix it up-or move I guess.
    Ryan,you may recall some years ago in my EA column I interviewed 'Big Mother',a huge fish from the Lake.Dig that out,her comments might help you.
    Good FLPing!!!!!

Here is part of an article by Mr. Pearson on the ERC site which seems on-point, or at least related:

"3. Areas and Style: When things are slow or inconsistent should one travel, or stay put? Run and gun, or slow down and pick structure apart? Do a little of all of the above?

Tough questions and who really knows, because if it lands right and flashes right the musky gods can make you happy no matter where or how you fish, but here’s a broad stroke picture of where I’m at on these questions after the past few months’ experience.

First of all I believe the grass can in fact be greener in different areas. I’ve known for years some areas of a massive body of water such as Lake of the Woods can at times be better than others—likely for good environmental reasons. However, I’m not talking a change of a few miles. I mean really different sections of the lake. No doubt in my mind that for a while other sections were better than, say, the Northwest Angle area, and vice versa. So do you travel and see? Sure—if your boat, knowledge of the lake and wallet permits. Why not try? On the other hand, if you have limited time, I suspect it may not be worthwhile.

OK, if I don’t travel, do I go slow and pick apart an area? Or do I run and gun and cover lots of water? There are good arguments both ways, but to me it depends on what I’m after. I’ll go faster to just find fish but there’s no doubt in my mind that slowing down and picking apart structure is the better way to catch ‘good’ fish.

“OK” you say, “but what area? Anywhere?” For me it’s a matter of sticking to known good or big fish areas, then picking them apart and being patient.

Let me give a few examples. This past month we spent 9 days filming for a video. Moving fast, we covered water and got a decent number of fish on film. However, the two biggest fish came on spots that hold few fish but were spots I had confidence in for big fish based on past experience. These were spots that I slowly—very slowly—picked apart despite nagging fears of wasting valuable (and expensive) camera time. How slowly? How patiently? How thoroughly? Rarely are we ever fishing spots too slowly, patiently or thoroughly I’m afraid.

One that got away gives us all a clue perhaps. We arrived at a small rock saddle—say, 40 yards wide and 50 yards long. I fished it thoroughly—or so I thought. When done, we decided the camera man should get out on a rock and we’d film a segment of how I would normally fish such a spot. Being a type A, I can’t just stand there while he gets his gear ready to get out, so I fire a jerk bait down an edge that the same jerk bait had visited at least twice just minutes before. Nothing. He’s still messing with his gear so I fire the same bait to the same spot. Two jerks, and the sea parts, a black hole opens up and a huge, slowly thrashing head emerges chewing on my bait, which ultimately is sent back to me via air mail. On film, even the loss would have been priceless, but all we end up with is dismay and the sickening acknowledgment that we often really are casting to she beasts, but most times they don’t move with just a cast or two in their general area.

A few days later I was telling my friend and retired DNR biologist Bob Strand about the incident, and he related the view of an old time Eagle Lake guide on this issue. This guide, with many huge fish to his credit, advocated that when on a known big fish spot, a minimum of 20 casts or so to each part of the spot should be made. Wow. Afraid I can’t go that far, but as time goes by, and such experiences accumulate, I’m beginning to wonder. Food for thought I think."

Dave,
    A couple things about what you quoted stick out and the first one resonates louder now than years ago when I wrote it.Should you move?

"Sure—if your boat, knowledge of the lake and wallet permits. Why not try? On the other hand, if you have limited time, I suspect it may not be worthwhile."

While boats and Navchip changes have altered this statement some,the 'wallet permitting' part likely hasn't with todays gas prices.Likely to be less 'worthwhile'.

Secondly,guess who the camera man in the incident described was?Maybe I shouldn't say.

Dave,
    Thanks for reminding me of the ERC site.Since we sold I had forgotten about a few of the articles still located there and one in particular is a good thought provoker at the beginning of any season.It never has been well received or discussed much but IMO merits reading for anyone.I'll take the liberty of referencing it.

http://www.esoxresearch.com/research...rner_art08.php

Have a great season!

Ahem... you would think those long South Dakota winters would give a guy a chance to come out with another book. <ahem>
    Last edited by NETim; 05-24-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: incomprehensible sentence structure
    GO BIG RED!!

Tim,
    Long SoDak winters?Not really,sure it seems to never end,sure we get a tad of snow(the last drift on my place departed late last week)but you mean there really are places where it doesn't snow 8 months,then turn 105 degrees for 4 months?Actually,upon reflection,I spend so much time shoveling/plowing I have no time to write.
    Furthermore writing a book presumes a few things.First one should have something new or profound to say.Second,one should have the ability to write so it can be said in an understandable fashion.Finally self publishing takes $$ no matter what one hears nowadays.I fail all three presumptions.
    Having said this,I can be totally shameless if a buck($$ not deer)is involved so the threat is always there and something for the muskie public to be apprehensive about.I do have a few chapters done,I do have a pile of notes and thoughts about 6 inches deep,and the Boss has okayed the 'investment' so why not?Simple-I have writers block which translated means I'm lazy and too busy being 'retired'.Yet...,one never knows I guess.I did go so far as to successfully approach a young muskie 'guru' about contributing a few sections on 'new technology'(to me thats anything beyond a rock n rope)and how to use it but then let him down with my laziness.This guy is smart and even catches fish so that part of a book might actually be meaningful.
    Who knows,as stated,the threat still exists I guess.

Seems to me a book in your case would almost write itself.

Come up with a catchy phrase or two, (I dunno, something like "Let the wind do the work." or "A lure is a tool."), throw in a colorful Oak Island neighbor and presto! Best seller!!

GO BIG RED!!

You know,a book totally about the colorful neighbor might just work!Might have to be a series though-its ongoing and has a life totally of its own.A work of Frankness,not art.

Back to the topic, i'll be heading to the woods for my 11th year this year and I agree it seems like every year there's a certain hot area for that "week" as thats all the longer we are up. We spend the first couple days checking old areas and searching new but when we find fish we try to capitialize on them by recognizing the key areas they are holding in and then just locating as many of those same elements as possible for that day. If it's a big fish that is located we will come back many times throughout the day and usually get something to go during the majors and minors as we see day in and day out those timeframes have been crucial for our success. But yeah I know what you mean. One year you have them all dialed in close to camp and come back the next hoping to pick up where you left off and it seems the whole area is void of fish no matter what time of day. That's always a bummer!

Mr Musky
    Last edited by Mr Musky; 05-24-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: mispelled word

OK,sort of related to this topic I guess.Was asked to find the 'Big Mother' interview.Here's the unedited version.

AN INTERVIEW WITH BIG MOTHER
    For years I had heard about her.Often on the dock at days end,’that Big mother got away’,but heck I’ve heard ‘Big Mother’ stories wherever muskie gals and guys gather.Over the years I’d likely even had a glimpse or two of her but then,last summer on Lake Of The Woods,I had her on briefly in a sad, heart wrenching experience I wrote about last issue.Still pondering that experience,I thought,if only I could talk to her,get an interview,get her side of all these stories,get answers to those key questions I have every time I head out looking for her,answers from her perspective,a look at fishing through her eyes,wow!
    Then I thought,why not?So I put out some feelers and by gosh she granted me an exclusive interview.What follows here are her answers to many of those questions that haunt all of us.Think and enjoy.
    DP: Big Mother,I know you’re about ready to head into that Bay over there to spawn so I appreciate you taking the time to meet me here in this adjacent deep hole and answer some questions before ice out.Do you mind if I address you as ‘BM’?
    BM: That’s fine,ask away.
    DP: BM,I’m a PC guy and know some ladies are sensitive about their weight but I’ve been fishing your kind for a long time,and while I catch(and release)a fair number of muskies,and a few nice ones,frankly I rarely see and never catch any your size-why is that?
    BM: Ha,well that’s a broad question,writing a book?Anyway,let me start out by saying a big reason is you don’t practice what you preach.You preach’ thinking’and do very little of it.You advocate having a plan,yet rarely follow or stick with one yourself.I see you around occasionally but you’re almost always in such a hurry you don’t see me.Heck,most of the time you just drive right by,going only you know where.
    DP: Ouch,is thinking or having a plan the wrong way to go?Can you get into a few specifics here?
    BM: No,thinking and planning is the only way to go-absent blind luck-but you must practice what you preach.You don’t have to make it rocket science either.I hate to sound Al Goreish or like a ‘green’ weinie,but never forget, ‘environment’ means everything to us.We are ectotherms after all.
    DP: Ecto what?
    BM: Ectotherms.Often we are referred to as cold blooded(a misnomer),but really it just means we have no internal system to regulate our temperature and therefore depend on outside(ecto)sources to establish our temperature(therm).We pretty much are what our environment is.If the water is cold,so am I,get it?I think you do,I’ve read your writings on our ‘comfort zones’ and what we like and dislike,yet you really don’t seem to keep the importance of our environment in mind when fishing.I’ve been around a long time,I’ll be 26 in May,and I’ve learned how to deal efficiently in my environment.At my age,I don’t have to struggle and scramble for food,I wait til conditions suit me before I feed.You know pretty much what conditions I like,wouldn’t it make sense to focus on them more?To always consider them?To consider the effects weather and other factors might have on them-and therefore on me?Some conditions cause stress and make me react differently,if you want to find me under stressful conditions,you have to know and understand my environment-and just how I react to change and stress.
    DP: Ah,I get it.Okay lets talk a bit about your environment and conditions that stress you out.What are they?
    BM: Well there are a number of them,natural and man made but a main one is weather.Weather is something you should always consider when looking for me.Before and during your fishing trips.Of course it’s a broad subject-I guess winter and ice conditions are an extreme example of ‘weather’ with profound implications on my location and activity level- but I’d suggest you focus your questions on fishing season issues.
    DP: I agree,well let me go right to the dreaded ‘cold front’ issue.Do cold fronts really have a significant effect on you?
    BM: Ha,a Bozo question,what do you think?I could spend an hour on this but to avoid more stupid questions I’ll just discuss it generally.
    First,as you hopefully know,a cold front is a low pressure system that most often brings with it high humidity,wind,rain,and warm temps.Its ‘change’ but change that’s largely good for me in terms of comfort be it temperature,oxygen,water pressure,PH,light penetration,whatever.This affects prey as well.It almost always is a period of great activity underwater and presents me with a significant feeding opportunity.Never forget,my computer has a chip that contains a genetic program developed over eons of time and through experience that tells me when and where to go to have an advantage over my prey.Sweet huh?Give me a comfortable opportunity to pig out and I’ll be there.Smart fishermen will be also.
    However,whether listening to politicians preach it,or fishermen praise it,never forget that ‘change’ is a two edged sword.The problem isn’t cold fronts,it’s what follows them.High pressure,’high’ skies(increased light penetration)and lower temperatures among other changes, combine to stress me out.When water temp drops,so does mine.Remember though,its not only the drop in temperature,which sometimes isn’t that drastic,it’s the high pressure(air and water)that affects my bladder and therefore my neutral buoyancy-talk about a gas problem!The more drastic the change,the more it affects me.The pressure may actually cause me to change depth ,or it just may make me lie dormant in place, but it’s a serious gas problem.Throw in blinding bright light,a likely PH change caused by the fronts accompanying rain,and you have a situation where my sisters and I aren’t much interested in your feeble presentation efforts.Oh sure,we may have a few young,small, nephews and nieces running around still chasing things,despite their reduced metabolic rates, but usually even they get the word and lay low until they can adapt and conditions improve.Does this help you appreciate the effects of a cold front?
    DP: Indeed.It makes it seem nearly futile to fish after such a front.Is it a waste of time?
    BM: Well its sure tougher fishing and its very unlikely you’ll ever get me but,to be honest,every now and then a sister does get caught in post front conditions.Anticipating some questions,let me give you some general rules and ideas.
    First,there’s no excuse for not being aware of an impending front and taking advantage of the increased activity preceding and during the front.Hate to admit this,but I’m more vulnerable then than any other time.
    Next, don’t automatically assume I’ll go deeper post front.In clearer water I may,but other times I may go shallower to warm up in the sun.
    The more drastic the ‘change’,the more profound and longer the negative effect on me.
    There are areas where the post front effects are minimized.If I’m in such a spot,I just may grab your lure.For instance in areas where there’s significant water movement(I read about your ‘chaos and turmoil’ theories),wouldn’t water temps,oxygen,PH,etc. be ‘mixed’ and therefore change minimized?Ditto on light penetration?Ditto on water pressure?Wouldn’t prey be concentrated?Think Bozo, think.
    If my metabolic rate has slowed,I guarantee I’ll move slower and travel less so think about what this means in terms of your presentation.However,I’m rarely inclined to pass up a free morsel right in my face so….Can you say ‘reduced strike window’?
    Time heals all is an old phrase that holds true.I’ll get more active as time passes and I adapt.Combine that passage of time with other environmental ‘edges’ such as dusk and a surface bait and who knows what I might do?Like most females,I’ve been known to lose control.
    Are you done soon?
    DP: Heck no,I’m just getting started.I’d like to chat about some other conditions that cause you stress-and how you react to them.You said there were a number of natural and man made ones.What about thunder and lightning?Algae growth?Wind?Fishing pressure?I even want to chat about the ‘Cowgirl’ thing a bit-that must cause you some stress.
    BM: Well right now I’m short on time and I have a date in yonder bay but I’ll meet you after spawning IF you agree to leave the Cowgirl type baits and questions at home.
    DP:Wait,wait,wait,what do you mean leave those kinds of baits home,are they causing you that much stress?
    BM: Shut that recorder off,we’re going off record.NOW!
    Well folks,that’s it for now I’m afraid.She was mad and went into a rant about the ‘Cowgirl’ type baits(in fact she fumed about more new ones coming out,Gerry's Girls,Turbines,etc)She was upset about the fact few of us,if anyone,had a clue as to why a number of her sisters had succumbed to them.How she had nearly bit one and on and on.I tried to placate her by saying I understood that they must nearly short circuit her lateral line but that only led to a further rant about how little I(we)knew,how we should know that her swim bladder,like her lateral line,is very sensitive to ‘vibration’ and is also connected to her sensory system and then,suddenly she stopped talking and said” that’s it,I’ve said enough,I’m done talking.”
    She did promise to talk further after spawning so tune in next issue,I’ll get the answers.
    Good fishing!
    Remember:thinking is just being thoughtful.
    Dick
    copyright DP
    Last edited by dpear; 05-27-2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: correction

Wow. Cool interview.

With the latest Musky Hunter magazine touting the bennies of thermal warming, those south facing sand bays/coves/garages will see lots of pressure this year on LOTW.

If I were lucky enough to visit LOTW this summer and got hit with post cold front conditions (water temps dropped a few dedgrees or more), I'd be ignoring the sand and looking for DP's favorite BLACK FRAGS.

Man I miss LOTW.

jlong

Thanks J,tough interviews.As you may recall I got a couple more sessions with her although I never did publish the 3rd one yet.(EA went down)Maybe if I ever get to that book but......
    The third was particularly difficult cause her 'Fishbook' friends were also weighing in at times-especially 'Heavy Horse' and 'Big Pig'.Hard to keep up with all the social 'networking'(they hate that word for obvious reasons)going on at the time.Heck I even recorded a 'Fweet' from 'Big Bitch' that mentioned Frankie no less.
    I suppose I could find an unedited version of the second interview to post here but that ones painful cause she belittled me yet called Doug J a 'cutie' and said he 'had a way with women' if memory serves.Will have to ponder that awhile.
    Good fishing this year!

repititious
    Last edited by dpear; 05-28-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: error time

Yeah, I truly believe the big girls think Doug J is "cute". I've seen the pics!!

Thinking?!? Is there any other way to approach muskie fishing other than thinking?

That's asking too much IMHO. I'm switching to perch.
    GO BIG RED!!

Tim,
    There must be viable alternatives to my kind of thinking,at least I hope so.I have a mirror you know.

As to Doug and the 'cutie' thing,I hear ya.I had Big Mother and her friends do some spot success polls around the Lake for me.Turns out Doug has over 40 of those 'girlie pics' on one complex alone.Can you say 'envious'?

I dunno if there's much wrong with your thinking Dick. Wasn't it just last year you had a morning of three 50's the week we were there?

That's a good morning in any Muskie man's world I'd say. Some thinking HAD to be part of the picture I'd say.
    GO BIG RED!!

Well Tim I dunno,I think there's a saying about a blind squirrel and an acorn or three but I can't think of it right now.I'm thinking the mirror doesn't lie,had I been thinking,I think I'd look better after all these years of hard thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by dpear View Post
    Well Tim I dunno,I think there's a saying about a blind squirrel and an acorn or three but I can't think of it right now.I'm thinking the mirror doesn't lie,had I been thinking,I think I'd look better after all these years of hard thinking.

Now you're getting a bit too philosophical for this old farm boy.

I try not to think too much and my fishing shows it.
    GO BIG RED!!

Wink

...blue bird post cold front NW winds..... a south-south west facing sand bay protected by the wind, can make your day!

I’ve been on the road far too much in the past week, and not a mile of it in pursuit of muskies. A real shame. I must say I’m glad to see some real discussion has sprung forth from the loose threads that were hanging out there. If I were a thinking man’s type of muskie fisherman I’d jot much of these ideas down in a notebook to reference on the water, but alas laziness prevails, and not surprisingly I’m so far from retirement that the word shouldn’t even be used by me. The worst part is that my one opportunity this summer to once again fail at attempting to apply our resident guru's vast knowledge lessons on the always beautiful LOTW, doesn't sound like it will now be happening. I guess there is always next year...?

Thanks Dave, for bringing back that sour pit in my stomach for being too slow on the draw. Of course, I blame the camera owner who only lent it to the Star to use with a case straight from Fort Knox, making quick draws nearly impossible. I guess he knew who he was dealing with, and so we must all live with the great shot that never was. But since we’ve gone there I must bring up the complete lack of hookset on a slow-rolled spinnerbait monster who swam along the side of the boat with the spinner blade just fluttering on her cheek before opening her massive mouth and swimming away up on 5 Rocks.

Ryan

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast